"AAA balsa... 4-6lb. balsa..... ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeenRocketNerd

Reaction score
I am trying to get an order ready for a company that sells balsa, basswood, liteply, and ACG ply at the lowest prices I've seen. However, their description of their balsa selection is confusing... They sell "AAA balsa" which is slightly cheaper than "4-6lb. Balsa." question is simple... WHAT DOES THIS MEAN??? :confused: what does the "AAA" designate? what does the 4-6lb. AAA designate???? I know that their are different grades of balsa, are either of these types okay to use for rocketry?

TIA... I'm baffled on this.... ;)

We did get our balsa from a supplier that had the same description. We have since switched to the Midwest brand of balsa. We didn't receive any complaints on the AAA stuff but I have noticed that the Midwest brand is stiffer in comparison.

Best regards,
Brian

OK, the designations have changed.

I used to buy SIG balsa in "B" grade, especially if it was listed as "Very Hard". I see that they've updated their site and that everything is now listed as "AAA" balsa.

I'd guess that their sheets are all "B" grade unless listed otherwise. I'd guess that their "Contest Grade" is probably "A" grade very light balsa while their "C" grade is the same as before. They do still have a section for "Very Hard" balsa sheets in 1/32" to 3/8" thicknesses and this is what I'd order for Low and Mid-Power use.

Ken Holloway
NAR #78336

"A", "B", and "C" grain balsa are different types of cuts, which lead to different characteristics in the resulting planks. Generally for rocketry (fins) you want "C" grain balsa, for stiffness. "A" or "B" types are more flexible and are used for planking airplane fuselages, spars, etc.

Here's a chart explaining the different types:

...to continue, 4-6 lb balsa is VERY light "contest grade" balsa which is highly sought after by model plane builders. For rocketry, you're usually more concerned about strength and stiffness, so look for hard "C" grain balsa for most fin applications.

Alright, thanks guys... looks like my order list just got shorter, since "A" grain is all this place sells... :(

Oh well, thanks for the help and chart!

Latest posts

Back