Estes - Vagabond (#3217) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Initiator001

Reaction score
I finished building one of the new Estes Vagabond kits (#3217). I like the size and appearance of this kit, it somewhat reminds me of the Renegade kit (#1271).

This is not the first kit named 'Vagabond' by Estes. Estes had a Vagabond Starter Set (#1423) several years ago with a completely different rocket (That rocket looked like a Centuri Astro-1 with a different paint scheme). The new Vagabond uses the same font for the decal name as the earlier Vagabond kit.

Estes Vagabond Kit # 3217.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful work. Simple lines and powerful appearance. I'm firm in my favoritism of good ol' 3FNC.:D

My new Estes Vagabond kit had it's first flight at the SCRA launch in Los Angeles on June 25th.

An Estes D12-5 propelled the model into the air.

SCRA 06-25-11-10 Estes Vagabond rocket awaiting launch.jpg

Scra 06-25-11-11 Ignition of D12-5 motor in Estes Vagabond model.jpg

SCRA 06-25-11-12 Estes Vagabond climbing above the trees.jpg

SCRA 06-25-11-13 Estes Vagabond climbing away.jpg

SCRA 06-25-11-14 Estes Vagabond still climbing.jpg

Beautiful! Cool rocket; great flight pics. I finished my Vagabond a week ago. Can't wait to see it fly. Just waiting for the opportunity to launch.

In progress.......................

SamXSmooth6-28-2011020.jpg

Great looking rocket and a nice flight! Those rocket eating trees in the background look scary, though...

.........completed 7-3......I'm content, but not happy with the result; may have to do another one....ahhh..what a shame:wink:

VAGABONDWHITEMISSILE7-3-2011014.jpg

Looks good to me! I like the lines of it. I may have to pick one up for myself.

I finished building one of the new Estes Vagabond kits (#3217). I like the size and appearance of this kit, it somewhat reminds me of the Renegade kit (#1271).

This is not the first kit named 'Vagabond' by Estes. Estes had a Vagabond Starter Set (#1423) several years ago with a completely different rocket (That rocket looked like a Centuri Astro-1 with a different paint scheme). The new Vagabond uses the same font for the decal name as the earlier Vagabond kit.
Looks great! I just finished one about a month ago, but haven't had a chance to fly it yet.

Estes Vagabond - my first modified kit. Went with plywood centering rings, drilled for kevlar shock cord. Also added Top Flite Recovery X type parachute.
Yet to fly, but stocked up with D5's and E6's.

IMG_2478_edited-1.jpg

Estes Vagabond - my first modified kit. Went with plywood centering rings, drilled for kevlar shock cord. Also added Top Flite Recovery X type parachute.
Yet to fly, but stocked up with D5's and E6's.

IMG_2478_edited-1.jpg

Wow. Looks sharp!

I wouldn't use a (Quest?) D5 motor in this rocket. The Vagabond is too heavy for that motor.

An E6 would be a cool flight but a long walk. ;)

God I wish I took pics of mine before the accident. AUGH!

Lets see....the bottom would be ford blue, rest high gloss snow white, and instead of the decals the official "
images
" on it.

The fins were tabbed in, and a finless booster stage added.

It was spectacular......:cry:

I also built one stock, and then immediately wanted to build more. I've got a few more ideas for this bird.

6763327185_1d5b52d9b6_z.jpg

Post Copied to Gallery with Permission

I liked the stock scheme but decided to add my own touch:

A fade to yellow fluorecent and overcoating with metallic clear before decals and a final clear coat.

View attachment 69665

View attachment 69666

View attachment 69667

I miss her greatly. I plan to rebuild when my acrylic airbrushing skills get good enough to replicate the original lacquer/fluorescent result.

Marc

Post copied to gallery with permission

Attachments

• Vagabond 00020.jpg
    Vagabond 00020.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 112
  • Vagabond 00024.jpg
    Vagabond 00024.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 117
  • Vagabond straight off the pad.jpg
    Vagabond straight off the pad.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 94
Jiffy, that is AWESOME looking....love the missle-like appearance. And the small checkers really give it flavor..well done!

People are having fun with these Vagabonds. They all look darn good. I like the variety.

Is this rocket the new Big Daddy or 'Bertha?

I had the same idea as DizWolf, built one for my wife Sharon, then decided I had to have one too. Made a mistake though, it was NOT a good idea to use a 29mm MMT in this rocket. Here are the original versions of these two great rockets:
IMG_5232.jpg

The one on the right was built with the 29mm MMT, and after several flights with different motors, and several rebuilds due to damage from those flights, I made a 24/29 adapter for it and fly it on E9-6's, which is a great motor for this rocket. The forth or fifth rebuild (can't remember now) decided me to rename this poor, patched up rocket:
115.jpg

Last edited:
I asked my six year old what colors we should paint it. It looks like he has been on TRF and saw your kit Marc!

This was my first time papering fins. Happy the way it came out. I can not wait to reach up into the sky with it! 104_1303.jpg

EstesVagabondpre-flight.jpg

EstesVagabondlift-off.jpg

I just went with the stock look, but I love the paint variations the others have posted. Gets me thinkin'.:wink:

Hey Fishhead,
Beautiful build and nice photos. The Vagabond is just one sweet rocket.

Back