Paintball Payloader

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CQBArms

Reaction score
In trying to figure out a way to get a nice burst of color in the air (yeah chalk is fun but...) I built a paint-ball payloder. Well it's just a beat up Blu-97b with a screen diffuser inserted in the body tube. Basically there's the motor, a nomex wadding, a centering ring with holes drilled in it (ID of the body tube) this acts like a baffle and also keeps the paint balls from dropping down too far. This creates the bottom of the "payload area" which is capped with a hard metal screen. The screen is fastened to the rocket from the outside with two screws. There is just enough room to fit the chute and the nose cone.

This thing is a hoot. you put in 4 paint balls, close it up...and launch it. The thing doesn't go very high as it's a C6 engine but when the ejection charge goes off... man you can really see it. It's gotten a bit of paint on the body, chute and nose cone but it wipes off nicely. I got 4 launches out of it with 2-4 paint balls and will take a picture of it when I get it out of the tree it is in.

This would be even cooler with a D or E engine and a bunch of paint balls and maybe a slightly finer screen to really "mist" the paint.

I call it the Sky Painter.

Originally posted by CQBArms
This thing is a hoot. you put in 4 paint balls, close it up...and launch it. The thing doesn't go very high as it's a C6 engine but when the ejection charge goes off... man you can really see it. ...

I call it the Sky Painter.

Sounds to me like you need a CQB_Plans section on one of your websites and offer downloads at a nominal small fee :D

What size of screen ?

edit:

I got several bottles of 6mm paint balls, think they would work ?

6mm paintballs, because of their nature are harder to break. Plus if you add up enough 6mm paintballs to equal the same amount of paint as 2 to 4 regulation size there would be too much coating IMO.

I don't exactly know what the screen is I just had it laying around. It's like 1cm square grid that's fairly stiff.

I think the 6mm would be a bad idea, there's not enough paint for the body weight. You would need maybe hundreds of them and they are more a light marker v. a splatter type paint.

Originally posted by Art Upton
Sounds to me like you need a CQB_Plans section on one of your websites and offer downloads at a nominal small fee :D

What size of screen ?

edit:

I got several bottles of 6mm paint balls, think they would work ?

Back