January Best Rocket Competition MPR/HPR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
This is the official location of The Rocketry Forum Best Rocket Competition. This is a monthly event to show off your "stuff" and find out who has THE BEST ROCKET OF THE MONTH! When entering, make sure you follow the criteria listed below and you will do fine. From the 21st(or there about) until the end of the month we'll be polling to see who should win the Best Rocket Competition.

Whenever I can get appropriate sponsorships for the month there will be 2 contests. One will be strictly LOW POWER(F impulse and below) and the other will be MPR/HPR(G impulse and higher). So double check to make sure you entering in the correct 'power level' thread! Only ONE entry per person per month(no entering BOTH LPR and MPR/HPR in a single given month!). The thread titles will reflect the power level: XXX Best Rocket Competition LPR or XXX Best Rocket Competition MPR/HPR.

Da Rulez

1. Header of picture should include, name, what kit or was it custom, LPR, MPR or HPR. Example: LPR Estes Hijinx..Put this in the 'title' block when posting.
2. A BRIEF description of rocket details. Anything that would make it apparent to somebody that yours is THE BEST.
3. Only ONE entry per month.
4. Please no extended off topic conversations.
5. Rockets made at any period of time may be used.Rocket needs to be in your possession/fleet at the time of the competition!
5A. Rockets entered MUST have at least one successful flight. Not simulated, but real world flying through the sky type..with successful recovery.
6. Rocket may be entered into the current months competition only ONCE! Rocket may be entered into a following months competition if it fits the given category.
7. If there is a monthly specified type of contest (such as red, white and blue themed), you can only enter rockets that are applicable.
8. Entries will be taken first 3 weeks of month and after the 21st of every month the contest closes.
9. The last week of the month we will be polling on who should win in each class. If there are more then seven(7) entries for the month, the entries will be split into multiple polls based on entry sequence into the competition and a run-off will be held with the top vote recipients from each poll. Run off voting period will be 5 days.
10. Winners get bragging rights for a month!

Theme

The theme this month is Upscales

So, show us your awesome builds!

Remember detail, details, details! So don't be shy, include extra photos of the little bits that make YOUR model extra special!
If you entry is a kit, let us know who's kit it is!

PRIZE(S)

Our awesome MPR/HPR sponsor this month is K & S Rockets! And the goodies up for this month is a $30 gift certificate for their webstore!

So, let's get those entries in!

Lets see those upscales. I know there has been some very nice one on this forum so get them entered.

Hmmm, it is the 13th and we don't have ANY entries?:confused2: I KNOW there are some really kewl and outstanding Mid Power and Hi Power upscales out there, I have seen them! They have even been posted in other parts of the forum, so I know they exist..C'mon guys, quit being shy and show those big rockets!:neener:

Start the ball rolling with my 5.5" Upscale Cherokee "K".

Used Jimz's plans for the upscale. All Loc Precision tubes, 5.5L nose cone, and altimeter bay for dual deploy were used.

Centering rings were cut on my router.

Rocket has flown four times to date. from a Ceasaroni J330 to an Aerotech K550. The K550 flight recorded an altitude of 3548ft (transposed from meters) on my Entacore altimeter.

cherokeego.jpg

cherokee.jpg

I cut my own vinyl.

100_0614.jpg

100_0615.jpg

Probably the most interesting thing about this rocket is that it is covered in an iron on film. Ultracote by Hanger Nine to be specific. There was no fiberglassing of the tubes and no filling of the spirals. Just ironed on the covering.

As it appears today after four flights.

100_1012.jpg

business end gets a little charred. 54mm Aero-pack retainer.

100_1011.jpg

more photos of the covering here.

https://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s20/joeG_album/upscale cherokee/

Last edited:
WTH only one entry. I guess Joe is the only one that is proud of doing an upscale. Get of your duff and enter those upscales.

No wonder there are no challengers. Joe's Cherokee is pretty impressive.

Here is my 2.9 x upscale Centuri Groove Tube. I built it last year for L1 certification. It's flown about 12 times since. Got a little carried away and launched it this weekend on a G75J, H165R, and I200W, and it held up well. The I200 toasted the bottom though. I wish I had put a 38 mm mount in because it's pretty much been maxed out now with 29 mm motors.

Specs: 55", 2.6" BT
Aerotech Nose cone;
32 oz. unloaded.

It seperates at 30" with about a 12" payload.
I used Semroc tubes for the main body and Aerotech tubes for the six pack.
I redrew the decals myself and used an Inkjet. The chrome is from Stickershock.

Last edited:
Got a little carried away and launched it this weekend on a G75J, H165R, and I200W, and it held up well. The I200 toasted the bottom though. I wish I had put a 38 mm mount in because it's pretty much been maxed out now with 29 mm motors.
I had a 3" version with a 54mm mount and dual deploy. Lost it on a K160.

Yes, that Cherokee is nice...

OK So here is my entry. My 4x Estes Argosy. I have flown this rocket about 5 or 6 times, from a Pro 38 I287 to an AT J500G. I certed L2 on a J420 Redline. The I600R at LDRS just made it scream. I plan on putting a Skid in it at this years LDRS. If I can get some strobes, I'll launch at night.

These pics are from Rocstock last June '09.

argosy1.jpg

argosy2.jpg

argosy3.jpg

I have since enhanced it with some more vinyl from Stickershock. Here's some pics:

arg1.jpg

arg2.jpg

arg4.jpg

arg5.jpg

arg6.jpg

Last day to get your entries in! Entry window closes at Midnight EST January 21st!;)
OR whenever I get home from work, whichever is later! So I can post the polls!:p

I see we have a couple more upscales! Awesome! I know there are more out there! Let's see 'em!;)

Last edited:
for this one i'm going to put in my up scale fliskits caution

made out of balsa and flies on d/e motors

cautionx2.jpg

Last edited:
*DING*DING*DING* The entry period has officially been closed! Polls to be posted shortly!

Good luck to all our entrants! May the best rockets win! :D

Which style cherokee D did you use? the older 16.25" body length tube scale or the 18" body tube scale? How tall was your rocket when completed?

i am building a 5 inch all fiberglass (Performance rocketry tubing) based Cherokee for my level 3.

I used the 18" tube dimension and did not reduce the fin area at all. Flies like it on rails. I'm thinking of an L flight this year.

Which style cherokee D did you use? the older 16.25" body length tube scale or the 18" body tube scale? How tall was your rocket when completed?

i am building a 5 inch all fiberglass (Performance rocketry tubing) based Cherokee for my level 3.

Back