Want to be a REAL Rocket Scientist?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwattles

Reaction score
I got this in my e-mail today - looks like the real rocket scientists are hiring, big time!

----------------------------
ATK Launch Systems is the world's leading manufacturer of solid rocket motor systems for space launch vehicles. We are looking for experienced engineers and project managers to work with us on Ares I, the successor to the Space Shuttle. Join the ATK Team. Careers available in the following areas: Acoustics, Chemist/Chemical, Electrical/Avionics, Facilities, Loads, Structural Dynamics, Controls, Trajectory, Ordnance, Project/Manufacturing, Quality, Systems/Integration, and Tooling. Open house for qualified candidates will be held November 13 and 14 at the Crowne Plaza Los Angeles International Airport from 3:00 - 8:00 PM.

For full details, please CLICK HERE. Alternately, visit www.aeroindustryjobs.com, click "Search Jobs", and search "By Company" for ATK Launch Systems.

No, but I will be more than happy to sweep the engineer's floors and clean his office, shine his shoes, etc. Whatever I can do to make that man happy. :D:D

Jason

Originally posted by matthew
Ordnance? Ares I is going to be armed?
Explosive bolts, range safety destruct systems, parachute deployment pyros - there's a lot of stuff on rockets & spacecraft designed to work by going "bang".

Ah, of course. I hadn't really thought of those components as ordnance, but it is clear now you mention it. Thanks. :)

Originally posted by vjp
Explosive bolts, range safety destruct systems, parachute deployment pyros - there's a lot of stuff on rockets & spacecraft designed to work by going "bang".

If you watch the Challenger vids carefully you can see the range safety destruct system go to work on the SRB's about seven seconds after the initial incident.

Originally posted by fyrfytr310
If you watch the Challenger vids carefully you can see the range safety destruct system go to work on the SRB's about seven seconds after the initial incident.

Not just a "system".

There was a range safety officer that sent the command for
destruct on the solid rocket boosters. Every launch has someone
that is responsible for that duty. It's not done automatically for
saftey in case of failures of the destruct system and other
reasons as well.

William

As ths saying goes.....As a matter of fact "I am a Rocket Scientist"

But I still love good ole small model rockets that I can build with my own hands...we don't launch enough of the "Biggon's" to wet my appetite.

My first rocket (real) that I had a small role on was destroyed...2nd stage didn't light (I didn't do it :eek:)....but so far that's it...perfect ever since.

Yes, real rockets have more ordnance than you might imagine.....The Payload Fairing, Solid Rocket Motor Jettison systems, Spacecraft separation systems, the Range Safety distruct charges, some propulsion valves and even batteries....yes, we have Thermal Batteries that activate with a small explosive charge.

Latest posts

Back