Shrox StarShuttle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianc

Reaction score
A long, long time ago, Shrox posted <a href="https://rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16892#post185742">a link to his plans</a> for
the StarShuttle. I was lucky enough to download a copy before the file went to 404 heaven...

This is a great looking and great flying rocket glider! It's not going to win any
serious competitions, but it sure is fun. Chan Stevens has a review of the original kit on EMRR - https://www.rocketreviews.com/cgi-bin/rvwbuild/rvwbuild.cgi?oop/shx_star_shuttle.html

This rocket has a tremendous amount of lumber! I noticed Chan commented on how
heavy this bird is, so I rolled cardstock conical noses instead of using balsa. I also deviated
slightly from the plans and separated the booster at the 'intake scoop' instead of the
NC. I did this to make attachment of the shock cord (tri-fold anchor) easier with the
cardstock.

I built and flew this bird nekkid a few times in 2005. Since next month's NAR Section launch is
a glider and copter theme, I figured it was time to get around to finishing it.

I used grey primer on the bottom half, flat white on top and the whole glider.
Automotive pinstripe and holographic silver tape (tail pipes) provided a nice touch.

The file Doug posted didn't include decals, so I got creative with <a href="https://www.gimp.org/">The GIMP</a> and
some Avery labels. I snagged stock US flags and 'United States' lettering, then scaled to size.

The 'Shrox Industria' logo came from the plans PDF. I lightened the black a bit to try and
match the grey underbody.

The canopies started out as Shrox Orion decals, resized to match the conical noses.

Despite my efforts to reduce the weight, my version still ended up at 6.25 ounces.
Some of that is clay ballast. The first flight was just a hair unstable, but easily
corrected on the field.

I'm still debating about adding the red and blue trim on the wings of the
booster and tail of the glider. I suppose it'll help with the tracking...

Has anyone else built a SHX Star Shuttle?

Never built one, but would like to. To bad the plans are not on the web. I downloaded them years ago but can't find them. They might have been trash inadvertantly.

Yours looks very nice! Thanks for sharing the photos.

Mark

someone PLEASE post the plans for this--i love gliders. this one looks awesome.

Yep, I built one. Like you I rolled the gliders' nose/tail cones from
paper. The first flight I had was very good (C11). The next flight,
with a D12, I didn't get sep on the glider/carrier. Still looked
good going up.

Nor did it work the second time. Apparently, at 2.5M it's too big. So PM me if you want a copy and I'll send it by e-mail.

Shrox posted that he is going to be getting back into the kit business, I wonder if this is going to be one of them that he is going to re-issue.

Originally posted by s1lence
Shrox posted that he is going to be getting back into the kit business, I wonder if this is going to be one of them that he is going to re-issue.

Yes sir.

We had put this up before the announcement...do you want me to take it down?

I actually have that kit on my workbench. I pulled it out of my stack of unbuilt kits in anticipation of the "Gliders" theme of the last ROCK launch. But I realized there was no way I was going to assemble it in a couple of evenings. :)

I recall that the StarShuttle is one of only a very few kits that I purchased immediately after seeing for the first time - one of those I just had to get.

-- Roger

Had one and still have the glider somewhere ? First flight the booster landed on the only powerline a mile in any direction ! Nice looking model, didnt even get a picture of mine, Guess I'll have to build a new booster for it thanks for posting the plans

Jim

does anyone have a source and part numbers for the pointy nose cones? I'm not good at rolling my own.

Originally posted by okey0
does anyone have a source and part numbers for the pointy nose cones? I'm not good at rolling my own.

That would be the PNC-55BB and they used to be quite common in PNC-55 nose cone assortments. Try Hobbylinc, Red Arrow or Great Lakes Hobbies.

Originally posted by zog139
Had one and still have the glider somewhere ? First flight the booster landed on the only powerline a mile in any direction ! Nice looking model, didnt even get a picture of mine, Guess I'll have to build a new booster for it thanks for posting the plans

Jim

I have a photo of that. particular model.. let me dig around Jim.

kj

I know I am resurrecting one heck of an old thread here, but I am looking for the plans for the Star Shuttle. All links are dead and I have exhausted all of my Google skills. Any chance someone still has them available?

Yeah,,
Google up Shrox,,
who better to get the plans from then him...
He's around Ye Old Rocketry Forum I think...

Teddy

Yeah Shorx moved to YORF when TRF changed hands. I have a copy, and he found that out buried in the archives (still haven't built it), and he asked me to send him a copy for his files, but I think he asked me not to distribute. I'll try to look into if I have an e-mail or PM that states that to be sure, but best would be to tag him on YORF.
or directly at [email protected]
looks like all that is left of his rocket company attempt are the SkonkWulf plan/decal packs https://www.shrox.com/shrockets.html

Thanks folks, I received a PM from someone that has a copy. I've had no luck trying to contact Shrox through those methods yet.

I think this poor 10 year old thread can rest in peace again.

Back