Rocket itch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketman101

Reaction score
It's a nice summer day and you decide it's a good day to launch rockets. You get to the field and find out it's rather windy out. Do you pack up and go home still having the huge to launch? Or do you just launch the cheap stuff now and then when the wind isn't gusting?

Originally posted by rocketman101
the urge to launch rockets.

There's an EDIT button right over ----------------------------------------------------------here---VVV

No need to reply to yourself to correct the post...

It may be a silly thing to do but if I haul all my junk to the field....somethings gonna fly! :D

I'd put us something cheap and something I can lose.

I'm tired of losing the good stuff..or my favs.

Well, I'm must be either really old or boring . . . safety prevails first, launching comes second.

Having said that, a Snitch seems appropriate if nothing else.

Well, I'm must be either really old or boring . . . safety prevails first, launching comes second.

You're not really old or boring-you're smart and resposible!

Originally posted by akpilot

Having said that, a Snitch seems appropriate if nothing else.

I would think it obvious that I am not gonna fly in a hurricane or during heavy gusts...sheesh.

This is why Hobby Lobby has their half off sales, 40% off coupons, and clearance items. Windy days. :D

Seriously though, if I get to the site, and it's too windy to risk some models, I usually have some of my smaller cheaper stuff with me, and a couple rolls of different width streamer tape. I'll use smaller motors, and/or sub streamers for chutes. Most of the smaller Estes and Quest kits recover just fine with streamers any way.

Originally posted by Bohica
I would think it obvious that I am not gonna fly in a hurricane or during heavy gusts...sheesh.

Aw come'on, I know you wouldn't fly in a hurricane - Kentucky never gets them. Now tornado, that'd be a challenge . . .

Heck, I'd fly in a hurricane or typhoon - everything gets "rearragned" when they come through!:D

This doesn't usually happen to me. I'm compulsive about tracking the weather, and I'm usually picking a day specifically because there's a lack of wind.

That said, if I get out there and it's windier than the NWS indicated, I'd keep to smaller motors (and maybe cheaper rockets) to make sure I don't lose anything I'd miss much.

Originally posted by akpilot
Aw come'on, I know you wouldn't fly in a hurricane - Kentucky never gets them. Now tornado, that'd be a challenge . . .

Heck, I'd fly in a hurricane or typhoon - everything gets "rearragned" when they come through!:D

Very true!

Back