secret santa 06

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r1dermon

Reaction score
ok guys, that time has come...time to submit names for the secret santa gift swap...

the email address is [email protected].

this year, the format is like this

John Doe
46 rocket road
springfield, NV 78901

any submissions not in this format will not be counted, i simply do not have the time to weed through hundreds of emails to fix the one that was not done correctly. also this year, there is no wish list, its just too time consuming and confusing. when you do your email, entitle it secret santa, i dont need a message from you guys, but if you do leave a sentance or whatever, make sure your address (in the above format) is CLEARLY seperated and set up just like i did it above...this year im using a computer program that my brother made to randomly select participants. (dont worry, its all done offline, so nobody's address will stray from [email protected]). anyway, once again, PLEASE follow the above format. and please no PM's unless you're a vendor. deadline to register will be the weekend before thanksgiving...so that's well over a month...lastly, please support the vendors here on TRF, they're great and they usually offer great secret santa specials. anyway, i anticipate this year to go a lot smoother than last year...so let the emails begin...:D

good point...include both...new format

john doe (aka: trf screen name)

thanks for pointing that out..

Originally posted by UncMikesRktShk
Well count us in as a vendor.
So what role do vendors serve under Secret Santa? Does this mean someone will be sending a gift to Uncle Mike?

EDIT: Oh, I think my answer is in the original post. Oh well :rolleyes: .

Originally posted by TWRackers
So what role do vendors serve under Secret Santa? Does this mean someone will be sending a gift to Uncle Mike?

Normally in addition to getting a gift of our own, some of the vendors will offer SS specials. We havent determined what our special(s) will be this christmas yet ;)

I'm new here, so pardon my dumbaxe questions.
I know the basics of Secret Santa deals, but how do you guys usually do it?
Things like:
If you want in, you get a name and address to send a gift to...or do you send the gift to a common place where they all get sent from?
How much do we spend?
When?

That sort of thing.

Or if it's in another post, direct me to it, and call me an appendage.

You'll get an address of someone to ship it to. Many of the vendors who frequent here (see the secret santa 2006 vendor thread) will take your order and ship directly to your gift recipient if you prefer to go that route.

Rule of thumb has been around $10, although that has been pretty flexible in the past. Last year the value of what I sent to my SS recipient was around $20, but it was also a couple of kits I already had on hand that I'm never going to get around to building.

If there is no wishlist this year is there going to be a process to prevent people getting unsuitable gifts - like a 12 year old model rocket flyer getting one of Sherri's Saturn Vs (like that is going to happen), or a pure HPR flyer getting an Skill level 1 Estes kit?

Also how does SS work for non-US based participants - i'm thinking postage and import tax implications etc.

Originally posted by Daedalus
or a pure HPR flyer getting an Skill level 1 Estes kit?
For the Brits the answer is easy .... bring it to IRW and do something 'creative' to it ;)

Also how does SS work for non-US based participants - i'm thinking postage and import tax implications etc.
In past years, the UK peeps have been treated as a distinct group, and the gifts swaped between them.

R1, Good to hear from you again, hope everything is going good for you,

wick

Sounds like a lot of fun!

I wish I could, but my brain tells me giving my personal information to a stranger online with no clue who will get it is a baaad idea.

Originally posted by TWRackers

Last year and this year as well we offer free shipping on SS orders... that includes sale items.

I actually registered last year as a "person" and not a Vendor, I didnt want to intimidate anyone becuase we have soo much stuff already!

So this year again I will be registering as Bruce Novicky and not Countdown Hobbies....

I'll send my e-mail later today.

Maybe since there are to be no submitted wish lists, maybe we could start a SS Wishlist thread for those who sign up?

Stizzealth- Relax and join in the fun. R1dermon has run this for at least a couple of years that I know of and hasn't run around the country axe murdering people... And if your personal information isn't public record somewhere that's accessable by spammers and telemarketers already you are definitely in the minority these days....

Alright, I'm in again. This was so much fun last year I can't wait to do it again.
Originally posted by PunkRocketScience
Maybe since there are to be no submitted wish lists, maybe we could start a SS Wishlist thread for those who sign up?
That's an awesome idea. r1dermon, is it cool with you if I start up a wishlist thread for those who want to participate in that aspect?
Reed

Originally posted by Stizzealth
Sounds like a lot of fun!

I wish I could, but my brain tells me giving my personal information to a stranger online with no clue who will get it is a baaad idea.

If you have ever recieved ANY "junk mail" then you have nothing to lose becuase your name and address are already out there...

Theives are more concerned with getting your SSN# and Credit Card #'s, your address is easy to get and doesnt hold much value to them...

Anyways we have a system for people who abuse the TRF SS program... we Tar and Feather them!

I'm in! Looking forward to it, this is the first year I've remembered to sign up :rolleyes:

good idea, i think a wish list thread would be good...anyone participating could state what they want...remember, this doesnt necessarilly mean you'll get it, its just a suggestion. and please dont stray in your requests from the 10 dollar range...ie, 29/40-120 hardware...etc...vague requests will work best...accessories for HPR rockets, etc...just to give someone a general idea...emails are being processed.

Back