Any New Years Resolutions?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try to make it to more club launches and quit smoking.

Dan

I saw those pictures...pretty tuff stuff.

Originally posted by rocket_princess
not to crash my Q-modeling Stilletto............ AGAIN!

Not necessarily in this order:
  1. Start losing excess pounds put on by medication over past 1½ years.
  2. Finish all partly-built kits.
  3. Get my Level 2.
  4. Set up classes for Scout troops and such.
    [/list=1] Yeah, I've always wanted to try my hand at writing Science Fiction :p . The above list definitely qualifies.

hhhmmmmm,

- Spend more time with family :)
- Spend less time in the office... :p
- Get more yard work done... LOL
- Try to spend less time on TRF and more time designing new rockets... (good luck! LOL)
- Finish all the unbuilt rockets I have (yeah, that'll happen soon... LOL)

They oughta rename this April Fools Day... LOL oh man...

I'm'a trying, but geeze....

1. Finish my "Einstein Centenary Project" rocket - the centenary was 2005!
2. Rebuild the flying pig.
3. Make the first UKAYROC a success.

To try to find a fairly good size field in the Panama City area to fly! Love the SEARS launches that PC folks go to but it's a 2 hour drive!

1. Attempt to quit smoking again:rolleyes:
2. Fly more rockets.
3. Certify L2.
4. Try dual deployment with altimeters.

To certify Level 1
To learn more patience (in all aspects of life)
To strive for strength and perseverence (in all aspects of life)
To learn to appreciate things more/take less for granted
many of my resolutions have come as a result of family and personal difficulties, and I hope that by implementing these new resolutions I can make 2007 better than 2006, even if it's only because I have a new/better attitude and spirit. :)

Pretty much 2 things:

1) Get my L2 rocket built, and ready to cert in early '08 (which will be interesting, and have a LOT of electronics onboard).
2) Help some younger fliers in the club get Jr L1, get interested in HPR :D

1.) Get my L2 Certification.
2.) Get my Cal Pyro 3.
3.) Get a better grade in Algebra II Class, Honors Chemistry, and French II
4.) Finish my CC Express I started 1 and 1/2 years ago.
5.) Make it to LDRS.
EDIT: 6.) Not cus as much.
EDIT: 7.) Have my L3 Rocket built by XPRS VI 07.

Well, I plan on trying to make running a habit. I was talking to my mom last night mentioning how in my AP bio class I found my cardiovascular health to be poor and she mentioned that my grandfather had had his first heart attack in his 30s. Well, I plan on not finding out what that's like, so I plan on running every day now. As I get more fit, I'll run longer. That's the big plan.
Reed

Originally posted by Reed Goodwin
Well, I plan on trying to make running a habit. I was talking to my mom last night mentioning how in my AP bio class I found my cardiovascular health to be poor and she mentioned that my grandfather had had his first heart attack in his 30s. Well, I plan on not finding out what that's like, so I plan on running every day now. As I get more fit, I'll run longer. That's the big plan.

Fitness is good, but running can be hard on the knees (trust me, I know). But, if it's your preferred form of exercise, go for it!

Biking and swimming are great for those of us whose knees don't appreciate impact....

-Kevin

Well I'm young and biking and swimming aren't the easiest to come by when I'm moving around a bunch between college and home. If I could bike or swim, I would. I like biking. A lot.
Reed

1. Build my Teros 4x upscale - starting in January.
  2. L1 (hopefully with my Teros)
  3. Lose a bunch of weight
    [/list=1]

Well here goes....

1. Lose weight
2. More exercise
3. LEUP -- hopefully
4. Get better weather so we can actually have a couple of launches in a row!!

Quit Smoking AGAIN
Build More Rockets
Make More Club Launches
Build the Team Project - and successfully fly it

Better grades in school all around
Get the "rocket room" downstairs finished
Possibly get into staging or airstarts
Building and flying my PR Competitor 4, PR Gizmo, 4" Arcas, and anything else that comes my way
Try new stuff (motors, chutes, etc.)

Seems like quitting smoking came up a lot. For those considering such, there is a new product available which may be of considerable assistance. Unfortunately, it's by prescription only so a visit to your doc is a necessary first step. Medication is called Chantix, made by pharm. giant Pfizer. Accomplishes two things: kills cravings pretty much dead, and moreover, unlike traditional nicotine replacement strategies like patches, prevents any "reward" from smoking on top of it.

Its in pill form with twice a day dosing. First week you take the dose at 1/4 strength first 3 days, then 1/2 strength for the next 4. Week 2 you quit. Chief side effect is temporary nausea.

Chief drawback is cost: doctor's visit plus 2 months worth (at costco about 100/month--do not count on your penny wise/ pound foolish HMO to help here). But compared to nicotine replacement strategies, or worse, continued puffing/chewing, cheap at twice the price.

As with any product of this type, it is not a miracle cure. But its as close to a silver bullet as I've seen--just need to combine with advice freely available from the American Heart and Amer. Lung Associations. Truly an amazing product, and no I have no connection, financial or otherwise with either Pfizer or Costco.

JS

I quit smoking 3 weeks ago...So Number one is stay the course!

2. Lose weight....I have lost 22 pounds of the 50 I need to lose. Stay the course!

3. Fly some rockets with Astrowolf...We live so close their is no excuse!:D

4. Attend a club launch.

5. Get more BoRocks kits into production.

Originally posted by Bohica
I quit smoking 3 weeks ago...So Number one is stay the course!

2. Lose weight....I have lost 22 pounds of the 50 I need to lose. Stay the course!

3. Fly some rockets with Astrowolf...We live so close their is no excuse!:D

4. Attend a club launch.

5. Get more BoRocks kits into production.

Re not smoking-I agree staying the course is the critical piece--one thing I forgot to mention with this new drug is you take it for two months, at which time, one has considerable practice in not smoking! Most people who relapse do so within the first couple of months, usually under conditions of stress or merriment;) thinking they can go back to abstinence the next day.
JS

On the smoking...

I quit smoking december 29th, 1999....

I had smoked for 27 years, 1 pack a day at work to 2-3 packs a day on a weekend.

I had quit cold turkey a few times for 2-3 months and once for a year but had gone back.

In 1999 I used Zyban. I had a webmaster that worked for me use it to quit and so I tried it.

I took it for a month, then set a date to quit. I tossed all the smokin' stuff out on the quit date and that was that.

I chose a quit date that allowed me some time before I had to go back to work :eek:

I took it for 3 months afterwords. I ran out and thought the hard times of cravings would come. They didn't and still have not to this time.

I can be around smokers all the time and I don't want it, in fact I don't like it any more.

Just passin' on to help others that might look into it.

Ask your dockter if Zyban is right for you....
...If your on an MAO inhibitor....
..err.... sounds like TV

:)

My wife and I quit on Valentines day 2000, so we are coming up for seven years as non-smokers. I had been smoking a pack a day for nearly 23 years.

We used the 24 hour transdermal patches. They can give you weird dreams though.

:eek:

Combine not smoking with exercise; it will help reduce the weight gain. Stay busy. Try not to get stressed.

Good things about being a non-smoker:

Money - You don't realise how much that habit costs you
Smell - Everything smells better!
Food - Tastes a whole lot better, especially delicate tastes like freshwater fish
Your car - Smells better. A friend in the trade tells me a smoker's car can be worth 5-10% less than a non-smokers

Bad things:

After seven years I still sometimes want a cigarette... :mad:
Weight gain - well, I blame not smoking!

Do kick the habit though. The best thing you can do for your kids is be a non-smoker.

Originally posted by Art Upton
On the smoking...

I quit smoking december 29th, 1999....

I had smoked for 27 years, 1 pack a day at work to 2-3 packs a day on a weekend.

I had quit cold turkey a few times for 2-3 months and once for a year but had gone back.

In 1999 I used Zyban. I had a webmaster that worked for me use it to quit and so I tried it.

I took it for a month, then set a date to quit. I tossed all the smokin' stuff out on the quit date and that was that.

I chose a quit date that allowed me some time before I had to go back to work :eek:

I took it for 3 months afterwords. I ran out and thought the hard times of cravings would come. They didn't and still have not to this time.

I can be around smokers all the time and I don't want it, in fact I don't like it any more.

Just passin' on to help others that might look into it.

Ask your dockter if Zyban is right for you....
...If your on an MAO inhibitor....
..err.... sounds like TV

:)

Art,

Zyban is OK and seems to work for a small subset of smokers, but this new Chantix stuff is absolutely amazing by comparison. Also, patch plus gum is very good (25% success vs 5% w/o nicotine replacement).

Your advice re picking a date and discarding the paraphernalia is right on the money!
JS

Lose weight. 49 years old, 262 lbs and 5' 11" just doesn't cut it.

And in connection with that, actually use the YMCA membership that we've had for the past year and more.

My knees are in bad shape and I *really* need to strengthen my thigh muscles to help stabilize them. Etc.

Fly more and crash less...

Try to keep my naturally free-flowing sarcasm in check ...

Lose weight (fat chance)....

Clean the garage (yeah - rrrriiiggghhttttt)....

Not to shoot the next one who runs over my mailbox...
(lost six this past year, two in a single day. Latest one has a post made of 6"x 6" pressure treated lumber, buried 5 feet deep.)

Originally posted by roadkill
Not to shoot the next one who runs over my mailbox...
(lost six this past year, two in a single day. Latest one has a post made of 6"x 6" pressure treated lumber, buried 5 feet deep.)
Sue, if that one doesn't work, try getting an equivalent piece of scrap railroad rail. :p

Originally posted by TWRackers
Sue, if that one doesn't work, try getting an equivalent piece of scrap railroad rail. :p

Or set up those police spike strips around it....

My resolutions for this year:

1. Loose the 30 pounds that I lost last year and keep them off this time!
2. Get www.punk-rockets.com beyond a holding page...
3. Get my L3 ready for Plaster Blaster this year!
4. Start taking photographs again!

my new year resolution (hopefully)

1. Finsh building Sat V 1/38 scale (polecat Kit)
2. cert Level 3 by march
3. Finish 2x scale Mars lander
4. try to loose 10 more lbs already lost 62.

Back