SOUTHERN THUNDER 2009

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do we need to pre-order for that or will you have lots o'motors with you? cauz i have no idea what i'll have ready to fly.

I will have most all 38 and 54's. If you want 76mm preordering is the best bet.

Lets call it notice, not preorder.

Something that I offer and most vendors don't , is loaner hardware.

Heres how it works, I have three LOKI 38mm casings available the 38*120 (G motor only), the 38*480 I motors, and the 38*740 J motors. The flyer buys a reload, uses my casing for a small user fee. Standard agreement, you bring it back clean or you loose it you bought it.

If its a cert flight, the casing fee is on the house (NAR/TRA).

User Fees
38*120-$4.00 (Fun flights, the LOKI G's are great)
38*240-$5.00 (L-1 Cert motors, fun flights)
38*740-$6.00 (L- Cert motors, or fun flights)

I supply the igniters and e-matches if needed at $1.00 each.

I support the Sponsorship Program approved by the ATF. If there is no ATF Appeal .... well all the better.

Come by and introduce yourself, I'm looking forward to meeting each and every one of you.

By the way, it's Friday May 15th and the courts are closed, as far as I know the ATF has not filed an appeal. I have every reason to believe the Fat Lady has sung and the announcement from TRA/NAR headquarters is soon to come. Its over.

There is absolutely no published information to support the statement above, it is not fact only a SWAG. It is only a gut feeling, I never thought the ATF would appeal to begin with.

I have been wrong in the past.

David,
I'll put my notice in for Loki 38/240 loads, though I'm not sure how I'll go just yet. I've flown the H144 in the past and liked it, but I'm not sure if I want to go for a slower or more colorful motor yet :)
Reed

If anyone wants to get a particular T-shirt design/size at southern thunder let me know, I'll be having shirts printed soon.

Argh, looks like I'm out on this one. I just found out I have a final exam on the 22nd, and with a 9-hour drive, it's just not gonna work :(
Reed

I was planning to return this year, but, due to a work injury, I'll be having surgery on June 4th. If I'm up to driving by then, we may come down for a day as spectators, and, to visit some friends I've not seen in a few years.

David

Details:
Athletic gray shirts w/ 3-color process artwork, front/back: $15 each, all sizes: S - 3x.
Preordering: Send orders to [email protected]
End of preordering: Wed June 10
Extra shirts will be ordered on top of the pre-orders to hopefully take care of those who didn't bother to pre-order.
Shirts will be at the launch field the morning of Sat June 20.

Southern Thunder Home Page

I'll be bringing my Competitor V. I hope to fly it on an M1200SP Loki 75/6000 motor. Hope to see you all there :dark:

Whitney%2520at%2520High%2520Cotton.jpg

We will be there as both a Vendor and as flyers. Got a couple of skid marks burning a hole in the range box.
;)

HuffPerformance offers loaner hardware as well. We currently have a full set of 29, 38, 54, and 75 mm Aerotech. Most 38 CTI, and a few 54 CTI. All hardware is loaned at 5% of retail cost on a first come, first served basis.

We've got a good many reloads of all sizes in stock, and have more AMW and CTI on the way. We've got a few Rouse-Tech cases that will be for sale, they should be added to the website once delivered.

Plenty of Blue Tube on hand! We have Perfect Flite MAWDs on order. And hopefully our skyangle chutes will be in also.

We also cut custom vinyl decals and stencils. If you would like something delivered to the launch, please let us know!

Anyway - just wanted to make the availability of other brands of loaner hardware known as well.

Call or e-mail with questions/orders. We will be there all 3 days.

Carey Huff
HuffPerformance.com

This will be my last big launch for a while because I'll be in the UASF in late September and I won't be going to LDRS. I was planning on L3, but that's not going to happen anymore. Sooo my planned ST project will be a PR Comp 4 flying on a CTI L1115. It should go over 12k and over mach which will be my highest and fastest flight ever.
Also planned to fly:
Wildman Eagle Claw on a AMW 54/2550 motor
Fire B on some sort of J
Madcow Batroc with a big I or small J motor
Binder Design Bat I200?

If I were to get a K1000 skid for the Eagle Claw, would anyone else be interested in doing a K1000 drag race?

Now for something completely different....
From the fertile and slightly twisted mind of my lovely Trudy comes something that, once viewed, will be urgently needed and deeply desired by all.

I give you......

THE ROCKET COZY!!

rocketcozyDSC_8780s.jpg

This particular version is known as the "Nom Nom" fish, and is displayed on the 3" Screemin' Green Max. Other versions will consist of sock caps (with ear-flaps and balls), snakes, birds and who knows what else.

The Rocket Cozy will be unveiled at Southern Thunder later this month. Any rockets pre-ordered for delivery (Save on shipping charges as well!) at ST2009 will include a free Rocket Cozy and there may be a few for sale to the public. (The price is yet to be set)

So, act now and reserve your very own Rocket Cozy!!

For further enticement yet another flavor of Rocket Cozy has been added to the mix.

Behold, the "Great White North"!

rocketcozysDSC_8794.jpg

Great WHite North on the left and Nom Nom Fish on the right.

*bonus points if anyone can name the characters inferred*
*Double bonus if you can sing the little tune*

Bob and Doug Mackenzie.

Take off you hoser.

Are you sure you want to hear me sing? Are there words to that? I do know this song:

"On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me...a beer."

That's it, no more singing. I make children cry when I sing. So I bring YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-ZvAVcBIrQ

Now hand over them points. They is mine eh.

-Dave

Bob and Doug Mackenzie.

Take off you hoser.

Are you sure you want to hear me sing? Are there words to that? I do know this song:

"On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me...a beer."

That's it, no more singing. I make children cry when I sing. So I bring YouTube:

Now hand over them points. They is mine eh.

-Dave

Oh, dats' a beauty thing, eh?
We'll see aboot gettin' them points in a beer bottle for ya' eh.

[YOUTUBE]GsgVspgy184[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Saddle'm up the wheather report is Sunny all three days for the most beautiful launch site in the country.:)

Look forward to see you all there.

Irv

I was hoping to be able to come down for a day, but, recovery from my surgery is not going as quick as I had hoped. I have very little use of my right arm, and, can't get comfortable for more than a few minutes at a time. So, a three hour car ride is out of the question.

David

I attended Saturday, and this was my third Southern Thunder event. Didn't fly as much as I wanted, instead learned how to spell f-r-u-s-t-r-a-t-i-o-n as I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get my Aerotech Barracuda off the ground (4th time was the charm).

Our local club president and myself were set to drag race two Estes Interceptor-E's on F24's....however both igniters popped at ignition....leaving both models stranded on the pad and providing a good chuckle at our expense. I did manage to launch my Interceptor-E later, on an Aerotech E15, as the last flight of the day on Saturday.

I don't fly high power, but I really enjoyed watching the various flights (and failures) throughout the day....already looking forward to next year and planning on actually staying the whole weekend!

Our local club president and myself were set to drag race two Estes Interceptor-E's on F24's....however both igniters popped at ignition....!

I thought the race was to see who could pop the igniter the fastest... :rolleyes: that was pretty funny, I think it was the RED Interceptor that won...

The crowd was pretty light today, lots of great flights, but still a lot of empty pads, we'll have to talk it up next year!

Me and my boy went Saturday. We didn't fly alot but had a great time. The interceptor drag race was great. It provided some needed relief while waiting to fly.
Great job by both HARA and MC2. Man, it was hot!

st09.jpg

My son and I were there for all of Sat and part of Sun. It sure was hot... :hot: We had a great time and hope to do it again next year. We enjoyed camping out next to the folks from Top Flight Recovery.

Fastest flight - Estes cluster Bomb on an F39
Highest flight - RDS Quasar AMW J370GG 2732'

Had a fair amount of bad luck. Most everything came back at least a little dinged except for my Thrustline Scorpion flying the F12J - at least that one made it unscathed. Everything's repairable and we thankfully got everything back. I understand others weren't so fortunate but I hope the missing turn up eventually. Didn't get a lot of flying in - only 5 flights total. I need to get better prepared for next time.

Well another Southern Thunder has come and gone. As everyone else has said...it was a hot one, but very fun. It seemed like people weren't flying as much this year as last year though.
Anyway as far as our flights...
I started off with my Fire B on a J350 after that we loaded the Wildman Eagle Claw with a AMW K475 for an awesome flight. On Sunday we flew my bother's Binder Design Bat on a I200 for a fantastic flight, but couldn't get my other brother's Madcow Hawk off the ground with a F40:( The grand finale was the Eagle Claw again. This time it went on the incredible KBA L2300. :cool: Honestly I didn't think those big fins would hold up, but they did all the way up to 7536' !!!
We had a good time and enjoyed watching everyone else fly their stuff as well. We have lots of pics and video which I'll get uploaded eventually. I'm surprised others haven't posted much yet either :(

Thanks goes to both clubs and everyone else who put this event together.

We had a good time and enjoyed watching everyone else fly their stuff as well. We have lots of pics and video which I'll get uploaded eventually. I'm surprised others haven't posted much yet either :(

Well, here is part of our contribution.
:D

Here is Trudy holding down the fort while I sweated my....
Well, while I sweated a LOT on the flight line.
It was HOT!:hot:

Troodyandcozys_8836.jpg

If you look closely you will notice a couple of new Cozys: "The Blue Spiral of Impending Discomfort" on the right and "The Pox" on the left.

First off, on day one we had a couple of ne'er-do-wells lazing around our tent for a bit. We finally had to throw things at them to get then to go away.
Anybody know who they are?
;)

nardowells_8815.jpg

We have some sad news for everyone, it seems the Nom Nom Fish and the Great White North have found a new home. But their new owner looks happy!
MattBond_8806.jpg

FInally got a chance to run a Max-Q test on the King Kraken. The matter of the determining largest motor it can fly on has yet to be resolved, so ST2009 gave me my chance to try out some larger motors.

Here she is on the pad stuffed with an Pro38 I170 Tame Tiger.
DKKonpad_8816.jpg

Terrible lift-off picture!
KKonI170_8827.jpg

ANd another cruddy picture of the flight.
KKonI170_8828.jpg

Why they call this propellant Tamed Tiger, I don't know, cause' it Rocks! How I got two shots of it I am not sure, because all I saw was a smoke trail and a tiny flicker in the sky.

She came down in the same county, I think...
Even with a 10 second delay the 28" chute carried it all the way off the flight field, across the bean field, across the highway and across another bean field.

It was a LONG hot walk back.
BIGfield_8831.jpg

More to follow...
:D

This was the first public appearance of the LPR version of the HMAS Bonestell.
LPRbonestellpad_8837.jpg

There will a continuous griping about the quality of the pictures I took. It appears I had the camera on the wrong setting and none of the flight pics came out sharp.
:mad:

Crummy picture of a great maiden lift off on a D12-3.
lprbonestelllaunch_8857.jpg

It was a beautiful, smooth flight with just a hint of wind-cocking.
lprbonestellflight_8858.jpg

lprbonestellflight_8860.jpg

Alas, things went bad, quickly. At ejection the shock cord pulled free and the body tumbled to the ground breaking off a wing tip.
:shock:

It will be an easy fix but it was a lovely flight up till then.

Last edited:
Wow was it ever hot out there!!
Any chance on getting this event moved to a cooler month, say February Martin Luther King weekend?!?! I mean, I like watching things go woosh, but we must have all lost 5lbs in water weight!! :eek:

Trudy, who was Layne's very damp booth/(no)tech support that weekend

OK, Layne, fess up! When were you going to tell us about the upscale Bonestall? See it is right there on the table next to the LPR version..More info please! :)

nardowells_8815.jpg

OK, Layne, fess up! When were you going to tell us about the upscale Bonestall? See it is right there on the table next to the LPR version..More info please! :):neener:

Back