NASA Students looking for help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyingTigers

Reaction score
OK, so last year we were a part of the NASA student launch Initiative, and we had an awesome year, but the time to resubmit a proposal has us in a panic. We have to Perform an experiment to be done in the air, inside a rocket with a motor level L or under. Last year we took air samples for global warming, and launched our 8 foot rocket on an L- 777WW. We are looking for any help you can give us. I have attached a picture of our Carbon Fiber rocket from last year.
-James

Are you looking for help on a project you've selected, or ideas on what the project should be in the first place?

I still like my idea of trying to "man rate" a rocket.

With a G.I. Joe crash test dummy set up with sensors.:D

How about...

Could James Bond have gotten his "shaken, not stirred" martinis made inside a rocket's payload section?

Just kidding :p .

We also kind of liked this idea, but do not know where to get any of the sensors, or equipment for the readings. We will keep looking, but are still open to new ideas at the same time. Also Gordon, any design ideas you might have would be great, we would like to keep to a large L motor just for the heck of it though. Probably a 6 inch body tube, but the 5 worked last time just fine.
-James

Here's an earlier thread which discussed BASIC Stamps and accelerometers.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27569&highlight=accelerometers

I've been curious whether a BASIC Stamp with a suitable single-axis accelerometer could give a reasonable approximation to distance-traveled-to-apogee by double integration, which would be altitude if the rocket flies straight up. It should definitely be able to give a speed profile via single integration. I just haven't gotten around to trying it out yet.

Here is what I was thinking.

I did a quick search and this was the first site I came up with.

https://www.omega.com/pressure/psc.html

They have an 800 phone number, give them a call tomorraw and ask to speak to an "applications engineer".

He may be able to help you.

What you have to start with is a doll and replace the arms legs rib cage etc with soft metal parts (like a cheap copper skeleton).

Attach the transducers at strategic break points on say the femur hip joints etc.

Get some anatomy books (man this has probably been documented like crazy!) and see just how much deflection certain bone/joins etc. in the human body can take and scale them down.

This could be so much fun to do!

I have a G.I. Joe space capsule!:D

Yes, i really think that the man-rating idea would be fun. It would also prove if you could just "Scale-up" everything to send the rocket we built into space. We will call this guy tomorrow and see what he can tell us. Thanks
-James

You could also use your existing rocket (OK, I would get rid of the "hot air baloon" you guys used for the parachute last year):D

All you would need to do is make a new "crew capsule" to mount on top.

If it's bigger than the rocket just put the rail guides on stand offs.

This is going to be so cool!

Yes, I confess I've been thinking about this a lot since we came back from Huntsville last year.:rolleyes:

Hey some people count sheep to fall asleep I work out design stuff in my head.:p

Yea, we had thought about changing the exsisting rocket, but there would be soooo much to change, not to mention the 5 pounds of lead shot we added to add to the stability last year. We think it would be easier and faster to go from scratch, because we did it last year and know EXACTLY how to do it. I think it would be cool to do a crew tower though!!!! And have it raised off the main part of the rocket. How would we do this in RockSim?
-James

4,000ns for returing teams, which is a mid-L, not a "full" L

How do you become part of NASA SLI??? I think it would be so fun to do.

First you have to place and go to the finals in TARC in Virginia.

Then you have to place within the first 15 or 20th places in the TARC national...I think.
:confused:

Yeah I was reading that after I asked sorry. I think it said you need to be on the top 15 teams. Gives our TARC team more incentive to make it to the finals I guess :rolleyes: :)

man, I should get my school into this I am a stones throw away fomr VA ;) :p maybe I will do it next year in High School. who knows :)

thanx, Ben

Back