Excel print issue...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stones

Reaction score
Here's one for all you math guys.
I'm making gores in Excel from Nakaa's patterns. I scale them to the size I need and have all the print borders at 0. All of these patterns print to multiple sheets.
If printing portrait, the width of the gore is anywhere from 0.5" to 1.0" to big. If printing landscape, the length is oversized. I've been adjusting the dimensions in Excel to end up with the correct sizes. I know I have the sheets taped together correctly, as there's wording on the pattern to line up with.
Not a major issue but, fairly time consuming to have to print, adjust, print, adjust, etc.
My default printer settings are correct and , as stated, the print settings in Excel are at 0 border.
Any clues out there?

Take it to Kinko's (etc.) and have them print it on 11x17". It would probably cost a buck or so.

Any sort of sizing going on? Fit to page etc?

Originally posted by Stones
Here's one for all you math guys.
I'm making gores in Excel from Nakaa's patterns. I scale them to the size I need and have all the print borders at 0. All of these patterns print to multiple sheets.
If printing portrait, the width of the gore is anywhere from 0.5" to 1.0" to big. If printing landscape, the length is oversized. I've been adjusting the dimensions in Excel to end up with the correct sizes. I know I have the sheets taped together correctly, as there's wording on the pattern to line up with.
Not a major issue but, fairly time consuming to have to print, adjust, print, adjust, etc.
My default printer settings are correct and , as stated, the print settings in Excel are at 0 border.
Any clues out there?

I often have problems with printing something that looks 'right' when on the screen but gets stretched one way or the other when pulled out of the printer. EXCEL is not real good for printing scale or 'true view' stuff.

If you are working with EXCEL, why not just take some points off the curves and plot the values yourself on a big sheet of paper? Yeah, I know, that's doing things BY HAND (horrors) and is so 20th century, but it's faster than a trip to kinkos and probably less time than you have spent so far screwing with your printer. No, you don't have to construct a plot that is accurate to the nearest thousandth of an inch unless you plan to cut fabric and sew to such standards.

Originally posted by CQBArms
Any sort of sizing going on? Fit to page etc?
What I do is take the intial pattern, say a gore for a 100cm chute and then plot the points for a larger/smaller chute by resizing the original pattern.

Originally posted by powderburner
I often have problems with printing something that looks 'right' when on the screen but gets stretched one way or the other when pulled out of the printer. EXCEL is not real good for printing scale or 'true view' stuff.
It appears to be in the dimensions themselves as they are plugged into Excel. I'm going to 2 (.00) decimals for accuracy. Usually, I only have to print once, readjust and it's all good. I think it has to do with the multiple sheets but, seems strange it only does it it one direction. Anyways, thanks for the input. I'm doing gores for 20 cm to 150 cm chutes/12 gore each. Maybe I'll "trip" over some sort of a fix as I go. ;)

Keep in mind that many of the chute gore patterns that you see are simple ellipse shapes (or portions of). It's not too hard to tweak the width/length and calc your own. Just remember to leave an extra 1/2 inch (or whatever you work to) for hems around the edges of the theoretical gore shape.

Back