Launch Lug /Motor retaining hook relative locations

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
After a very interesting discussing recently with another Old time Modeler, I'd like to see where you folks attach your Launch lugs relative to your motor mount retention hook(s).

The models body diameter shouldn't make a difference except with minimum diameter models were it Might be necessary to slightly offset the Lug location to into a fin/body joint or use a standoff.

For the Purposes of this poll we'll assume your models use both, lugs and motor hooks.
Option 1 will be Aligning the Launch Lug or lugs with the motor hook.
Option 2 will be aligning the Launch Lug on the opposite side of the model for the motor hook.
Option 3: offsetting the Launch lug, on the motor side of the model.

It's kind of random - wherever it happens to be. The LL is always either centered between two fins or in the fin fillet, and the motor hook is wherever. I'm not too picky.

I don't think it makes any difference so I just put it centered between any 2 fins...contingent on the paint job.

The absolute most efficient place to put it is nestled nice and snug against a fin but that usually looks like crap. :D

I generally put the launch lugs equidistant between two fins.
Then I put the motor hook offset by 45 degrees or so.

I think I saw that in a magazine.

I try to put the lug inline with the motor hook when I can. That way, I have plenty of room to work with the igniter and wires while the rocket is on the pad.

Oh yeah - add to that what Bohica said; I try to line all that stuff up so that the lug is inbetween two fins. But if I have a brain fart and forget to put the lug on and the rocket's been painted (yeah, it's happened), I'll take a needle file and file away the paint at a fin root and add the lug there.

If the launch lug placement is near the bottom of the rocket, I willl either offset the motor hook slightly or move the launch lug up, where it is out of "crunch" range with my thumb, when trying to remove the motor. Otherwise, if the LL is up far enough, I try to align the two, to reduce the ugly factor to one side... ;) Regardless, my LL's are always centered between two fins.

So far it seems the launch lug placement is more an aesthetics issue then convenience or anti-interference concern.

Let me give a little background for the question without going to far into my reasoning.
From what I gather from the conversation the other day, My friend believes the Lug or Lugs should be placed on the opposite side of the model to prevent the motor hook from making contacting the launch rod should the motor Not be completely set in the (newer) type motor hooks. Thus causing the the motor hook to hang the model up on the launch rod or cause enough friction to alter the flight.
Personally I can't recall never seeing or even hearing of such an event. Have any of you folks had experience with such an Odd mishap? Please bare in mind this statement is coming for a guy whose been in the Mod-roc flying business longer then I have, flys internationally and is one of the NAR 4 digit guys...(his Nar number only has 4 digits).
While I greatly respect this fellows opinions, I believe there are some other practical reasons missing from this stance.

I'm trying not to bias this poll as i'm looking for the reasons we put our launch lugs and motor mount hooks in the particular positions we do.
I'll offer my own opintion after I get a good bit more input from you guys.

For me, it really doesn't matter, but most of my rockets seem to have the launch lug aligned or closely aligned with the hook.

Mine are usually random, but lately, I try to keep it out of line with the launch lug. A guy gave me a few old engines which he assured me had not cycled temperature. I put a B6-4 in a BT-50 model with an Estes hook. It got tighter and tighter as it went in. I thought it would make it the whole way, but darned if it didn't get stuck fast with about a quarter inch left to go. I could not move it either way to save my life, and I didn't bring any pliers with me. I figured it wouldn't come out and I'd just launch it, but the engine made that stupid hook stick out far enough to be digging into the launch rod pretty good, since it was lined up directly with the lug. No launch for that bird until after I got home to the pliers.

Originally posted by Micromeister
Personally I can't recall never seeing or even hearing of such an event. Have any of you folks had experience with such an Odd mishap?
At NARAM-46, my son & I had a motor hook stick to the blast plate[1]. I forget which
rocket it was or I'd go look at the lug position (not that I think that contributed at all).

I usually place my lugs opposite the hook (when I use a hook). Unless the glue
catches before I've spun the MMT fully into postion. I've been doing it this way
since I was a kid, because someone once told me it balances out the weight axially. :)
As I got older (Jr.HS maybe), I came know the aero drag of the lug has more effect
than either the lug or hook weight. But aligning the lug/hook is still a building habit
I continue to do...

[1] EDIT: After thinking about it a bit more, I think it was the clothes pin stand-off the
hook got caught on...

In thinking about a little off set from the lug seems best to me.

The lug positions the rocket on the pad, 180's or so from the lug you are going to be "messing" with wires and the igniter. (at least that is the way it is most of the time for me).

So 90 degrees to both seems like a good place to get the hook out of the way.

It is about of the way of the lug (not "in-line" with the rod) and is far enough away from the leads for the igniter.

Same side and lined up, most of the time. Things get "out of the way" preparing for launch.

Back