Performance Rocketry no refund ??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SARocketMan

Reaction score
To cut a long story short I ordered 300 USD + of parts from curtis.

My bank account was debited the day after I made the order and I have not heard from him since.This was back in march.

I've emailed him and tried calling many times trying to cancel my order and get a refund.

I know other people have these types of stories as well.

What do you guys think I should do ?

Thanks,
Alex

I haven't had any experience with Performance Rocketry, but if what you're saying is accurate then I'd take the necessary steps to get my money returned. Especially after you've made efforts to contact him!

I'm not usually one to relay non-firsthand experience, but one of our club members, who is NOT a TRF member, has a horror story of his own about ordering parts from Performance Rocketry (the one in PA, not Performance Hobbies in DC). He also had his credit card charged immediately upon ordering, and has had nothing but trouble getting what he ordered, getting in contact with the company, or getting his money back. He sent a message to our entire club membership a couple of months ago warning us NOT to have any dealings with this company. :kill:

I would say this sounds like a company to avoid, due to either incompetence, malice, or greed on the part of the guy running the company. I know they aren't getting any of MY money :p .

are these companys related? they sure follow the same pattern

Dont buy direct from Curtis Ive heard of people waiting 2 years. I buy all my PR from Wildman . If he dosent have them he can get them in stock in 2-4 weeks. He would not charge your card till he ships the kit. Good luck

Originally posted by stymye
are these companys related? they sure follow the same pattern

Although Performance Hobbies doesn't do the best service via mail... if you saw his "warehouse" you'd get a better idea of why it takes some time to ship things, I think ;)

His service is far better in person, though

I live in PA and I would never order from PR.......Hawk (also in PA) is the way to go. You actually get a rocket when you plunk down your hard earned cash. Possibly a little more money for the rocket, but $300 would have gotten you something to fly from Hawk.

One dealer around these parts has waited 4 years for a NC....... what's that tell you?

https://hawkmountain.ws/

Chuck

I've waited almost 18 months. Basically my money ($80) I count as lost. Ooops. Won't do that again and tell most guys I know to steer clear. If he just had customer service he'd be doing better.

Edward

So what should I do ? I'm not after the parts I just want a refund.

Originally posted by SARocketMan
So what should I do ? I'm not after the parts I just want a refund.

If by bank account, you are talking about a credit card, contact your bank and have them do a chargeback.

How did you pay?

You're dealing with a proverbial dirtbag.

CC you can call them for a refund.
PO Money Order you can go for Federal mail fraud.
Personal check, go to your bank, but it's probably too late.

The guy is a fraud. He donated fin cans to a club around here knowing they were junk (read that as they sucked!! and caused shall we say, motor problems) and were poorly built. He's the joke of rocketry in this area, and his legend is growing. IIRC there was a kid here who called him out here on trf, he cried like a woman to the mods, the kid recanted. The kid was right, mods were wrong. This guy sux.

But rocket people are honest people will pay for quality and crap, PR are not rocket people. They are not honest. I recall their crying act at LDRS 23.....very well deserved, they paid a bunch for a prime spot and everyone ignored them......gee I wonder why? You didn't see them in the video? Wonder why. ;-)

Chuck Rudy
Stop by some time Curtis and we'll have a discussion. I'm not hard to find.

Jeez, Chuck, we got it the first time...no need to truplicate.;)

It would be interesting to compound all of the 'misplaced' orders and see just how much money has been scammed. Might minor legal action be in store?

Oh, by the way, I'm VERY curious about 'the crying scheme'. Anyone mind filling me in?

Originally posted by Stizzealth
It would be interesting to compound all of the 'misplaced' orders and see just how much money has been scammed. Might minor legal action be in store?

Oh, by the way, I'm VERY curious about 'the crying scheme'. Anyone mind filling me in?

Somebody should start a list.

Yeah, they paid a premium price to be out front of the flight line with all those big tubes there and most people ignored them. I guess he thought he was a rock star, then they went crying to the people in charge about "all the money they spent for a premium spot" and how they weren't making any sales.

Snickers were all about the place hearing of his 'troubles'.

Chuck

Well, I didn't actually loose any money, but when in need of some fiberglass parts for an LDRS build this year I tried calling and emailing Performance Rocketry 5 or 6 times over a two month period with no response. I finally had to call Hawk Mountain and I got the stuff in no time (see Fiberglass Odyessy).

-Tim

Originally posted by edwardw
Fine with me to start a list :)

$80

Edward

Count me in as well... after several 'troublesome' orders (all of which eventually arrived), Curtis has finally stiffed me for about $320 for a Comp-5 kit and some parts (paid for with a MO) that were due back in March 2006.

After many, many. many, many, many (get the idea?), many calls and Emails, Curtis finally called me back in August or so, crying the blues but promising delivery in a couple weeks. After many, many, many, etc. calls and Emails again, I've given up and filed a written complaint with the Cambria County DA (David Tulowitzki, for mail fraud) and the local BBB (go here: https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/GetStarted.aspx).

It's a darn shame as his parts are excellent and the four kits I DID get have all been excellent.

Originally posted by SARocketMan
$300 for me you know my story.

.....and there must be more.......it's just a matter of people finding this thread.

This is America, how about some advertisement?

;-)

Chuck

Originally posted by richalex2010
Although Performance Hobbies doesn't do the best service via mail... if you saw his "warehouse" you'd get a better idea of why it takes some time to ship things, I think ;)

His service is far better in person, though

What a trail.. I mean wairhouse it is! He manages to stock I think almost one of everything on his site in an 6' X 15' trainer and a full length covered truck! AMAZING!!

thanx, Ben

P.S. I wish I would of had the video of him squirming around for a reload box at the FRONT of his truck bed ;) I think he got stuck at one point ;)

thanx, Ben

I'm telling ya'. We need a seperate forum to "rank" sellers and vendors.

Originally posted by CQBArms
I'm telling ya'. We need a seperate forum to "rank" sellers and vendors.

You're posting in it. ;)

I think this needs to be bumped as I havent seen any parts yet.:mad:

you STILL haven't seen your parts? it's been almost 11 months now!

I've only got one kit from PR that I bought on ROL (the Mad Dog). I must have lucked out and bought it from someone else, because I recieved it within 5 days of my order. I'm very glad too, because I was new to the hobby, and hadn't heard about Curtis's wonderful performance :rolleyes:

Mine was in March 2005 that I ordered my parts, still haven't seen them or the $$. It is a loss now.

Edward

I feel bad for you folks -

but as was mentioned above, I have an order in right now with Wildman for a couple of PR nosecones, and Tim is waiting on one of them from Curtis. I placed the order two weeks ago, and I just got of the phone with Tim's wife (who apparently handles a lot of parts ordering as Tim is on the road alot) and she is confident that they'll have my cone in the next week or so, as they do a lot of business with Curtis.

Of strong note, I have not been charged by Wildman's for the order yet. In fact, I was checking my bank statement on line and noticed this, which is why I called in the first place.

I fully expect to get my PR parts (as well as a few other things from Wildman) in good time.

Is there a lesson to be learned here? With the obvious horror stories about the direct orders from Curtis - and the positive experience posted above (and the acceptable/positive experience I'm having so far with my outstanding order) using a vendor (i.e. Wildman's) - it seems that getting PR stuff is best done through a vendor, and not direct.

Originally posted by rokitflite
Is this thread about Curtis or Ken???:confused:

IME neither one of them is very good with customer relations.

Originally posted by rokitflite
Is this thread about Curtis or Ken???:confused:

Curtis, it's about those who've been ripped by Curtis.......and if what I heard is correct, it's gotten a lot worse, I mean really bad, but I'll wait for confirmation.

Ken is a great guy, his biggest problem is he's always on the road, no his biggest problem is everything is warehoused in a truck and trailer......well what's worse is he's got batfe legal problems......he's tried, but the man had put him down for the moment.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back