Big Daddy 29mm Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And the bad glass area...

I guess I am ready for some primer. I think I might give it a coat and see where the real bad spots are to smooth out. Seems like I can find those spots easier after putting on the first coat.

On another note regarding this build. I do not recall seeing too many reviews in EMRR with this mod...only one if I'm not mistaken. So as a result I think I will write one up. Any suggestions on what people do/don't like to see in those reviews? I intend to keep it simple and to the point.

-DAllen

Back and Fill, Back and fill. If it was easy, everyone would glass all of their rockets. Just sand it out and fill in with some more epoxy. I doubt that a small gap in the glass is going to make much of a difference.

It's looking good so far. Keep the pictures coming.

It's good to see that the girls like rockets too. She'll make someone very happy when she grows up and keep daddy busy in the mean time. A person I know has a boy and a girl. The daughter just made her JrL1 this year. His son isn't all that interested in rockets. He better keep the shotguns loaded. She's a cutey too.

Somehow there has to be a way to convice the womens that rocketeers make better lovers, that way, there will be more single women at the launches. Smart, pretty, single women that are into rockets have been hunted to extinction. :(

Ken Brown

Here's the Big Daddy taped off for flames with 1/8" Scotch Plastic Tape. That was the easy part...Now for the masking. Yikes.

BTW - that plastic tape is awesome. This is the first time I have ever used it. I will probably not paint the flames today just because it is crazy windy outside. 25-35mph with gusts to 45 today - yikes again. Not exactly launch weather either.

-DAllen

thats pretty good !
I never could get the hang of curving fineline tape.

On the black rocket, you might paint white first.
or the flame color will be too dark and not stand out very well.

Big Daddys rock

Great idea however I think I will start with red at the bottom of the flames and then create a transition to yellow and a little white at the tip of the n/c. So if the red is a touch dark, that's cool with me. I've actually done that before when taping but instead of white I would lay down a coat of primer on the non-taped area.

-DAllen

It is painted. After about an 1 1/2 hours of the masking nightmare while sitting in front of the tube watching ND stomp all over Navy I got it painted. Here's a photo. A few coats of clear and IT'S DONE!

....now I just need to launch it.

-DAllen

VERY nice :D

Can't wait to see a pic with a nice G64 flame underneath it :D

Originally posted by cjl
VERY nice :D

Can't wait to see a pic with a nice G64 flame underneath it :D

You know...that's quite a compliment coming from the guy that created the 54mm (or whatever size that was) upscale duece. Thanks!

G64? I donno about that. It'll be an E16 for the first flight and an F20EJ or F40 for the second. And if the weather is good - MAYBE a G. And methinks if it's gonna be a G it'll be a G77R. :D

I'm sure a G64 will make it in there eventually. Unfortunately, I just found out that Three Oaks has been postponed because the crop hasn't been cut yet. It'll probably be another 2-3 weeks before I cram anything bigger than an E in it. I have a field to launch from but it just isn't big enough for anything higher than 600' or so. :mad:

-DAllen

You will be very happy flying that big daddy. I built one with fins laminated in epoxyand some nose weight, other than that completely stock. I have flown it 3 times so far. First on a RMS F40W, then a Roadrunner F60RR, then just yesterday a G40W. It is, to my suprise, very easy to track when it is up there. My next flight will probably be with a G104T. I can't wait to build a 38mm version.

Finally got to launch this beauty today at Three Oaks, MI during the Michigan Team 1 launch. Here you go...

-DAllen

And another...All I can say, the 7 seconds is waaaaaayyyy too long for this little guy. Didn't deploy until about 200' above the deck. Yeesh. 'Bout gave this daddy a heart attack.

Maybe I'll go back tommorrow and try a G64-10 but I don't think the weather is going to be any good.

-DAllen

Yes the deuce is 54mm, but it isn't painted as nicely as that :)

Nice pic - any estimate of the altitude?

Originally posted by cjl
Yes the deuce is 54mm, but it isn't painted as nicely as that :)

Nice pic - any estimate of the altitude?

Hehe...Thanks. Rocksim says 1250' but I'm guessing it was closer to 1000' because of the weather-cocking.

You know...A G77 redline would be fun too.

-DAllen

Originally posted by DAllen
Hehe...Thanks. Rocksim says 1250' but I'm guessing it was closer to 1000' because of the weather-cocking.

You know...A G77 redline would be fun too.

-DAllen

Are you planning on going to the Tripoli Michiana launch this weekend? The weathers looking good so far. Much better than last weekend. I would like to see it fly with a G77!

Yes I am planning on being there on Saturday just after lunch with the kiddos. I'll bring my Big Daddy with me but I donno about the G77 thing. I have expended a tremendous amount of rocketry goodwill with my wife so another $12-15 (or whatever it is) on a G77 may not be such a good idea. Although, I did manage to purchase a G64 this past Sunday for the bird in my avatar for this weekend. In other words...maybe. :D

On another note your signature says you L1'ed in 3 Oaks this past February. Were you the guy that did it with a PML Amraam? I remember that particular launch for some reason.

-DAllen

There were 3 L1 certs that day and two of us did it on ARRAM's. Mine was the 2" and the other was a 3".

That was good day. Hope to get my L2 in Saturday but I'm still waiting to see if my wife will let me go. :(

Whelp...Went to the Tripoli Michiana launch yesterday and FINALLY got to launch this bird with an F52. Beautiful flight but that delay was waaaaaayyyyyy too long. She was well on her way to terra-firma when the chute finally opened. Rocksim did not do a very good job predicting delay. I have checked the final weights, CG, launch conditions, wind, etc. to as close as what it actually was yesterday and RS said 8.3 second delay was ideal. I don't know why. I should've got the 5 sec delay.

No damage. And no pics because the lighting was horrible. Snow + overcast + point-and-shoot camera = bad pictures. BUT that means finally putting a review in EMRR and the next time I'm out she's going up on either a G77 or G64. :D

-DAllen

Sorry I missed it. I wanted to make it this weekend, but didn't want to drive that far with the weather being predicted. Hope to make it next month..Big Daddy's fly good on G64's! A friend of mine, lppa2006, flew his last month. Makes for a really cool flight!

You didn't miss much. The biggest motors that I saw there there were an H of some sort and a G80. I got there about 1pm and the weather turned to crap not long after I launched. There were very few people there. It was very windy and was snowing slightly. Before we even left they canceled today's launch. February 24 is the next one. Hope to see you there!

-DAllen

Back