How do you store your rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After a time of building rockets I've discovered that it is getting harder to store the rocket fleet. What have other folks done to keep the fleet intact? Although a method that displays them would be good it isn't necessary. I need to be able to store them out of the way such that they are protected in the garage.

I went to a liquor store and got the empty box from a case of wine, the kind with cardboard dividers between the bottles. I then put my rockets into the box nose-down. Each compartment can hold 2-3 rockets. I alternate tall and short ones so the fins don't clang into each other.

For saucers, I use a shoebox.

For the smaller stuff, I use a plank of wood, with spent motors of various sizes screwed to it. The screw passes through the plank and then into the clay nozzle. The motor is then inserted into the rocket's motor mount.

Works quite well though I've had to replace some of the motors - poopy clay perhaps.

I had bought a number of Rubbermaid 22 gallon storage tubs from Home Depot a while back, and have used them to store the rockets. I use the plastic shopping bags to slip over the rockets to protect from scratching the paint, then either lay them down or stand them up in the tub.

It works for me!

I have the luxury of a 4 bedroom home with no kids.
One bedroom stores the fleet.
Unbuilt kits go in the closet in a plastic storage bin.
The built kits and "works in progress" line 2 large tables in the room.

I just keep the door closed so my friends and family don't think I'm nuts.

I just keep the door closed so my friends and family don't think I'm nuts.

Oh...that ship has sailed away from my house a long time ago!:rolleyes:

I build what are essentialy coat racks. The base is 3" wide and .5" thick. length is up to the builder. I then drill recesses with a spade bit every 6 inches and glue/staple dowels into these holes. The rockets just slip over the dowels. You have to mount them high on the wall because the rockets stick out horizontal. You could just set the rack on a shelf though.

Unfinished and part finished rockets are in my office. The ones I spent a lot of time building and finishing are displayed in trees at the local park.

:p

I have four of the 3 or four foot long rubbermaid containers, and put them in there with packing peanuts. They fit nicely in the back of my wifes van, and are very easy to transport. There's enough rockets in each one to keep them from moving around much.

Micromeister,

Wow! How do you decide what your going to fly? Wheel of Fortune? Crazy 8 Ball? Or maybe even "Eenie Meenie ....."?

:p

I use a cheap wooden wine rack I got from my local supermarket for about 7 dollars. It's got 2 levels, and holds about 5 rockets on each.

WW

Originally posted by Micromeister
Rockets in every room of the house except the kitchen and Bathroom as well as having their own 10'x 10'x 12' storage shed out back:)

I think we have a legitimate contender for the largest quantity of model rockets launched at once... wait... as long as I don't have to track them.

As of now, I don't have many rockets yet, so I just display them on top of my clothing drawers, book shelves, and some other small shelves that I had my dad install into the wall about a year ago.

I live in an apartment so storage is limited to the understair closet. Anything over 6' has to be broken down or kept in a friends garage.

I store them on the shelves of my rocket room! I make stands from spent motor casings glued to wooden bases. See attached!

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Originally posted by teflonrocketry1
I store them on the shelves of my rocket room! I make stands from spent motor casings glued to wooden bases. See attached!

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Sweet. I'm digging the old school Bandit and Cherokee D.

Originally posted by pdooley
Sweet. I'm digging the old school Bandit and Cherokee D.

Holy crap dude! Where have you been?! I unfortunately don't live in Florida anymore, but it's good to see some of the old HERC gang on the forum. Man do I miss those days of flying on the HWY 56 field!

In response to the original thread's question, well...mine are all in cardboard boxes in a spare room in our house. I don't even know what I have anymore. I had collected so much stuff at one point that I ended up just putting it all in packing peanuts in a hurry. I guess one day when I reBAR it'll be Christmas all over again!

Originally posted by eugenefl
Holy crap dude! Where have you been?! I unfortunately don't live in Florida anymore, but it's good to see some of the old HERC gang on the forum. Man do I miss those days of flying on the HWY 56 field!

I took a little break to catch up on some car and house projects.

I noticed you had moved, even read a little of your blog with the rental house with the green light:)

We need to catch up some day and meet somewhere with the HERC gang for a reunion launch.....some day..
Until then I just fly at my church or the high school field down the street.

Sorry, back to the rocket storage thread..

I carry my rockets to the field in a large Rubbermaid container with bubble wrap and store them with my building supplies under my bed. Shhhhh...don't say anything to my wife - she thinks that's where we keep the wrapping paper!

Back