-

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is sick!!! So is it like an all-in-one? What I mean is: No clear coat needed?

Blazing Black is one of the most popular flavors in the lacquer series of paints. The lacquer series of paints make everyone look like a pro painter.

Blazing Black 3oz. Aerosol LacquerTodays hottest metallic colors Brilliant Finish in one easy coat Dries in 20 minutes Durable, works on most surfaces

TESTORS in stock at Hangar 11

www.hangar11.com

The Testors new Lacquers are excellent spray paints, expensive for those little rattle cans but the paint is awesome, goes on smooth and in one shot. I'm using the Purple-Licious and Lime Ice for my Leading Edge Phantom build. I've used other colors as well. They also have a clear coat called "Wet Look Clear" to give some extra protection and good if you're using decals to protect them too. They also dry very quickly..

Yeah, these paints lay down nicely. I've used Inca Gold and Lime Ice with great results.

Thanks.

They need to come out with a Krylon sized can and charge half the price though. I made two trips to the LHS and bought 5 cans of different colors painting rockets the last few days and at $5/ can it's not cheap.

ltesr1832.jpg

If you go basic -- white, red, black, the Rustoleum lacquers are amazing. "Krylon sized", and available many places for ~ $5. I buy them at 40% off at Hobby Lobby.

Here is a bashed StormCaster I did with them. The silver on the nose cone is Testors Lacquer, although I could have used any paint. And, I've had no problems mixing Testors, Model Masters, and Rustoleum lacquers (using the white Rustoleum under other colors from the Testors and Model Masters).

If you go basic -- white, red, black, the Rustoleum lacquers are amazing. "Krylon sized", and available many places for ~ $5. I buy them at 40% off at Hobby Lobby.

Here is a bashed StormCaster I did with them. The silver on the nose cone is Testors Lacquer, although I could have used any paint. And, I've had no problems mixing Testors, Model Masters, and Rustoleum lacquers (using the white Rustoleum under other colors from the Testors and Model Masters).

Are you sure the Rustoleum is a lacquer? All the ones I've seen are enamels. Do they have a special series of lacquers?

Look at the instructions. "Recoat any time" is lacquer. "Recoat within an hour or after 24" is enamel.

I've used the Rustoleum lacquers as well. Wally World has black and white, but I haven't seen red yet. They are not quite as forgiving as the Testors or Duplicolor lacquers, but the price can't be beat. Especially since black and white are two of my most used colors.

Most of the Rustoleum brand paints carried by retailers such as Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. are enamels. They do have a lacquer series but the colors are very limited. They also have a spray epoxy but I don't know much about it. Our store doesn't carry it except on a special order basis. I do know that once the enamel is completely cured it is fuel proof as in nitro and alcohol used in R/C models. For this reason I am assuming it is acrylic enamel rather then alkyd enamel.

Are you sure the Rustoleum is a lacquer? All the ones I've seen are enamels. Do they have a special series of lacquers?

Look at the instructions. "Recoat any time" is lacquer. "Recoat within an hour or after 24" is enamel.

Yes, these are clearly marked Lacquer. Only available in red, white, and black. I have seen them in just a few stores, but since thet are carried by Hobby Lobby, you can use a 40% off coupon ($3.00 plus tax). I just bought another can tonight. Here is link to their site:

https://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=109

And as I mentioned, I've used the Testors and Model Masters lacquers over the Rustoleum white lacquer. You'd wrinkle any enamel with a lacquer overcoat.

Someone else does sell large cans of lacquer, also, maybe Valspar? I've seen it at Lowes or Home Depot, I believe.

Last edited:
I say I am a gonna buy 2 cans of that Testors Blazing Black, that looks soooo
good I am a gonna spray it on my X-15! :point:

Got a very nice purple and pink metallic flaked paints by Testors for one of my daughter's rockets.

It looked great, before I ruined it. :mad: She put a bunch of stickers on the rocket that weren't staying down well on the curve of the tube so I thought I'd put a couple of really thin applications of clear coat to help hold the stickers. Apparently it wasn't thin enough and the beautiful paint, for lack of a better term, smeared like it was dissolving. And I had let it dry for over a week before trying. :(

went to HL today and Blazing Black was the ONLY colr they didnt have. noticed some Cherry stuff that looked black till it gets in the sun then has a DEEP Cherry color to it.
proabably going to stick with Blazing Black but will re-look at the cherry stuff.

If you need to paint a larger rocket you might want to look at the Rustoleum Midnight Black. It's one of their Metallics line and borders on being a true metal flake.

I typically paint my MPR/HPR birds fluorescent pink for visibility and do the trim in Rusto Midnight Black for contrast. After all the color coats are laid down if shoot a couple of coats of Crystal Clear enamel for a glass-like texture.

That stuff looks awesome!! Gonna have to try it out if I can find it around here.

These are very nice paints ,as I used them on my G-Force (green,gold and black)

Another option are the color match line from Duplicolor.These paints are acrylic lacquer (dries & cures very fast and very durable) and come in several nice colors some with candy and flake.The cans are 227 grams versus the usual 312 grams and are about $12 bucks up here in Canada ,so prices in the US may be less.
Use Duplicolor primer first.

Cheers

Paul t

These are very nice paints ,as I used them on my G-Force (green,gold and black)

Another option are the color match line from Duplicolor.These paints are acrylic lacquer (dries & cures very fast and very durable) and come in several nice colors some with candy and flake.The cans are 227 grams versus the usual 312 grams and are about $12 bucks up here in Canada ,so prices in the US may be less.
Use Duplicolor primer first.

Cheers

Paul t

I picked up a can of Duplicolor Green with metal flake from Canadian Tire, but I didn't notice a metallic black. I am doing my Super DX in metallic black and I have some custom vinyl from stickershock that just arrived.

Where else do you nab Duplicolor metal flake from up here in Canada Paul?

This stuff works and looks great. Though these small cans don't go very far (I used 2 cans on this 2.6 " 50 " long rocket) I am pleased by the results. The black metal flake color looks great too.

That does look awesome! You did a great job! I've used Testor's, but never that color. Did you have any special prep work to do before you sprayed the color? You definitely made the two cans go the distance...

Thanks.
Testors calls these metallic lacquers "one coat". I put on one light coat waited a few days then put a heavy 2nd coat to get the wet look. Plus I had primered and sanded it pretty smooth prior to applying the black.

I have also used the Revving Red and Diamond Dust colors in the same paint and liked them too, but they didn't end up quite as glossy as the black. The lacquer seems to spray on much better than the Testors enamel rattle cans.

They need to come out with a Krylon sized can and charge half the price though. I made two trips to the LHS and bought 5 cans of different colors painting rockets the last few days and at $5/ can it's not cheap.

ltesr1832.jpg

A lot of times when I paint my rockets I'll throw down a base coat ..say white and then use Testor's for the accent colors.

It was rude of me not mention in my post above how nice a finish you got on your bird at the beginning of the thread.

Shiny! You've obviously mastered the steady and consistent spray technique for metallics. They tend to be somewhat unforgiving if you lose focus while laying down a coat. Good job.

Last edited:
I picked up a can of Duplicolor Green with metal flake from Canadian Tire, but I didn't notice a metallic black. I am doing my Super DX in metallic black and I have some custom vinyl from stickershock that just arrived.

Where else do you nab Duplicolor metal flake from up here in Canada Paul?

The only place I really ever looked was Ukranian Wheel (aka Canadian Tire)but I think " Part Source" might have it , as a buddy of mine bought some gray filler primer made by Duplicolor from there.I heard they (Part Source) is owned by Canadian Tire (aka Ukranian Wheel)

I`m not sure if they make a metal flake black ,although they do have some nice metalics :storm gray ,gun metal ,graphite gray (the ones I have used) but they have others that may be darker.

If you have a hobby shop and you can`t find what you need ,then by all means check out the Testes (aka Testors) line mentioned above.....great stuff but a little pricey.I must say though ,I`ve always liked using Testors spray paint ,esspecially their FS millitary colours and enamels.

HTH

Paul T

Ukranian Wheel haha! Yeah I've used Testors on nearly every rocket I've built, but it's the price that kills me. My next two paint jobs are for a Super DX 3 and a stretched Richter Recker, so I'm going to need lots of paint.

Ukranian Wheel haha! Yeah I've used Testors on nearly every rocket I've built, but it's the price that kills me. My next two paint jobs are for a Super DX 3 and a stretched Richter Recker, so I'm going to need lots of paint.

Super DX-3....sweet rocket.Did my level 1 with that bast@$# and wow ,what a great flier !

Check out CT and look in the automotive section.Hope you find a dark enough metalic gray to siut your needs.

How much of the rocket are you painting black ?

Paul T

The whole shebang is going to be black and the vinyl I got from stickershock are black as well with green foreground. Do I need a particular shade of grey to get a good black coat on, or is it just how long/how many coats I'll need that will determine that.

The Richter Recker is going to be a Roughriders rocket, solid metallic green across the rocket (might do the fins white, I'm not 100% sure).

I`m not sure if Color match will be dark enough.Check out RONA (if you have one) they have a good mixed bag of paint manufacturereserserers (you know what I mean) ,I think Rustoleum ? makes a black metal flake paint ,in fact I know they do.

Found an old can,it`s called Rust-oleum Metallic -Black Night #242 629 .

Get a can and try it out ,it should be what you need ,and it enamel.

Cheers

Paul t

Found an old can,it`s called Rust-oleum Metallic -Black Night #242 629 .

Thanks Paul, I gotta go get some landscaping ties from Rona anyways, easy way to convince the wife to go there :)

Speaking of wife, I finished body filling the top half of the Recker last night, got it sanded and cleaned and convinced my wife to spray the first coat of Duplicolor filler primer. Seems to go on great!

Thanks Paul, I gotta go get some landscaping ties from Rona anyways, easy way to convince the wife to go there :)

Speaking of wife, I finished body filling the top half of the Recker last night, got it sanded and cleaned and convinced my wife to spray the first coat of Duplicolor filler primer. Seems to go on great!

It(Duplicolor primer) does go on great and in many weather conditions ,sandable in a half hour in the proper conditions.
I used it under the testors Lacquer we are talking about in this thread and it worked out very nicely.

Paul t

I've used both and would put Rustoleum Metallic Enamel Primer+Paint in Carbon Mist right up there with Blazing Black. I squeezed the trigger 3 times for a couple seconds (1 coat) for this NC.

cmist2.jpg

cmist3.jpg

Back