Manta Bomber build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
I am starting to build a Manta Bomber, I still have one that I built as a kid. I sure built sloppy when I was a kid, but the rocket was strong and flew well.....
100_2128.jpg
[/IMG]

always a cool rocket , and your build table is so tidy !
not something I'm able to do.

One of my favorite rockets of all time.

Love this bird!!!!!

I've got one too, and one that I built as a kid. Although my current one is still in the bag, mostly out of fear or reverence. Weird, eh?

Launch pictures? I live in Southern California, we keep having these dang santa ana's with dry air....no launch here. Here is a picture of my rocket ready for sealing then primer.
100_2132.jpg
[/IMG]

Originally posted by SCIGS30
I am starting to build a Manta Bomber, I still have one that I built as a kid. I sure built sloppy when I was a kid, but the rocket was strong and flew well.....
100_2128.jpg
[/IMG]

I've got one of these built, but I can't find the nose cone since we moved. I guess my winter project will be to find that cone. (And the others that have disappeared with it.):rolleyes:

Dang, another cool kit that I missed before BARdom, it is now on my to-clone list. :rolleyes: Is this an original kit? I wonder if anyone has tried to put A10-PTs in the outboard tubes?

It's an old Estes kit, number 1928. Here is the page about it on JimZ Rocket Plans.

I'd advise against putting A10-PT's in the outboard tubes. So far away from the central axis, if one of them ignites a little late, or worse yet fails to ignite at all, there will be seriously unbalanced thrust causing the rocket to crash. If you do try it, make sure that either the top or bottom is facing toward you and any spectators. Then if one A10-PT fails to ignite, the rocket will crash while flying to your left or right, not flying straight at you!

Originally posted by adrian
It's an old Estes kit, number 1928.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was asking whether this was being built from an original estes kit or being cloned. Re: outboards, someone really needs to start making something like the old FX smokers for birds like this.

This is a clone. I buy a lot of rocket parts on ebay, and one of the packs came with 3 of the above nose cones....I also buy decals on ebay....I use all Estes parts, sometimes I have to buy decals since those are hard to come buy......Even the fin stock is Estes,,,,,Estes used to sell Dowel,fin stock packs so I bought 20 of those when they were half off (2.00 dollars yea)..............The rest of the parts come in the old designer packs.....I use the orig. parachute with a longer rubber band...I have rockets that are 24 years old still flying on the orig. Estes recovery systems...........
finstock.jpg
[/IMG]

Very cool looking. I recently got ahold of one of those "cockpit" cones so I can put one of those together.

Is someone currently making a replica NC? I cruised over to Moldin' Oldies, but I didn't spot any there.

Moldin oldies does have them. Look under "additional parts", listed as PNC50 "Orion".

Today I sealed and sanded the the wood portions of the Manta and put it all together. I am waiting for the fillets to dry and then I will take some pictures before I prime the rocket...This is a fun rocket to build, it just takes time to cut, sand and glue everthing staight....It is funny, the one I built as a kid is pretty crooked but still flies, go figure.
100_2137.jpg
[/IMG]

I have the Manta primed and will get around to final sanding and final coat of Gloss white later in the week. In the mean time I will start a new build, Estes Patriot.
100_2141.jpg
[/IMG]

Holiday is over, back to building. Here she is painted waiting decals.
100_2190.jpg
[/IMG]

Great looking rocket !! I remember being too scared to buy that one when I was a kid because it looked too difficult :(

SS

Here she is all done. This is a fun build and if you ever come across one, I recommend giving it a shot.........
100_2196.jpg
[/IMG]

Very nice looking scigs! Now I'm going to have to pick up one of those NCs. Whos decals did you use?

That turned out great!!! I am in the works of making a 4x upscale of this bird, so if you don't mind I will probably use this thread as a reference. Again, that came out very nice.

Back