Interceptor, non scale paintjob?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jraice

Reaction score
Really getting serious with the 4" upscale interceptor, but I cant find anybody that can make the decals. I also found a similar upscale and it had an orange paintjob, probably because they also could not get scale decals.

I was wondering, any ideas for the paintjob? I really would like the plain white with red side pods like the original kit, but dont know where to get an assortment of stickers that will suit the design.

I have some small Nasa stickers, would be just the right size to go ontop of the "wings". What do you guys think about a Nasa themed design?

Whats the best paper, I probably could make most of the decals myself, if I knew what to use... I have a high quality ink jet printer though, thats probably the big limiting factor.

Thanks

Try Tango Papa for your decals. Vinyl would be good. Or try Fred over at Excelsior, he can upscale them for you, and he does EXCELLENT work. In fact, I'd try Fred first.

Another good source for decals, especially 'Upscales', is Fred (Phred), ID of Astronboy here on TRF. I saw him working up at Nemroc '06, and was very impressed with his products. Got a few of his "Goonys". He has himself a great collection of rockets on display as well.

Good Luck with the Build. Be Sure to Post Pictures when finished!

be making a build thread, I checked out tango but do they do custom jobs this big? Fred said my project was just to big for him to do...

Tango Papa not only does them that big, but he can do vinyl for you instead! He did the vinyl for the 6.44x upscale Starfirghter Combo that I was involved with last year. It was the perfect touch for the project!

well I am literally about to leave for the next 4 or 5 days but when I get back I will give them a description of what I need. Would he have the plans for the interceptor? If not how could I get them to him?

What is the difference with vinyl and what is the alternative?

Is getting a project like that "tricked out" pricey?

Thanks

I would imagine that he probably does have the Interceptor decal plan. If not you can download them from JimZ's.

The other alternative would be giant water slides, and I imagine that working that large would be difficult.

Vinyl is a little on the pricey side, but it looks sooooo good! I'm not sure what the exact cost was, as my cohort in crime paid for the decals and I bought the paint... I'm sure that Tom at Tango Papa would be happy to give you a quote.

Hi Jordan,

After seeing your post, I took a good look at my K50 clone. The large lettering is a very basic block, which you may be able to find in vinyl stickers, something like mailbox stickers. A fair amount of the detail could be done with pinstriping. Just a thought...

pin striping? I am not much of a painter so please give me a bit more info... yes I could use some lettering for the big stuff.

I think I will get a quote from them and see what it is, if it is just out of my budget I will either try to clone the paint job or use the letters and pin stripping to make a custom paint job. I am thinking a NASA theme would be pretty cool and still similar to the original design...

Thanks Paul!

I just got home to find a few orders here, one from GLR. It had almost all the remaining parts for this upscale (all that remains is the end core balsa for the fin core).

I dry fitted the 4" to 54mm tailcone retainer on the 54mm motor tube and retained my Loki 54mm hardware in. I am not that big of a fan of the slimeline retainers (takes a bit longer to remove then aeropack) but it looks great with the loki case, very high tech business end! Should suit the rocket nicely...

Most of this birds flights will be on my AT 54/1760 hardware though, I have to dig that case out and see how it looks in the retainer...

Also got some basic recovery parts, a few centering rings and the 4" coupler tubing for the airframe mandrel...

Cant wait!

Thing is I also got an order with some sugar motors supplies so that to needs to be worked on... but I have a good amount of time before the May EX launch were these motors and this rocket will both have their debut.

thanks

Tango Papa and cut vinyl is definitely the way to go on this project. You will be pleasantly suprised with what you get.

It'll probably cost you though. A LOT. But it will definitely be worth it once you get the finished product put together.

Just got my quote from them, its way up there but I think I will be happy with the product, I sent an e-mail asking about the material but do you guys know what he uses? Is it always vinyl?

He said something about using a different type of decal, not water slide...

Yeah this is a sweet bird and deserves it so I think I am going to save up and just go for it...

My original plans were an EX sugar J motor for the maiden flight, this is such an awesome bird that a maiden flight on a homebrew motor is going to be SCARY!

Latest posts

Back