Pro 54 white thunder

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Barney

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody knew if/when CTI will expand the white thunder product to more than the 5 and 6 grain K motors? I'd love to see it in the 6Gxl and the 4 grain (seeing as those are the only cases I have at the moment) Any ideas?
Thanks.

Maybe they are too busy with the new Blue Lightning forumlas?

no no, it's gotta be the Tabasco Red Smoke motors they're working on.

camon guys, I know the name is similar to white lightning, but the burn characteristics are different. it burns alot faster and has smaller grains in the 54mm variety.. an aerotech full K in white lightning is the K700, the CTI full K in the white thunder is the K1440. its not like the copied the formula just cause its a white smoky motor. Are you gonna say Aerotech is copying NASA cause the white lightning motors look similar to the shuttle SRB motors?

if the burn rate is 2x as fast as their standard propellant then the 6Gxl would be about an L1500 which would be sweet in this carbon fiber min diameter rocket im working on :D

The shorter grain lengths will do that in a motor.....
SRB propellant is a totally different animal in itself.

JD

Yep. Very high Isp, decently fast burn (I think it's around the burn rate of blue thunder, if not faster), and IIRC, you need a longer CC to really take advantage of the Isp potential. I'd love to make some once I'm more experienced and experiment with it a bit.

Not positive but I have flown the K1440! I Believe that is the 6 grain... (K1200 is the 5?)

Great motor, flew the K1440 and L730 in my nike smoke a few months back, the K1440 kicked it off the pad similarly to the K1100T, but it burned for what seemed to be almost twice as long!

Took it to over 6,300'... Then I threw the L730 in there and cleared 7K', got lucky to find it! The sound (and then immediate visual) of the main ejecting saved the day, otherwise it would be a loonnnggg day of searching.

Twice is an exaggeration - the K1440 burns for 1.7 seconds and produces 370lbs thrust off the pad, while the K1100 burns for 1.6 seconds with 350lbs off the pad. The big difference is in the fact that the 1440 holds well over 300lbs thrust for quite some time, while the 1100 drops off to ~275 after the initial spike. The burntime difference is negligible though.

It was a bit of an exageration but perhaps the time that the K1440 is at full thrust is near double that of the K1100T?

Point is the kick wasnt much more but it took much longer to "turn off"...

Anyways, great motor...

Still like the K1100's blue flame better though!

The White Thunders are great motors...

Here's a little pic I just had to share... this is two K1440's along with four I540's... in a garden shed.

Hey... I was just doing what I was being paid for :)

Ben

Originally posted by ddmobley
Maybe they are too busy with the new Blue Lightning forumlas?
Black Jills or Red Curves to maybe. :p

Originally posted by benjarvis

Here's a little pic I just had to share... this is two K1440's along with four I540's... in a garden shed.

Ben
WOW!, you got a video of that?

Ben

I want your job.

Ben

Lol, what exactly is your job?

:)

I do have video but it's embargoed until the show airs.

Unfortunately it ain't a full time job (no one's that lucky)... but check my sig.

All the best

Ben

Back