Aerotech single use I-65

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tquigg

Reaction score
Time to fire up the Wayback Machine....

Do any of you remember the old Aerotech single-use 54mm I-65 rocket motor? I was given one some time ago for my rocket motor collection (spent, unfortunately) but nonetheless most interesting. Really heavy, thick wall aluminum, with massive ejection well and a medusa nozzle.

Didn't Ron Schultz of LOC Precision make the EZI65 specifically for this rocket motor for L1 certifications?

Does anyone remember how much these beasties cost "back in the day"?

When I worked for AeroTech, the I65 had a phenolic casing and cost $70/each, as I recall.

Well then, this may NOT be an I65 as I was told by the person who gave this to me. Perhaps I should take a picture of it and post it for more positive identification?

It's natural aluminum color, not anodized. It is heavy, about six or seven inches long, 54mm in diameter with a medusa nozzle. No markings or stickers on the outside of it. It's about the size of the smaller 54mm reloadable casing.

Last edited:
Well then, this may NOT be an I65 as I was told by the person who gave this to me. Perhaps I should take a picture of it and post it for more positive identification?

It's natural aluminum color, not anodized. It is heavy, about six or seven inches long, 54mm in diameter with a medusa nozzle. No markings or stickers on the outside of it. It's about the size of the smaller 54mm reloadable casing.

There was a period of time after I left AeroTech when single-use HP motors were made with an aluminum case as the phenolic material was of a poor quality.

I suspect the motor you have IS an I65. :)

Thanks Bob. I'll take a picture of the motor in question and post it here for a more positive identification:blush:

The I 65's did have an aluminum casing. They were later tested as a small J making the lv 2 motors. I never got a chance to fly one, but did see a few fly, one was a drag race involving 2 Caliber ISP rockets.

I don't get why people would want to collect fully loaded motors? I don't hear anyone collecting reload for the sake of collecting.

JD

I don't get why people would want to collect fully loaded motors? I don't hear anyone collecting reload for the sake of collecting.

JD

I 'collect' motors, single-use and reloadable. :eek:

I have a good sized collection of SynerJet D-G reload kits and casings. I have casings and reloads from several other motor makers which have since faded away. ;) :rolleyes:

This is what my 2 look like from 1987

DSC00936.jpg

Here's the last one that I flew, in my Laser/LOC 2.1, back in 2003. (Sorry the audio's out of sync...)

[VIMEO]10341149[/VIMEO]

I think it was $77ish.

I told gary he needs to bring back the I65 with a delay and motor eject. :p I want one for my EZI-65 :p. Here is a static test fire video of an I65-PW back in 2001.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/6s7cX9lpo5g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/6s7cX9lpo5g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I 'collect' motors, single-use and reloadable. :eek:

I have a good sized collection of SynerJet D-G reload kits and casings. I have casings and reloads from several other motor makers which have since faded away. ;) :rolleyes:

I've just started collecting used and unused old motors several years ago. It's interesting to see how far the hobby has progressed.

Along with the aluminum cased I-65, I have an old 52mm Vulcan L750, an AVI motor (unused) as well as a 38mm H220 Silver Streak (unused) and four 29mm Silver Streak's (can't remember the designation off the top of my head) Also got a bunch of old 13mm really long, blue cased CEnturi motors with glassine envelopes that contain what appears to be Thermalite igniters.

Got an old Estes F100 (unused) as well as some other old Estes and Quest motors.

Lots of other stuff as well....

Thanks for sharing everyone!

I've just started collecting used and unused old motors several years ago. It's interesting to see how far the hobby has progressed.

Also got a bunch of old 13mm really long, blue cased CEnturi motors with glassine envelopes that contain what appears to be Thermalite igniters.
If they appear smooth with no wire or paper wrappings, about an inch long, those are old SureShot igniter sticks. Probably similar composition to Thermalite.

Got an old Estes F100 (unused) as well ...
You mean FSI??

Roy

These are apparently the Sure Shot igniters you mentioned.

Sorry about the incorrect designation on the F100. As I stated earlier, I'm just starting out collecting these, and have a lot to learn!

Yes, I have a FSI F100-6, as well as a FSI F7-4. The 29mm Silver Streaks I have are F50's.

The AVI motor, not sure of. The ink has faded on it, but I think it says it's a D5.1 or a D6.1?

The 13mm blue cased Centuri motors I have still in the original boxes are
A4-2M's. I also have a bunch of 13mm AVI B3-5M's, some MPC B3-7M's, and an old Centuri B4-6 with a date stamp of 8-16-74.

I've only been collecting for about a year or so now, so my collection is still pretty small, but I find it fascinating collecting fired and unfired motors.

Last edited:
I have a small collection myself of some of the old Estes motors. A3-6, A10-0, 1/4A3-4, B14-7, burned 24mm G55, burned I132.

More but I can't remember them as of now..

I still have an AT SU J100. Date code is 1987 (or 88?). Phenolic case.

Last time I flew an I65 was in a LOC EZI65 in 1990. Never saw the rocket again! That was when I lived where there were trees...

-john

Hey Fox Racing Guy,
Do you mind posting a picture of the nozzle end of your I65 motors? Those are EARLY AT motors, before white lightning propellant. Tracking those motors were hard, to put it mildly!
I have one of the aluminum cased ones that has a 10 second delay. I also have a J125P but in phenolic.
Thanks, Daniel

Latest posts

Back