For the rocket video fan who doesn't quite have everything...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The camera only weighs 8.3 oz, so it is a good choice.

It costs $700. I certainly would risk that much money and then get an Aerotech "bonus" delay... ouch!

Originally posted by mwiggins367
The camera only weighs 8.3 oz, so it is a good choice.

It costs $700. I certainly would risk that much money and then get an Aerotech "bonus" delay... ouch!
Maybe do like cosmonauts used to do: bail out of the capsule and parachute to the ground on their own. :D

Originally posted by mwiggins367
With that many $ in the payload you will be flying redundant electronics anyway so the bonus delay won't be a problem.

Looks a good choice of camera for in flight if cost is not a limitation. I have a Traveller camera I haven't got around to flying yet - VGA resolution at 30 FPS so not too bad and much cheaper - I think mine was about £80 but the proce is going down. Just messing about with it the video quality is OK - I just need to get it into a rocket now and fly it - that is part of my winter project.

https://h8349.serverkompetenz.net/htdocs_traveler/uk/front_content.php?idcatart=195&lang=3&client=3

DV3010_side2.jpg

I used a Polaroid Studio 4 (aka Ion Director Classic) in my "upscale Cineroc." It records 640x480 at 30 fps for about 20 to 40 minutes onto a 1GB SD card. It weighs about four or five ounces with batteries. The camera sells for $80 to $100.

https://www.payloadbay.com/article-upscale-cineroc-takes-flight.html

In actuality, the camera doesn't really appear to keep up with 30fps when the rocket is moving. But I'm very happy with the quality of the video.

I did have some problems with the Divx codec required to view the videos. Just having them loaded on my PC caused Adobe Premeire to crash. So I use Windows Movie Maker to convert the video to AVI on my notebook computer and copy the AVI to my desktop PC for editing.

-- Roger

Back