Something Completely Different

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlienorth

Reaction score
This old photo from Model Rocketry Design and Construction shows some unique designs.

What have you seen or built that qualifies (ala Monty Python)
as somthing different?

Originally posted by charlienorth
This old photo from Model Rocketry Design and Construction shows some unique designs.

as somthing different?

That looks like the Muppet Show's "Swinetrek" rocket. Thread about it here. I took some photos of a scenery version of it at Disneyland a couple years ago - it was about 4 or 5 feet in diameter. Don't know if I still have those shots or not.

WW

Originally posted by charlienorth

as somthing different?

Oh, geez.... Was this a thread for Micro to unload on or what? He's got more pics of weird rockets than ANYONE!

Todd:
Odd-Rocs is one of those off the wall type of creative Model Rocketry the fasinate me. it's Like "UN-SCALE" with a Twist:)
I'm not sure which fassit of Model Rocketry gives me more enjoyment, Odd-Rocs, Scale, or PMC...size isn't a concern either, Micro, Standard or Large model Rocket. single motor or cluster. You can Odd-Roc in any size or type you want...with just about anything you want:D

how about a flying Brick?

117c4-sm_the brick 3 pic flight_02-92.jpg

Very nice, that display ought to bring the house down.

Personally, I prefer to send the house up. :D
(Photo courtesy of spacecadet)

Originally posted by Micromeister
Todd:
Odd-Rocs is one of those off the wall type of creative Model Rocketry the fasinate me. it's Like "UN-SCALE" with a Twist:)
I'm not sure which fassit of Model Rocketry gives me more enjoyment, Odd-Rocs, Scale, or PMC...size isn't a concern either, Micro, Standard or Large model Rocket. single motor or cluster. You can Odd-Roc in any size or type you want...with just about anything you want:D

how about a flying Brick?

Hey Micro-

Love the pics.... Just re-read my post from yesterday and thought it sounded kinda negative. Not at all what I meant. Anytime I feel the need to find a pic of a rocket that's a little more than run of the mill, it's you who usually pops up with it!

Love the odd-rocs! Not what I fly myself most of the time, but cool!

Originally posted by PunkRocketScience
Hey Micro-

Love the pics.... Just re-read my post from yesterday and thought it sounded kinda negative. Not at all what I meant. Anytime I feel the need to find a pic of a rocket that's a little more than run of the mill, it's you who usually pops up with it!

Didn't take it that way at all Todd:)
Odd-Rocs I've been told by many...sorta fit my warped slightly strange personality:) ya know just a little OFF LOL!
Very happy you guy's like the pics.

I fully intended to fly this creation "Dee-Chirstmas Ball/Candycanes" at Last weekends December sport launch but totally forgot to take it along as I was deep in OOP testing all day:( Deeeerats! guess it'll have to wait for next year.

One of my favorites. Here is a before and after picture of the BBQ sauce rocket with Ronald McDonald as the NC. It flew great several times and then had a slight malfunction.

That Buckeye Dawn is really cool. Where can I find more info and pix?

Geof

Many of the odd-rocs in this thread have an "animal" theme. A few years ago, the theme of one of the Spaceport Rocketry Association's launches was "animals." For the launch, my wife and I began building our first "Akavish" spider rocket. We didn't finish it in time for the SRA launch, but it flew (not very well!) at a later NEFAR launch. We're now on our third Akavish (see my Avatar) which does fly well. :)

-- Roger

Originally posted by jadebox
Many of the odd-rocs in this thread have an "animal" theme. A few years ago, the theme of one of the Spaceport Rocketry Association's launches was "animals." For the launch, my wife and I began building our first "Akavish" spider rocket. We didn't finish it in time for the SRA launch, but it flew (not very well!) at a later NEFAR launch. We're now on our third Akavish (see my Avatar) which does fly well. :)

-- Roger
That's a good one Roger:) Akavish LOL
the Sputnik Odd-roc base has been adapted to several of my Odd-rocs as well. the christmasball/candycane, and both full size and micro Spookniks (flying Ghosts)

Originally posted by Micromeister
...the Sputnik Odd-roc base has been adapted to several of my Odd-rocs as well ...

The Akavish was inspired, of course, by the Sputnik-style rockets. The second Akavish was a simple "motor tube and dowels stuck in a foam ball" like the "Sputniks" I had seen. It worked, but didn't hold up well. We only got a couple of flights out of it before the legs literally fell out. :)

The latest Akavish is built more like a traditional rocket with a body tube and motor mount. The "legs" are mounted "through-the-wall" to the motor tube. Rather than being structual, the foam ball is just an adornment. It's flown more than a dozen times and survived a lot of less-than-ideal flights.

-- Roger

Just remembered one more animal Odd-Roc
My daughters Holly Mackerel...a floatation duration entry:)
It was supposed to be a LM Bass but we had to punch out so many 1" holes in the foam body to get it under a pound then recover it with tissue and mod-podge (you can see the depressed disks all over the model and 1/4" hole punch in the clear lexan fins, She renamed it the Holly Mackerel. Still had to fly on a D21 because it was sit up with and 18mm motor mount. Hope they bring be the D21 so it can fly again:)

978a-sm_holly mackerel d21 odd-roc_03-14-92.jpg

The coolest thing about Micromeister ( met him a couple years ago at NARAM) is thet he has the space to build all this stuff at a relatively conservatively sized house, Now THAT is a cool wife!!!!

Al

Originally posted by PunkRocketScience
Hey Micro-

Originally posted by Rocket Al
The coolest thing about Micromeister ( met him a couple years ago at NARAM) is thet he has the space to build all this stuff at a relatively conservatively sized house, Now THAT is a cool wife!!!!

Al

Amen to that Al! I do indeed That's way I alway refer to her as my better 2/3rds...cause She's WAY better then half:)
My townhouse is kinda dinky by todays standards...800 total square feet on 3 levels but it's plenty for us now.

but back to the subject...Odd-Rocs. we've looked at a few. but have really looked at what I just are the really Odd one's... I'm sorta supprized TRF's dick Stafford hasn't added any of he's kewl ones. I'll offer one that Isn't mine as well, but another buddy from our club. Richard Hickok...who has rendered Futurama's lovable robot "Bender" in a couple sizes now. this pic is of his D12 version... it's alway a real attention getter at launchers:)

Back