Fun with the neighbors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CQBArms

Reaction score
I've been launching a couple rockets a day for the last couple three weeks.
Just launching and taking pictures, trying my best to find the rockets I have launched...you know just messing around.

Well there's a group of my neighbors that walk past my house every day, some moms, some older folks, all on a little sojourn up and down our fairly rural street.
Well just about every day one of my neighbors stops and watches the launches from the road. She watches the launches and then the frantic attempts to find the rockets as they come down.

Today I was coming back from a couple launches; she came down the driveway to talk to me. She asked "what's up with the rockets?" wondering if they had anything to do with my work. Being somewhat of the gossip that she is I thought I would have a little fun with her.

"Oh nothing.”, I responded, "I'm just getting ready."
"Ready for what?" she asked.
"Ready for when our alien overlords come down to reclaim the planet. I figure people with skills in rudimentary propulsion will not be eaten or sent into the slave mines." (Said with a straight face) “It’s going to happen any day now ya’ know.”
The look on her face was priceless….I could see for that brief moment the wheels turning, her wondering if I did know something that she didn’t. Then the quick realization that I might have gone insane or some other thing, and her contemplating what she was going to tell the neighbors and more importantly how she was going to get outta here and back to her house.

I then started laughing and told her I was just kidding. I explained how this whole foray into model rockets came about. Interestingly she had always wanted to launch rockets but her brothers never let her so all she did was watch. I asked her into see the growing collection of rockets and kits I had and gave her one of her own out of my “stash”.
I hooked her up with one of the free kits I got from Semroc on my last order, a swift it was. Gave her some glue and some sandpaper and told her to work on the kit in her spare time. When she was ready to paint it I told her to come back over and we’ll figure something out.

Originally posted by CQBArms

"Oh nothing.”, I responded, "I'm just getting ready."
"Ready for what?" she asked.
"Ready for when our alien overlords come down to reclaim the planet. I figure people with skills in rudimentary propulsion will not be eaten or sent into the slave mines." (Said with a straight face) “It’s going to happen any day now ya’ know.”

that's pretty darn funny! :p Great story, and who knows, maybe another rocketeer was just born by your small gesture. :)

Back