TLP Falcon aim-4

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stymye

Reaction score
I started on a tlp Falcon today.
I like fabricating all the details before doing the build.
I also prefer to sand all the tubes and cone beforehand
On the tlp kits I think that paper laminating the fins is much better than soaking them with cya, plus it makes finishing so much easier !with little added weight.

I used a balsa stripper to cut the slots in the fin base strips , that gizmo is worth it's weight in gold to be so cheaply priced.
the balsa was covered with printer paper and 3m spray

the fin assemblys are built before attaching to the body tube.
there is some filling and sanding to do but not much.

Originally posted by stymye
I used a balsa stripper to cut the slots in the fin base strips , that gizmo is worth it's weight in gold to be so cheaply priced.
Excellent technique Andy. Always enjoy watching your builds.
Got a pic of that gizmo you'd like to share? ;)

Do you CA the papered fins after papering them? I've found that this adds TREMENDOUS strength with very little weight.

I am finishing a TLP ASRAAM and I also covered the balsa fin stock on both sides (before cutting out the fins). I used 3M Super-77. A few sprays, wait a minute, apply the paper and it's done. Transfer the fin template to the balsa stock as cut them out. And yes--it adds a tremendous amount of strength to the fins.

Great lookin' build as always Andy!:D

I`m getting ready to start a TLP Hellfire. I have never papered fins before. Are you using 3m spray glue to coat the fins and then paper them 1 side at a time? Or could explain your papering technique further. I`m looking forward to watching the rest of your build. :cool:

EDIT: Looks like the guy above me answered my question as I was typing! What further finishing is needed after the papering?

Originally posted by 5280

EDIT: Looks like the guy above me answered my question as I was typing! What further finishing is needed after the papering?

Sorry....didn't mean to hijack the thread.:(

I do a little different than Kaycee.

I spray the balsa and the paper than attach the paper without waiting. I than flip over the balsa and repeat.
I place the balsa sandwich between waxpaper and some weight for atleast 30 min.probably overkill but it works very well.

after cutting out the fins I sand the edges as normal and the paper feathers down without leaving any edge . sometimes I will carefully wick thin cya along the edges for extra durability. but I have never had the paper peel without that step.

Once the fins are installed,I'm carefull not to sand the paper too much.

when the rocket is primered the paper will have some fuzz to it
A light sanding will eliminate the fuzz. the paper handles normal primer and paint just fine .

not having to fill the balsa is worth the effort

Probably a dumb question, but what kind of paper are you guys using to paper fins? Ordinary printer/copier paper, card stock, or what?

I can't speak for everyone else but I use plain copier/printer paper.

The wings of gliders can be strengthened the same way, but it's better there to use modelling tissue as it's lighter.

I've always been a die hard basswood fan, easier to sand/finish/paint, IMHO. I think I have to give the paper technique a try. ;)

Thanks guys, I`m going to give it a try this weekend. I have replaced the 3/32" TLP balsa with 1/8" balsa of my own in the past simply because I thought (and had read several other opinions) that the TLP balsa was pretty flimsy. Sounds to me like papering may be the way to go. Keep us posted on your build! :cool:

Originally posted by Stones
I've always been a die hard basswood fan, easier to sand/finish/paint, IMHO. I think I have to give the paper technique a try. ;)

I used basswood alot in the past but am using the papered balsa more and more. it's amazing how strong the fin becomes! and no filling /sanding?.. I use half the primer I used to --- and end up with a perfect smooth fin thats lighter than basswood.

Stones,definately -try it

Some of you guys need to do a quick TRF search for 'laminated' or 'laminating' to harvest (note the clever use of a Thanksgiving-related term) a whole bushelful (there's another one) of info on reinforcing balsa fins

Sorry for the interruption

I spray the balsa and the paper than attach the paper without waiting. I than flip over the balsa and repeat.
I place the balsa sandwich between waxpaper and some weight for atleast 30 min.probably overkill but it works very well.

Another couple of newbie question for you about this. Do you cut the paper to size first, and if so, do you have any trouble lining it up when applying it? I've never used spray adhesive before, so I'm not sure if it's an almost instantaneous bond or if you get a little working time.

Thanks again for sharing your builds, Andy. You truly are a master that we all learn a great deal from.

Matthew,
I trim the paper after it's glued

I made a little progress , the red is sprayed
it still lacks the yellow section and decals.

Matthew,
I trim the paper after it's glued

I made a little progress , the red is sprayed
it still lacks the yellow section and decals.

amazing:eek:

all I lack is painting the top of the cone and decals
than clearcoating. It looking like the real thing now

:cool:

Andy-
I hope you'll be bringing all these new Museum pieces that you've been building over the winter months to Manchester. I sure would like to see 'um up close!

Then watch 'em FLY!:D

Once again--BEAUTIFUL!

Great build stymye:
Very nicely done. I really like the fin fairings fasioned with the balsa stripper. Haven't done anything like that since the daughters IQST Tomahawk. Thanks for the reminder Balsa strippers are very useful tools.

Another beaut Andy!
Does that have the cardstock laminated fins?

Originally posted by Stones
Another beaut Andy!
Does that have the cardstock laminated fins?

thanks Stones

Yes I do that with all the tlp kits now. I just use printer paper

It cuts down on the filling and sanding routine bigtime and I just never got the hang of hardening the fins with CA. it seemed to make them harder yet more brittle. and left a rough finish.

Great job!

I really love these TLP kits. I'm in the middle of a Maverick right now (packed for a month or two in storage during a move from Texas to Illinois).

-Tim

all I lack is painting the top of the cone and decals
than clearcoating. It looking like the real thing now

:cool:

I added the decals today, I'll spray some satin clear coat to protect the decals .

Back