January Best Rocket Competition LPR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
This is the official location of The Rocketry Forum Best Rocket Competition. This is a monthly event to show off your "stuff" and find out who has THE BEST ROCKET OF THE MONTH! When entering, make sure you follow the criteria listed below and you will do fine. From the 21st(or there about) until the end of the month we'll be polling to see who should win the Best Rocket Competition.

Whenever I can get appropriate sponsorships for the month there will be 2 contests. One will be strictly LOW POWER(F impulse and below) and the other will be MPR/HPR(G impulse and higher). So double check to make sure you entering in the correct 'power level' thread! Only ONE entry per person per month(no entering BOTH LPR and MPR/HPR in a single given month!). The thread titles will reflect the power level: XXX Best Rocket Competition LPR or XXX Best Rocket Competition MPR/HPR.

Da Rulez

1. Header of picture should include, name, what kit or was it custom, LPR, MPR or HPR. Example: LPR Estes Hijinx..Put this in the 'title' block when posting.
2. A BRIEF description of rocket details. Anything that would make it apparent to somebody that yours is THE BEST.
3. Only ONE entry per month.
4. Please no extended off topic conversations.
5. Rockets made at any period of time may be used.Rocket needs to be in your possession/fleet at the time of the competition!
5A. Rockets entered MUST have at least one successful flight. Not simulated, but real world flying through the sky type..with successful recovery.
6. Rocket may be entered into the current months competition only ONCE! Rocket may be entered into a following months competition if it fits the given category.
7. If there is a monthly specified type of contest (such as red, white and blue themed), you can only enter rockets that are applicable.
8. Entries will be taken first 3 weeks of month and after the 21st of every month the contest closes.
9. The last week of the month we will be polling on who should win in each class. If there are more then seven(7) entries for the month, the entries will be split into multiple polls based on entry sequence into the competition and a run-off will be held with the top vote recipients from each poll. Run off voting period will be 5 days.
10. Winners get bragging rights for a month!

Theme

Easy theme this month: ANYTHING Llama related! Go all out!...Too difficult? Well then, ANYTHING at all! Remember LOW POWER ONLY, F impulse and lower.

So, show us your awesome builds!

Remember detail, details, details! So don't be shy, include extra photos of the little bits that make YOUR model extra special!
If you entry is a kit, let us know who's kit it is!

PRIZE(S)

Our awesome sponsor this month is PemTech! And the goodies up for this month is a swift kick from his favorite Llama!:roll: Actually, it will be a $30 shopping spree on his Llama friendly webstore! :D

So, let's get those entries in!

Last edited:
Alright folks, let's see those Llama-rifick rockets!
As incentive, we'll extend the $30 shopping spree to cover ANY of out LPR kits.
So, get to work!!
*CRACK*

*OUCH*!!! Hey, watch where you fling that whip!

Ok, no entries yet? Come on it is the 4th! I woulda thought the New Years Eve celebration hangovers would be done by now!:roll: So, anyways I will throw my hat in the ring..

I submit to you 'Poindexter's A Klutz' rocket! As you can tell poor ol' Poindexter has a bit of an 'alignment deficiency' going on! That and a little control problem with the paint!:roll:

Anyways, here is my Fliskits Acme Spitfire, a very cool build and actually a very nice flying rocket! Still amazing that something this crazy can actually fly as well as it does!

Acme Spitfire 001.jpg

Acme Spitfire 006.jpg

Acme Spitfire 005.jpg

Acme Spitfire 004.jpg

Acme Spitfire 002.jpg

Sport scale of the Mercury Little Joe 5B rocket. Was used by NASA to test the LES tower during the built up to the Manned Mercury program.

Used BT-70 tubing with some ST-20 tubing for the main body. Estes Mercury capsule was used for the top. I did built up fins with plastic to scale. Used a paper wrap embossed with the indentions to show joints. Also placed holes in adapter section to stimulate the bolt hole recesses. Model flys with B6-4 and C6-5 motors. Made my own United States decals. Had fun researching the paint scheme for this flight. The Fl. Orange does well over the silver. Model stands approximately 18 inches tall.

First flight shown below at a CMASS launch was on a B6-4 on a windy day. The model flew very straight inspite of the wind.

Another try at this competition.

Little Joe5b.jpg

clupLJ.jpg

normal_LJ.jpg

DSC00001.jpg

Hmmmm, the 13th and only 2 entries?:shock: C'mon, lets get some rockets in here! I mean, who wouldn't want a $30 shopping spree at the most Llama friendly website this side of Beta Epsilon?!?!:confused2:

8 days! Let's make something happen! ;)

Oh come on...
With all the cool builds I see posted on TRF and these are the only two we get?
COme on folks, let's make this a bit more competitive.

Last edited:
This is my USS Odyssey. See a partial build thread at https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=83 Lots of close up shots there!

Scott (Rokitflite) did an excellent job designing this kit and it is well worth every penny! I built her over the 3 days I had off for TS Fay in 2008 and spent quite a while finishing it. She's flown once and I added a lot of little details through the use of polystyrene, creative use of decals, and some scratch building to add a small shuttle for missions planet side.

Primary color is testors model masters intermediate blue, with gold, steel, gun metal aluminum, and blue angels blue used for details.

View attachment 15450 View attachment 15451
Beauty Shots

View attachment 15452
Removable landing shuttle

View attachment 15453
1st flight

View attachment 15454
Plus it is the first rocket my son helped me with, OK so he was only like 2 months old at the time, but you gotta start them out early!

Oh come on...

I can't enter and compete against one of my Odyssey kits:D.

Oh come on...

I agree.. Especially for a PEM TECH prize... I need a 3FNC for my collection.... I guess it's time to go take some pictures and submit an entry!

This is my scratch-built 1:90 scale model of the SpaceShipTwo. To my knowledge, it is the only flying model of the craft in the world.

It's 24mm in diameter and around 9" long. The tailcone is cut from an old piece of plastic; the nose cone is an Apogee plastic cone that matched the shape perfectly. Fins were hand-cut balsa.

I painted with spray gloss white and flat black, then applied all the markings by hand to scale. The hardest part, by far, was the giant eye on the underside. There's all sorts of little grebles I had to draw on, from the teeny tiny nose art to the DNA of Flight.

It's flown once on an A10-3. A nice flight to about 300 feet with little roll and a safe recovery on a 6" nylon chute.

SS2.jpg

SS2 belly.jpg

Here's my entry for Jan. my Rokiteflite Fake-wulf. Built bone stock,painted with Tamiya paint thru an airbrush,for the glider, and rattle can silver and red for the booster.This baby has had 2 succsessful flights on B6-2s so far.My favorite glider to date!!!Good luck everyone and keep them coming!!!!:cheers:

fw1 (1) (1224 x 1632).jpg

fw2 (1) (1224 x 1632).jpg

fw3 (1) (1632 x 1224).jpg

Rokitflite kits do not actually contain Kevlar... It is woven llama hair.

i'm going to enter my Odyssey as well. and plan on order another one soon as well for someone who knows who they are havent forgotten you!!!!!

Osyssey2.jpg

Osyssey upper pod.jpg

Osyssey 1.jpg

Last edited:
I am going to enter my SS Cestris from Sirius Rocketry. I really like how this kit looks. The unique nose cone makes it stand out at any launch. It was really easy to build and it flies great!

It has flown about 3 or 4 times from a D12-5 to an E18.

Picture 003a.jpg

Picture 004a.jpg

Picture 005a.jpg

Okay, we have an entry in both divisions from the same person! :) Is that cool , or what?:cool:

Last day to get your entries in! Entry window closes at Midnight EST January 21st!;)
(Or whenever I get home from work, whichever is later. So I can put the polls up!:p)

I simply can't pass up an opportunity to be in the running for a Pem Tech prize. Submitted for everyone's approval - my Fliskits Herc-5. Jim Flis did all of the hard design work, so all I had to do was cut some tubes and glue some thingies together - oh, and sand, the dreadful sanding.

All of the tube ends were sealed/hardened with CA glue. The fins were papered, nose cone and all tube spirals were filled (even the ones inside the tube fins). The rocket was primed and painted in two separate sections (tube-fin section and main body tube/nose cone). The interiors of the large tubes are painted with Rustoleum copper, and the blue and silver are Testors enamel. Decals were then applied and everything was given two coats of Future. First and only launch was with a B6-4, recovery was with a thin mil nylon chute.

Good Luck Everyone!!!

Herc 3.jpg

Herc Front.jpg

Herc Nose.jpg

Herc1.jpg

Herc2.jpg

I simply can't pass up an opportunity to be in the running for a Pem Tech prize. Submitted for everyone's approval - my Fliskits Herc-5. Jim Flis did all of the hard design work, so all I had to do was cut some tubes and glue some thingies together - oh, and sand, the dreadful sanding.

All of the tube ends were sealed/hardened with CA glue. The fins were papered, nose cone and all tube spirals were filled (even the ones inside the tube fins). The rocket was primed and painted in two separate sections (tube-fin section and main body tube/nose cone). The interiors of the large tubes are painted with Rustoleum copper, and the blue and silver are Testors enamel. Decals were then applied and everything was given two coats of Future. First and only launch was with a B6-4, recovery was with a thin mil nylon chute.

Good Luck Everyone!!!

I think that's the BEST paint I've seen on one of these!

Great job!

*DING*DING*DING* The entry period has officially been closed! Polls to be posted shortly!

Good luck to all our entrants! May the best rockets win! :D

Back