Ldrs 26...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porthos II

Reaction score
ROC to host LDRS 26 in Jean, NV, July 12-17, 2007

LDRS is the annual "big event" for the Tripoli Rocketry Association, the hobby of high-power rocketry's premier national organization. Once a year, LDRS gives rocketry hobbyists from all around the world the opportunity to gather together and fly lots of rockets -- and the bigger and more extreme the projects, the better.

LDRS is a somewhat tongue-in-cheek acronym; it stands for "Large and Dangerous Rocket Ships", and the name aptly captures the extreme nature of the event: at LDRS, you'll see flights of some of the biggest, fastest, and just plain coolest rockets around. However, despite the name, there's no reason to panic. All launch activities are conducted with the safety of participants and spectators as the number one consideration, in accordance with an extensive safety code.

There are few organizations that can effectively play host to an event of this size. However, 2007 will mark the second time that the Rocketry Organization of California (ROC, website at <https://www.rocstock.org>) has hosted LDRS: the first time was in 2001, when ROC held LDRS 20 in Lucerne, CA.

ROC is the one of the largest rocketry clubs in the world, with years of experience holding world-class rocketry events. Twice a year for the last 12 years, ROC has held "ROCstock", a three-day rocket launch event that attracts thousands of fliers and spectators.

ROC is bringing its extensive experience to Jean Dry Lakebed, and this promises to be the best LDRS ever! You won't want to miss it, so start making your plans to attend.

Please check the LDRS 26 web site, <https://www.ldrs26.org>, for more information, including how to make discounted reservations at the LDRS
26 host hotels. Flyer registration for LDRS 26 will be opening soon; check back at the web site for details over the next few weeks, or sign up on the web site for an emailed announcement as soon as details become available.

I'll be there, and I'm really looking forward to it :D

About the only place I can fly my Deuce on skids without worrying about the whole site going up in flames :D

I don't know about RC planes, but I hope RC cars are allowed...

I dont see why there would be restrictions on RC Cars... If you dont drive them all through the flight line and around everyones stuff I dont think anyone would have a problem with it. A lot of people dont like airplanes because they are a little louder (sometimes) and they fly.

I dont know though.

If the noise is an issue, my car would be a problem, as it is quite loud (unmuffled 0.20ci nitro engine with a tuned pipe), but I would hope that wouldn't be a restriction...

Originally posted by cjl
If the noise is an issue, my car would be a problem, as it is quite loud (unmuffled 0.20ci nitro engine with a tuned pipe), but I would hope that wouldn't be a restriction...
On the other hand my airplanes would not be a noise problem, they are all electric ;)

In that case, just fly them off to the side and low, and nobody will notice ;)

Yup! :D I know it is far away, is there any info on contests yet? In particular altitude contests?

vegas isnt hosting, ROC (of so cal) is, so the rules are different. I'm actually going to be in charge of "security" I actuallt wrote up the rules, and in MY Personal opinion R/C cars and planes are O.K. as long as you keep them away from the launch area. and use you own good judgement.

ROC has a rule against remote controll for LAUNCH controll (with exceptions) so standard r/c signals shouldn't be a problem .

again this is my opnion, I'll bring it up to the BOD.

Originally posted by metalwizard
vegas isnt hosting, ROC (of so cal) is, so the rules are different. I'm actually going to be in charge of "security" I actuallt wrote up the rules, and in MY Personal opinion R/C cars and planes are O.K. as long as you keep them away from the launch area. and use you own good judgement.

ROC has a rule against remote controll for LAUNCH controll (with exceptions) so standard r/c signals shouldn't be a problem .

Alright thanks.

Well, looking at previous LDRS records, I'm guessing that a bowling ball contest is a definite.

Other than that, who knows...

Mr. Gates,

I as well as a few van loads of Colorado thugs plan on coming. You can count on us showing up just to give you a hard time while you try to get some work done.

Art

So Art, what do you have planned this time :D

I would recommend that someone looks into whether or not anyone will be flying any R/C RG. If so, you may want to reserve some frequencies or require everyone to log their friequency when running their cars/planes and such. The last thing you want is someone's R/C RG to come crashing out of the sky because someone turned on their R/C car...

Just a thought...

jim

Originally posted by jflis
I would recommend that someone looks into whether or not anyone will be flying any R/C RG. If so, you may want to reserve some frequencies or require everyone to log their friequency when running their cars/planes and such. The last thing you want is someone's R/C RG to come crashing out of the sky because someone turned on their R/C car...

Just a thought...

jim

RC Cars operate on different frequencys I think, but atleast a sheet with everyones frequencys for airplanes is really necessary for saftey aspects.

The frequencies are as follows:

27 MHz: 6 channels (numbered 1-6), shared between air and surface use (not the best choice of frequencies because of this large number of users and small number of channels).

72MHz: 50 channels (numbered 11-60) dedicated entirely to air use

75MHz: 30 channels (numbered 61-90) dedicated entirely to surface use. I run on channel 75 normally, so I could not interfere with any RC boost gliders. RC airplanes could, but I would assume that this would not be too much of a problem. Perhaps certain frequencies could be set aside exclusively for boost glider use, or something similar to the pegboards used at RC flying clubs.

Originally posted by Arthoag
Mr. Gates,

I as well as a few van loads of Colorado thugs plan on coming. You can count on us showing up just to give you a hard time while you try to get some work done.

Art

We will just have to see who gives who the most trouble!

Jean Dry Lake Bed, and LDRS 26, what a combo
Thanks to ROC and Tripoli Vegas

RC Aircraft and Cars are a stable at the lake bed, their there all the time, even during club launches, we've never had a problem with them at all, in fact they visit our camp and we theirs. We all enjoy the lake bed.

I don't know if that will change or not, if it does, someone better tell them

I now understand that a meeting will be held in a week or so to figure stuff out.

:(
Boy I sure hope someone don't kill the Night Launching, that happens at Jean DLB on most major and regular launches. I"ll be bring my complete Night Launch fleet ( 10 total, all High Powered and one than launches on an "L" motor ) viewable for 3 miles. Heck the last TurkeyShoot (retired) we launched "H" and "I" motor in a 30 mph wind and still recovered them in 10 min.s and they were up to 3/4 of a mile off the Lake bed.

I am planning on going. I'll probably just bring a few rockets, ones where I can use many motor combos. I'll probably stay in Las Vegas though. This may be the only way to convince the other half it's worth going.

Originally posted by WolfStar
Jean Dry Lake Bed, and LDRS 26, what a combo
Thanks to ROC and Tripoli Vegas

RC Aircraft and Cars are a stable at the lake bed, their there all the time, even during club launches, we've never had a problem with them at all, in fact they visit our camp and we theirs. We all enjoy the lake bed.

I don't know if that will change or not, if it does, someone better tell them

I now understand that a meeting will be held in a week or so to figure stuff out.

:(
Boy I sure hope someone don't kill the Night Launching, that happens at Jean DLB on most major and regular launches. I"ll be bring my complete Night Launch fleet ( 10 total, all High Powered and one than launches on an "L" motor ) viewable for 3 miles. Heck the last TurkeyShoot (retired) we launched "H" and "I" motor in a 30 mph wind and still recovered them in 10 min.s and they were up to 3/4 of a mile off the Lake bed.

I really want to see some of your night launch rockets! They look very very cool :D

O.K. pretty much official now. R/C planes, and cars etc are O.K. as long as you use some courtesy and common sense with them. likw keeping away from the flight line no kickin up dirt in the camping areas etc. just use your head.

as for R/C launch equiptment. we are going with the rules exactly as they are for ant ROC launch. you can read these at.

https://www.rocstock.org/flyers.html

thanx from LDRS26 board memebers

Originally posted by Lucas
I really want to see some of your night launch rockets! They look very very cool :D

Thanks, but if we are using those rule that are stated in the ROC launch. I won't be flying at night.
I don't use Strobes, there useless, they only flash once a second and at 300+ miles an hour you can only see 5 or 6 flashes to apogee, thats one of the reasons I designs Nitebows " something alway on the flashing and are truly viewable during all stages of the flight, 100% of the time

hey wait, they do Flash or Strobe and they are Faa approve LEDs
Hmmmmmmmmm, maybe I will

Muhahahahahaha

O.K. pretty much official now. R/C planes, and cars etc are O.K. as long as you use some courtesy and common sense with them. likw keeping away from the flight line no kickin up dirt in the camping areas etc. just use your head.

Great :D

Looks like when I'm not flying/prepping the Deuce (pretty much the only rocket I'll be bringing), I'll be buzzing around with my Revo 3.3 :D

as for R/C launch equiptment. we are going with the rules exactly as they are for ant ROC launch. you can read these at.

Alright awesome! Thats great news! :D

For saftety reasons, I plan to use R/C in a reverse chicken switch application, preventing ignition of an N1100 sustainer unless I have a near perfect vertical boost from the cluster of 3 M's. In other words, the rocket needs to receive a "go" R/C signal in order to stage. Is this an issue, and if so would a DSS transponder like the one missile works makes be ok? Its an O sized project, that burns for almost exactly 15 seconds total.

Thanks,
John S

would a DSS transponder like the one missile works makes be ok?

The ROC rules specify a Missile Works WRC as an acceptable system. It's a digital system. I've used it. The Outlander flown at Midwest Power 3 (Oct 2005) used two WRC systems.

Dean

Back