reload hardware

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff

Reaction score
Now that I have built a couple of 29mm and 38mm rockets, and have flown a few F and G single use motors, I guess it is time to enter the realm of reloads. However, to the novice, the world of reloads is confusing - what kind of casings should I get? Are all casings compatable with Aerotech motors? Do I need several length casings for each diameter hardware? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

I just started that too.
I bought some casings for 24 and 29mm. Dr. Rocket and and RouseTech or some such thing. It seems there are different lengths for a veriety of reloads.
I found that apogee has a great list of what goes with what.
https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rouse-Tech_Motors.asp

The actual motor casings are very simple devices. alum tubes with two endcaps with different threading and "devices" one has a cup, one has a port.
Neat but not overly complicated.

Originally posted by Jeff
Now that I have built a couple of 29mm and 38mm rockets, and have flown a few F and G single use motors, I guess it is time to enter the realm of reloads. However, to the novice, the world of reloads is confusing - what kind of casings should I get? Are all casings compatable with Aerotech motors? Do I need several length casings for each diameter hardware? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Amazingly enough, that Apogee page will confuse you since the casings offed for sale are both the "Model Rocket" 24/40 and the 3 non-standard 29mm psudo-high Power casings (they are Model Rocket power since they are the short casings, but they use the end fittings of the longer HPR 29mm casings.

The standard model Rocket caings are shown here:
https://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/
In the catalog:
https://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/c..._Flyers_Data_Sheets/2005_aerotech_catalog.pdf
The 29/40-120 is the E through G casing for Model Rockets.

What's Up has a great price on the 3 casing combo. It's not listed here, but just ask.

https://www.whatsuphobbies.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=WUH&Category_Code=RT

Originally posted by CQBArms
I just started that too.
I bought some casings for 24 and 29mm. Dr. Rocket and and RouseTech or some such thing. It seems there are different lengths for a veriety of reloads.
I found that apogee has a great list of what goes with what.
https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rouse-Tech_Motors.asp

The actual motor casings are very simple devices. alum tubes with two endcaps with different threading and "devices" one has a cup, one has a port.
Neat but not overly complicated.

Thanks - the Apogee page was both informative and confusing. If I want to use only F and higher reloads do I still want the 29/40-120 casing??

That's the preferable one. The 24/40 only goes up to Fs (and Es), and the 18/20 is only Ds, if I remember correctly... It's also got the widest range of motors available (a couple Es, and a lot of Fs and Gs)

-Jake

Yeah the 29/40-120 takes thw widest range of hobby reloads. At least that was the way it was explained to me.

Thanks - the Apogee page was both informative and confusing. If I want to use only F and higher reloads do I still want the 29/40-120 casing??

Originally posted by shreadvector

What's Up has a great price on the 3 casing combo. It's not listed here, but just ask.

https://www.whatsuphobbies.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=WUH&Category_Code=RT

Fred, thanks for the tip!! just emailed What's Up Hobbies at 6:50pm est and Andy emailed me back at 6:56pm! Here's what he had to say:

Question:
>Do you sell the Rouse-Tech RMS hardware in the hobby combo - 18mm,
>24mm, and 29mm or do they have to be purchased separately? Also,
>what would be the shipping and handling charges and delivery time?
>

I do both. The 3 pack of motors is $84.
The 18mm is $24.99
The 24mm is $29.99
The 29mm is $33.00
All are in stock.
Shipping is $10.

This is the least expensive I've seen so far. Also, getting a real response in 6 minutes is pretty good.

Mags and I have been itching to start with some small RMS motors, this seems like a good deal for the three hobby sizes. Everyone else was between $125-140. Does anyone see a downside to this?

Tom and Mags --- :D

Tom:

I say go for it. I bought two 24/40 cases and one 29/40-120 case from Andy. They're great.

Josh

Originally posted by JJI
Tom:

I say go for it. I bought two 24/40 cases and one 29/40-120 case from Andy. They're great.

Josh

Well, I think I just found my birthday present to myself!! Now do I really have to wait two more days?? Jeez, ya think after 47years I could wait for three stinkin little pieces of aluminum wouldn't ya?? No way!! Haha:D

Tom

I too am ordering that...it's pretty inexpensive compared to my other cases I have bought.

So there are certain motors that you can use with the 29/40-120 casing, like the G33J and G64W, which you cannot use with the 29/120 casings - is that correct? And conversely you cannot use the G77R or G79W with the 29/40-120 hardware?

So there are certain motors that you can use with the 29/40-120 casing, like the G33J and G64W, which you cannot use with the 29/120 casings - is that correct? And conversely you cannot use the G77R or G79W with the 29/40-120 hardware?

That's correct. The 29/120 is a high power casing. True, it only uses the mid-power G77R & G79W reloads, but is of the design - case style and closures - of the other 29mm high power cases like the 29/180, 240, & 360.

The 29/40-120 uses "hobby line" reloads from E - G. The grain configurations for the two cases are different as well as the cases themselves. The two cases - and their respective reloads - are NOT interchangeble. Any specific reload only fits one of the cases.

For starting off in 29mm mid-power, the 29/40-120 has the most versatility.

The 29/120 has the advantage of having closures which are interchangeable with the other high power cases. To "graduate" into flying 29mm high power (H and above) all you would need to additionally purchase would be the appropriate case size and use the 29/120 closures. Of course you need to get certified and with the new ATF NPRM you can't buy H and above reloads without a LEUP.

Mark - thanks for that post - it clarified things greatly for me. Speaking of this ATF ruling, now in order to posess an H engine I need to....do what exactly? Get an explosives license? WTF?

Well, there are theoretically a few ways around that (a "club" licence or similar), but yeah, that's about what you need to do now. It really stinks, and hopefully will be over with relatively soon.

The 29/40-120 case uses hobbly line reloads. The propellent grains are C-slotted and they have a different size delay element.

The 29-120 high power case uses a Bates type propellent grain and the delays are the standard high power RMS+ delays used in the other 29MM & 38MM H and larger reloads.

The 29/40-120 gives the most flexability for MPR. The 29-120 is strictly a G case. You can get a Redline reload in the 29-120 ; but not in the hobbly line. You can get Blackjacl reloads in the hobbyline ; but not for the 29-120 yet.

Al
BRS Pres

I handed him cash for the set of 3 casings. They are a serious deal. And they are Golden.

There is no downside.

i probably should have bought 3 sets so I could bring a couple extra to folks who could not drive to the launch where he was at. But there's always mail order.

Go for it and enjoy.

Originally posted by mr_fixit
Fred, thanks for the tip!! just emailed What's Up Hobbies at 6:50pm est and Andy emailed me back at 6:56pm! Here's what he had to say:

Question:
>Do you sell the Rouse-Tech RMS hardware in the hobby combo - 18mm,
>24mm, and 29mm or do they have to be purchased separately? Also,
>what would be the shipping and handling charges and delivery time?
>

I do both. The 3 pack of motors is $84.
The 18mm is $24.99
The 24mm is $29.99
The 29mm is $33.00
All are in stock.
Shipping is $10.

This is the least expensive I've seen so far. Also, getting a real response in 6 minutes is pretty good.

Mags and I have been itching to start with some small RMS motors, this seems like a good deal for the three hobby sizes. Everyone else was between $125-140. Does anyone see a downside to this?

Tom and Mags --- :D

Originally posted by shreadvector
I handed him cash for the set of 3 casings. They are a serious deal. And they are Golden.

There is no downside.

i probably should have bought 3 sets so I could bring a couple extra to folks who could not drive to the launch where he was at. But there's always mail order.

Go for it and enjoy.

Fred,

Thanks for the tip!! Ordered the set from Andy last week, should be here shortly. Also order some reloads for the 18mm and the 24mm from him as well. He really spent some time with me on the phone making sure I not only got what I wanted but what I needed. We also talked some about the ATF and how he is handling it, very sensible gentleman. Also about what would be a the best rocket for my level 1 attempt down the road.

Could not have been a better experience, not to mentioned an extremely cost effective one! Thanks again from Mags and myself!

Tom and Mags - Launching and Smiling in NY and CT:D :D

Yep, Andy is a great guy. I have two of these sets purchased from him and a third 24mm case I got the last launch. I can do clusters and it is great not having to load them in the field.

Originally posted by CQBArms
Yeah the 29/40-120 takes thw widest range of hobby reloads. At least that was the way it was explained to me.

29/40-120 hobby cases are the greatest invention since bubble gum (I have three of these casings). If you need one case to do it all, this is the one to get.
In combination with a 24/40 you are set for about everything up to HPR.

I too must second the notion of getting the 29/40-120, 24mm, and 18mm Rouse Tech casings from Andy.

I got the deal, and they are great casings. Andy was very nice to deal with. In fact, his single casing price on the 29/40-120 case is probably the best around. If you are placing an order with him, I would advise you to go for the 3 case set and add an extra 29/40-120 case.

You WILL want the 29/60, 100 and 120 cases. Eventually you will want (no, *need*) the 29/180 and 240 as well. ;)

Back