Shuttle being shadowed by Mystery Object

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lessgravity

Reaction score
Have you guys seen todays news reports about the Shuttle Mystery UFO?

"NASA Tracks Mystery Object Near Atlantis Shuttle
19 September 2006 10:55 a.m. EDT

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – NASA mission controllers are tracking a mystery object hovering between the space shuttle Atlantis and Earth, and traveling at roughly the same speed as the orbiter, agency officials said Tuesday....."

Look under the Mission Update for Sept. 19th

https://www.space.com/spaceshuttle/

hmmmm.... I wondered what had happened to my Art Applewhite saucer the other day :)

I've been watching and listening to the NASA feed. Despite the wishful thinking of conspiracy crowd, the consensus is that it's probably just a piece of ice that shook loose during a hot-firing test of the RCS a few hours before. The major factor in waiving off tomorrow's landing is that the weather forecast at KSC is pretty crappy, so as long as they have the extra time, they'll perform a CYA re-evaluation of the TPS, JIC.:D

Originally posted by Mark Clark
It is one of the bolts they lost.

Mark
(rolling on the floor laughing)

hysterical2.gif

I think it's a very LARGE piece of masking tape, or the red plastic cap, which they were using to hold one of the RCS (reaction control system) igniters in place. We know those blow off when the motors fire.

Originally posted by TWRackers
I think it's a very LARGE piece of masking tape, or the red plastic cap, which they were using to hold one of the RCS (reaction control system) igniters in place. We know those blow off when the motors fire.

Nope. It's Dog Barf!

-- (Jolly) Roger

Originally posted by jadebox
Nope. It's Dog Barf!

-- (Jolly) Roger
Nope, would be lots of little pieces.

Could be 4ft square sheet of Estes Recovery Wadding though. Don't they stuff that into the tops of the RCS motors so they can't ignite each other from the rear? Sort of like what I've started doing with my shiny new Richter Recker?

Mystery Solved!

NASA applied the latest multi-frame image enhancement techniques to the video, and was able to resolve the object a little more clearly:

object

Originally posted by vjp
Mystery Solved!
<a href="https://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20060924">User Friendly Cartoon</a> on the objects...

:D

Back