Good idea or dumb idea...balloon videography?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CQBArms

Reaction score
Ok so I have this idea but I want to see what you folks thing and if there is some safety concern I may be missing or some rule I would be breaking.

I would like to rent a a hot air balloon with a stable camera platform. We would either free float the balloon or tether it down range and it would be occupied by the pilot and the camera person/crew.

The theory is it would be at near apogee height plus 100 feet and at least the the highest altitude of the rockets launched plus the minimum safe distance as listed by NAR as a field size down range.

So if I am launching a D engine and my max height for simulation is 700 feet the balloon would be 700+500 feet down range and at an altitude of 700+100 feet high.

The cameras are Panavision/Sony Genesis cameras and are near film quality. The platform and rigs would be fully stabilized, I think it's a glide cam Golden Arm . So the video quality would be outstanding...and should capture some neat movies.

So what do you think? Safe or not safe, something that can be done or can't be done?

My only comment is that it may be a violation of safety regs or even possibly FAA rules to have a manned flying object anywhere on the range.

Mind you. this would be really cool.

A

Interesting...my theory is this would be "off range" as the minimum dimensions of the range for D's seem to be 500 feet. This would be at least 1200 feet away.

I was going by the NAR motor and range requirement.

https://www.nar.org/NARmrsc.html

I have used however helium filled blimp shaped balloons as unmanned camera platforms. You use three ropes to keep it in the direction you want and you have a RC plane controller to move the platform the camera's on and use another channel to press the button! Oh and use a booster vision on board so you can get a real time preview of what your shot will be.

-Jacob

I think it's a great idea and yes...according to the NAR published field size recommendations it would not technically be "on the range". I say go for it! :D

Well I have sort of a preview of how it would work if I did it...

Down Range: This would be an E distance downrange...

11-25-06_0821.jpg

Shot of the balloon with the pilot and camera guy looking down with the camera
normal_PA100095.JPG

Large Version:
https://www.cqbarms.com/rockets/albums/userpics/PA100095.JPG

Just sort of seeing what this would all look like, no rockets were launched.

My concern would be the FAA regs, which for our launches (if memory serves - it's been a while since I checked them) says we have to remain 5 miles (it might be different) clear of aircraft. Hot air balloons are aircraft, according to the FAA. They fall into the category of lighter-than-air aircraft.

WW

Originally posted by wwattles
My concern would be the FAA regs, which for our launches (if memory serves - it's been a while since I checked them) says we have to remain 5 miles (it might be different) clear of aircraft. Hot air balloons are aircraft, according to the FAA. They fall into the category of lighter-than-air aircraft.

WW

I think it's "airport or airfield" instead or "aircraft". Though like you it's been awhile since I read them...

But is that a model rocket FAA thing or a high power FAA thing?

These would be at most E's.

Originally posted by wwattles

WW

I've taken video of a rocket taking off with a camera attached to one of my R/C planes. Unfortunatey, I lost the clip when my harddrive decided to quit on me. I plan on taking some more videos this springtime.

SS

Back