Couple of new scratch builds and paint probs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BARX2

Reaction score
I've been busy building lately, but haven't had a lot of time for painting. Today I painted my Mini Lance from the NAR handbook and a Sandpiper target drone based on the Vashon Industries Sandpiper with some elements borrowed from the real Firebolt target drone. Here's the Lance in pimer.

Here's the Lance in Krylon Italian Olive paint. Try as I might, I just couldn't get the camera to focus on the rocket, instead of the background. :(

The Lance looks great. I've been thinking about building it for a long time. Glad to see you did. I hope to see it launch soon.

Thanks, Wayne. It was the first rocket I ever scratch built from parts to paint job in one day.

Dang, what happened to TRF? I was starting to post pictures and KA-BLAMMO - it was gone for quite a while. I didn't break it! :D

OK here's the one with the pain problems. This is the Sandpiper.

Here's the problem with the paint. I primed it with Original Kilz oil based primer. The Krylon made the Kilz crackle. The primer had been drying for a week. Anyone else have this problem with Krylon over Kilz?

You guys like pictures, right? ;)

Here's my scratch built Argonaut of my own design. It's BT-50 - so is the Sandpiper, by the way.

Here's my Wasserfall based on the Estes Canadian Arrow in Krylon gray primer. Hmmm, not very well lit.

Here's my scratch built "flat bottom" Estes Mini Shuttle. The wings are horizontal, rather than canted.

Finally, my upscale Estes Bandit - I call it the Fat Bandit - with the kit version. :)

OK, now that TRF seems to be back to normal operation, anyone care to comment on my builds and paint issue? ;)

BAR2X -

nice job on those birds! the sandpiper looks just like a jayhawk to me.

I am KILZ primer fan but I admit that I have had the same problem a couple times. Not to the extent that I see on your rocket tho.

The KILZ goes on fast and thick. I suspect that the lacquer in the Krylon is reacting with the KILZ to make the crackles.

I have used Krylon over KILZ on dozens of rockets with no problem except for a couple small crackles and they usually appear in the fin fillets.

I always assumed it was because I didn't let the KILZ dry long enough.

Man you would think a week would be plenty tho!

Did you do the 'sandman smell test' ? Sniff the paint, if you can smell it then it ain't cured.

Perhaps others can comment on this paint issue.

I love the clean lines in the boattail and beveling for the lance.

All I use is Kilz original and Krylon Fusion. I paint over the primer within hours sometimes as well with no issues....My motto is "If it's dry enough to sand it's dry enough to paint!" but I could just be lucky. :D

What was the weather like when you painted? Were both the models and paints at room temp when you sprayed?

I paint outside no matter the weather but I make sure the model and paints are warm and I immediately bring the model inside to dry.

The painting conditions were great. It was sunny, breezy and dry. The only thing I can think of was that I used two coats of Kilz on the Sandpiper because the first coat didn't fill the spirals, but the second coat had a week to dry. I don't think it had much, if any, smell left at that point. I keep my paint inside and always shake it for at least a couple of minutes after the ball rattles. Thanks for the comments. :)

Nice work Joe I am looking forward to seeing them fly. I have some new stuff to show you as well.

kilz and krylon,

It's hit and miss with that combo, I've had no problems yet next next time it crackes. I always let the kilz dry for atleast 24 hrs between coats. and still have 50/50 results..

so now I'm putting a coat of good primer like duplicolor over the kilz(if I use it) .with Much better results.

but for me kilz is not good for detailed rockets like a tlp kit , an estes blackbird or sandman kit.It will easily obliterate any detail ,

but since it hides flaws so well it will remain popular on that alone. I've realised it not a miracle any more than F-N-F might be

stymye - yes KILZ is not good when you have fine details.

each product has its use. The trick is deciding when to use what.

Back