Parachute Gore Program Update

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdotmatrix

Reaction score
I am making my own parachutes which started with an exhaustive search for anything DIY rocket parachutes when I came across Scott Bryce's Spherical Parachute Pattern (gore generator).

https://scottbryce.com/parachute/spherical_parachute.html

It is a must tool that can generate templates for hemispherical or semi-spherical gores.

It had a limitation that caused an adobe error when you tried to print or generate a gore larger than, I guess your computer could display.

I wrote Scott and he updated his program to utilize the following paper sizes:

8 1/2 x 11 (portrait)
8 1/2 x 14
11 x 17
Multiple 8 1/2 x 11 pages (landscape)
Multiple 8 1/2 x 14 pages (landscape)
Multiple 11 x 17 pages (landscape)

This update gives you the ability to create the gore, email it to yourself,then take the 11x17 to KINKOS and have it printed on the respective full size paper.

Thanks to Scott Bryce for his work tonight!

3.30.11: The images were created with Scotts Program with the following: 23", 25%, 6gore, 2" spill

DSC03852.jpg

DSC03850.jpg

DSC03853.jpg

DSC03854.jpg

Last edited:
I've written a MATLAB program that generates patterns for hemispherical parachutes. You can take the output and drop it into AutoCAD for a printout or cut on a laser cutter.

Edward

I've written a MATLAB program that generates patterns for hemispherical parachutes. You can take the output and drop it into AutoCAD for a printout or cut on a laser cutter.

Edward
Share the wealth Eddie! Be famous

Most people don't have MATLAB, which is why I don't generally share it. Also, it is a more expensive program unless you have a reason to use it. Same with AutoCAD (still using AutoCAD 2000 over AutoCAD 2011 because 2011 is so bloated)

Edward

Most people don't have MATLAB, which is why I don't generally share it. Also, it is a more expensive program unless you have a reason to use it. Same with AutoCAD (still using AutoCAD 2000 over AutoCAD 2011 because 2011 is so bloated)

Edward

well gee thanks fer nuttin Danny!!!!:eyepop:

It isn't very hard to derive a hemispherical pattern. A simple Excel sheet will do, just not as automated. There is no such thing as a free lunch, you are welcome.

Edward

you can do the same thing with XCELL, and any dxf program.

I am making my own parachutes which started with an exhaustive search for anything DIY rocket parachutes when I came across Scott Bryce's Spherical Parachute Pattern (gore generator).

https://scottbryce.com/parachute/spherical_parachute.html

It is a must tool that can generate templates for hemispherical or semi-spherical gores.

It had a limitation that caused an adobe error when you tried to print or generate a gore larger than, I guess your computer could display.

I wrote Scott and he updated his program to utilize the following paper sizes:

8 1/2 x 11 (portrait)
8 1/2 x 14
11 x 17
Multiple 8 1/2 x 11 pages (landscape)
Multiple 8 1/2 x 14 pages (landscape)
Multiple 11 x 17 pages (landscape)

This update gives you the ability to create the gore, email it to yourself,then take the 11x17 to KINKOS and have it printed on the respective full size paper.

Thanks to Scott Bryce for his work tonight!

3.30.11: The images were created with Scotts Program with the following: 23", 25%, 6gore, 2" spill

View attachment 44619

View attachment 44620

View attachment 44621

View attachment 44622
Feb.2021. I am glad these posts are still around. I still have the parachute gores for making these parachutes now that I am getting back into rocketry! The gore generator link still works. Cheers!

Back