MB1 Genie test

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred

Reaction score
The atomic tipped Genie was only test fired once over Yucca flats. It was detonated at 18000 feet over a group of observers. here are some photos of the test I found on the web. The aircraft is an F89 Scorpion and the yield of the weapon was 1.5 kilotons aproximately. With a range of six miles you had to turn in a heck of hurry apparently after firing it. The upside was whatever you fired it at was likely to float back to earth as charcoal. A different time indeed.
https://www.aracnet.com/~pdxavets/plumb2.htm
Cheers
fred

One thing that floors me is the volunteer observers dont even have sunglasses :(
Cheers
fred

Wow I learn something new here every time I visit!

Found some info and photos here:

https://acam.ednet.ns.ca/weapons/genie.htm

https://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/r-2.html

Looks like a nice canidate for a scale model. Forgive me if someone has already done this.

Not very complicated to model, but the idea of a nuke anti-aircraft weapon has a waaayyy cool factor!:D

A weapon from a diferent time indeed! Also, one fo these sites states the missile remained operational in to the 1980's.
That's quite a life span for any missile.

They had one of those on display at NARAM 43.

There's a picture of it in the January/February 2002 issue of Sport Rocketry in the pictoral section on NARAM 43.

Originally posted by HotRod Lincoln
Looks like a nice canidate for a scale model. Forgive me if someone has already done this.

The NAR's 1975 C Division Reserve Champion, Tom Holle, of Fort Wayne, IN flew this bird as his scale model. He built them in version up through about 3" dia tube.

Not very complicated to model

On the contrary, if you had, at Tom did, the detailed drawings for all the bolts, rivets, folding fins, etc. you'd be quite busy! :-]

Awesome...... I just dont quite see the point of an Anti-Aircraft Nuke????

Originally posted by iGGiE
I just dont quite see the point of an Anti-Aircraft Nuke????

Well, if it hit, you sure wouldn't need to worry about the target plane surviving the hit. For that matter, one hit would take out an entire formation, I'd imagine.

That can't be real . . . look at page 2 - they have Officers outside. Anyone that's been in the military knows they'd send out the enlisted pukes first - that or the canary.

Originally posted by kenobi65
Well, if it hit, you sure wouldn't need to worry about the target plane surviving the hit. For that matter, one hit would take out an entire formation, I'd imagine.
Bingo!

The idea was to counter the Soviet threat of the fleet air raid coming across in a huge formation. Soviet doctrine at that time was to have overwhelming numbers and if only 10% of the strike aircraft make it through, then it's still enough to decimate the US. So the US came up with the idea to use nukes to take out a bunch at a single shot.

Not so far-fetched an idea, when viewed in Cold War context.

WW

The idea as others have stated was to be able to knock down a formation all at once but even a single target carrying a nuclear weapon to the North American continent was worth taking any measure to knock down as the result of it getting through were literally catastrophic. Heres an interesting article on how genie worked in Canada. The RCAF was the only air force outside of the USAF to be issued this weapon.
https://www.ualberta.ca/EDMONTON/CONTRIB/airmuseum/aamvoodooc.html
There is one inaccuracy in the article that i picked up on. The BOMARC had a 7 to 10 kiloton warhead not 1.5 like the Genie. Using a Genie was not without risk but if a subsonic scorpion could manage it i dont know why a Voodoo could not.
Cheers
fred

narprez
The NAR's 1975 C Division Reserve Champion, Tom Holle, of Fort Wayne, IN flew this bird as his scale model. He built them in version up through about 3" dia tube.
On the contrary, if you had, at Tom did, the detailed drawings for all the bolts, rivets, folding fins, etc. you'd be quite busy! :-]

Now that sounds very interesting. Anywhere I could get photos of that model? On the web or a magazine issue I could search for?
Or a source for the detailed drawings?

Thanks

thank you very much ctimm as i have been looking foever for this stuff :) Next will be the nuclear falcon :)
Cheers
fred

Back