FLISKITS 8th Anniversary Launch with CMASS on September 18

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobkrech

Reaction score
"Let them eat cake" says Jim Flis to celebrate the 8th anniversary of FLISKITS on September 18 at Woodsom Farm Park, 222 Lions Mouth Rd, Amesbury, Massachusetts‎. https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&so....959148&spn=0.02636,0.076818&t=h&z=14&iwloc=B

Jim's renting the field and supplying the cake which goes fabulously with the traditional CMASS 2 dogs and a soda lunch so come one, come all and enjoy the free launch courtesy of Fliskits https://www.fliskits.com

Launch runs from 10:30 AM to 4:30 PM. Setup at 9:30.

For those interested, breakfast before the launch is at the Whistling Kettle, 5 Macy St. (Rt. 110), Amesbury, MA at 8:30 AM https://www.merchantcircle.com/business/The.Whistling.Kettle.978-388-5250/map and dinner after the launch is ~5:15 PM at Firehouse BBQ, 37 Friend St., Amesbury, MA 01913 https://www.yelp.com/map/firehouse-bbq-amesbury

Why so much detail? The full CMASS website https://www.cmass.org/index.php is currently down for some unscheduled maintenance so we don't want anyone to miss this FLISKITS CMASS extravaganza this weekend. The front page however will carry the latest launch status dates.

Bob

Preparations for the upscale Tres launch are going well. Weather is looking very good at this point :)

Documentation for the two new kits is now in and we plan on kitting them on Friday. If you check our web site you will see that the two new kits (Bull's Eye and Mystic) are available NOW for pre order :)

Anniversary range box stickers are ready to be picked up. Still getting models repaired so that *i* have something to fly and I am finalizing the fun contests we'll do during the day at our launch.

Should be a great day!

I will be there ready to rock and roll.

I have 4 flights planned for Saturday. Three of them are dedicated to the men and women who died on 9/11. The 4th flight, which will probably be first thing in the morning, is for the 8th anniversery of Fliskits.

The flights planned are:

"El Destructo" on a Pro X G115-9 White Thunder

Black Brant II on a Aerotech H123-10W

I-ROC on a Aerotech I161-6W (test flight for the repairs made after the spectacular recovery back in April)

My Fliskits Shadowlord on a D12-5. Happy birthday Flistkits!

That sounds like pretty cool launch day. Wish I could be there. But instead, in Minnesota we will celebrate on the 25th with a Deuces Wild Drag Race, Tres Drag Race and a Deuces Wild Beauty Contest.

Happy anniversary, Jim. Save me a piece of cake... it should keep until NARAM 53, right?

That sounds like pretty cool launch day. Wish I could be there. But instead, in Minnesota we will celebrate on the 25th with a Deuces Wild Drag Race, Tres Drag Race and a Deuces Wild Beauty Contest.

Happy anniversary, Jim. Save me a piece of cake... it should keep until NARAM 53, right?

ohhhh, pictures! PICTURES! :)

Kathy and I will be kitting the new kits tomorrow as well as picking up the cake. Looks like we're all set on the upscale Tres launch and the weather is going to be picture perfect!

Anyone attending who wants a FlisKits part or accessory should send me an email. I typically only bring our kits, but will pack any special order you want for delivery.

Also, we will have a full inventory of micromaxx kits and motors as well as t-shirts and such. Oh... ...and TWO new kits too!

Now to git back to work! :)

jim

Last edited:
Jim, is the upscale Tres the same Carl Tulanko one that flew at Whitakers years ago? Regardless, good luck with the flight!

Have a great time this weekend. I get to re-engage the rocketry hobby for the first time in years again this weekend. I'll be thinking about the CMASS group and all the good old times flying FlisKits rockets!

Jim, is the upscale Tres the same Carl Tulanko one that flew at Whitakers years ago? Regardless, good luck with the flight!

Have a great time this weekend. I get to re-engage the rocketry hobby for the first time in years again this weekend. I'll be thinking about the CMASS group and all the good old times flying FlisKits rockets!

Yep, it's Carl's Tres :) Carl passed that (and the 38mm Deuce) on to me for display purposes (and to free up his storage space no doubt LOL) and I thought it would be a hoot to get the Tres into the air for our anniversary. I checked with Carl and we got the green light and Boris Katan is doing the honors of getting her into the air.

Going to be a great day!

Hi, I have an Upscale Deuce ready for its maiden voyage tomorrow. It is a 3 in diameter rocket 41 inches long, and OpenRocket projects 600-800 ft. It will fly on two Cessaroni 29mm G88 . I will have to pass my L1 earlier in the day to launch (good incentive).

Curtis

Last edited:
Well, we now have plenty of Bull's Eye and Mystic kits for the launch tomorrow :)

We've also received many orders for parts and accessories to be delivered at the launch. If you have something you need, send us an email and we'll bring it along. Otherwise all we will have in stock are kits.

Also, I picked up the cake :) Marble with butter cream frosting and **FUDGE** middle mmmmm

Here's what yer missing if you miss this launch!

DSC09437.JPG

Well...

...All I can say is that I am supremely happy with this day (and I haven't even done the accounting yet! LOL). Everything went without a hitch. New kits all ready, everything I needed for the launch packed early (the night before even!). Great weather and large crowds of rocketeers, friends and family. A beautiful and awe-inspiring launch of the upscale 38mm Tres, built by Carl Tulanko, launched by Boris Katan and sponsored by both Boris and FlisKits. That, followed by Boris launching his Thunderbird too.

Too many FlisKits kits in the air to count!

Oh, and there was cake. OH! the cake... :D

Yep. I'm feeling good about this day. Here are some pix. I will try to get my album up this weekend. If you missed it, you missed a good'un...

Pix:
  • Showing off the 2-stage Praetor combo. This thing turned in a BEAUTIFUL flight!
  • Our first raffle winners (we had 6 winners in all - 1 every hour)
  • Preator away!
  • Got to see that Stingray (with the diamond plate) in person! kewl!
  • Spectacular. Simply spectacular.

DSC09452.JPG

DSC09454.JPG

DSC09467.JPG

DSC09487.JPG

DSC09537.JPG

What a great launch. I spent most of my flying time to try to win the fliskits fly off, but it was a battle! Towards the end, I was flying two rockets at a time, one of them on the pad and another just prepping. A funny thing happened. My Rhino with a C6-3 was on pad 10, and I was hooking prepping my Triskelion on pad 2. Pad 10 was launched, and just after I clipped the clips onto the Tri's igniters, my Rhino lands on the inner circle flags next to pad two. I immediately grabbed the Rhino and went to reload. When 4pm came, I lost by one rocket.

It was a pleasure to see Carl Tulanko's upscale Tres fly again. There was a couple minor issues with the launch. There was a mis comunnication on who had the motor casings, but that was quickly resolved when Robert DeHate and I lent a 3 grain case. One more issue was the retainer rings for the motors did not arrive, so Borris asked the expert on friction fitting for help installing the motors. Was not the idea situation for FF but all three motors stayed with the rocket :).

Hotel Express was flown twice. First Flight was with a Pro24 6grain G117 White motor. This was one of the motors I wanted to try out asap back when I bought my Pro24 motor. I was pleased with the performance of the motor, had plenty of fire and smoke. The second flight was with an Aerotech G75-10J. The rocket veered off course shortly after takeoff and it landed just on the other side of someone's fence. When I went to get the rocket, there was someone was in the yard, and he handed me my rocket back :)

My Renegade also logged in another flight. One of the two A10's in the booster failed to light, and the one that did light fired before the D12-0 did. The rocket had an interesting lift off but the rest of the flight was good.

Well, I flew my Frick N' Frack once and my Cougar 660 three times today....at a launch on the other side of the country. I also got to see an Acme Spitfire and a Deuce fly for the first time. The Cougar 660, carrying an Apogee Altimeter One, was used to set the 1/4A and 1/2A Blue Mountain Rocketeers club records and SUBSTANTIALLY raise the A altitude record. If the weather forecast tomorrow is wrong I'll use it tomorrow to try reset the A streamer duration record and try the supplied competition streamer for the first time.

I'm glad the anniversary went well.

Last edited:
Well, I flew my Frick N' Frack once and my Cougar 660 three times today....at a launch on the other side of the country. I also got to see an Acme Spitfire and a Deuce fly for the first time. The Cougar 660, carrying an Apogee Altimeter One, was used to set the 1/4A and 1/2A Blue Mountain Rocketeers club records and SUBSTANTIALLY raise the A altitude record. If the weather forecast tomorrow is wrong I'll use it tomorrow to try reset the A streamer duration record and try the supplied competition streamer for the first time.

I'm glad the anniversary went well.

Congratulations on the records! :)

What'd'ya think of the Frick-n-Frack flight?? That rocket has become our club defacto drag race rocket... LOL

Since SARA (Southern Arizona Rocketry Association) had its monthly launch yesterday at the same time as the FLISKITS 8th Anniversary Launch I decided to fly my 38 mm Duece. I used the only pair of matched engines I had on hand, a pair of I357 blue thunder reloads. There was about a 1/2 sec delay in the second engine lighting which made for an interesting flight. It whistled like crazy. The video was taken by my son and is in portrait aspect in order to keep up with the launch (I do not have the software to rotate it yet). Happy birthday FLISKITS!

https://vimeo.com/15086778

IMG_1160.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1159.jpg
    IMG_1159.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 0
Great weather, mostly sunny, not too hot, and light winds. Over 200 folks came over the course of the 6 hour launch, making this the best attended CMASS launch in several years. 362 total flights, on average better than one a minute. Lots of FLISKITS flights, at least 3 L1 certs, lots of high power, and a very impressive launch of Carl Tulanko's upscale TRES by Boris Katan. A perfect liftoff and impressive recovery. Jim out did his past cakes with an outrageously good vanilla chocolate swirl cake. Sinfully good, and guaranteed to put on 1 pound per slice.

A great time was had by everyone.

Bob

Yes, an awesome day (I successfully completed my L1 cert)!!! In addition to all the wonderfulness already mentioned, there were also lots of families with kids launching, and a bunch of the town soccer player families meandered up to watch.

Shown here are a spinning cluster by Boris Katan, a "sort of" Upscale Deuce of mine, on 2xG80 smokey sam, and the Upscale Tres mentioned in the thread (which was totally awesome), and evidence of the yummy Fliskits cake.

2010 09 18 CMASS L1 Certification 050_crop.jpg

2010 09 18 CMASS L1 Certification 158_crop.jpg

2010 09 18 CMASS L1 Certification 211_crop.jpg

2010 09 18 CMASS L1 Certification 212_crop.jpg

2010 09 18 CMASS L1 Certification 106_crop.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, that spinning, cluster saucer of Boris' is a sight to behold. I've never seen anything even remotely like it and I've seen a lot over the years LOL

I am SO thrilled that everyone had a good time.

Nearly done with my photo album. Will let folks know when it goes up.

It was a great day! Great weather, Matt, his college roommate Nick and I had blast! Thanks too all!

Thank you Jim for sponcoring the launch.

Here is a video from the keychain that was attached to my Dynastar Grappler you get a good shot of the whole crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-OAlFubiBg

Well I wont forget going to my first CMass launch and it was my first event launch. I had a BLAST. I got to meet Jim Flis.I got to launch my first Fliskit at Fliskits Birthday party.Met some very nice people. I flew my Stormcaster on a D12-5.It went up there pretty good and caught the wind and ended up in back in the marsh area.My bro and I headed over and as we were looking for it a little boy comes up to me. He looks up with my rocket in his hands and says,Hey Mister,this your rocket.Too Cool.He and his mom had been out there awhile searching for one of thier rockets.So my bro and I helped in the search and my bro ended up finding it all the way in back of the marsh area. So cool to see the smile on the boys face when he got his rocket back.I was just thrilled watching the HPRs. HOLLY MOLLY!!!!! Those puppies just tear it up!!I honestly cannt put it in words how I felt seeing them for the first time.WICKED :y::y::y: Seeing all the dif built and launched Fliskits was sweet. I got a few pics, Ill get em posted tomorow.Anywhoo-My bro and myself had a great time. Thanks to all who made this day .Scotty Dog :cheers:

Congratulations on the records! :)

What'd'ya think of the Frick-n-Frack flight?? That rocket has become our club defacto drag race rocket... LOL

Thanks...

I love flying the Frick-n-Frack and from the noises coming from the crowd the onlookers loved it, too. The only other thing I flew that got "ooooh" from the crowd was my Quest Super Bird on one of their looooooonnnng (4.6s) burning D5-6's.

This particular Frick-n-Frack flight was C to C. My sustainer spins almost as fast as my Gyroc on the way down, yet doesn't seem to be too crazy going up. Great fun!

Our launch (https://www.bmr615.org/rolling_thunder.htm) was rained/blown out today, but yesterday was gorgeous. However it sounds like the CMASS folks had even more fun. We had "only" 220 flights and two L1 certs.

Last edited:
O.K. ScottyDog! Now I can put a face to the name. There's more CMASS launches upcoming so don't be a stranger.

Had a reasonably good day. Except I lost one of my favorites:( Main chute came out WAY to high.... drag separation maybe?

Then I went for a romp through the swamp trying to find it. Got very wet, rather cold, and a few leeches. yuk.

Then it was tough chasing down rockets in bare feet. Oh well make a note to pack spare pants next time.

See ya in October.

O.K. ScottyDog! Now I can put a face to the name. There's more CMASS launches upcoming so don't be a stranger.

Had a reasonably good day. Except I lost one of my favorites:( Main chute came out WAY to high.... drag separation maybe?

Then I went for a romp through the swamp trying to find it. Got very wet, rather cold, and a few leeches. yuk.

Then it was tough chasing down rockets in bare feet. Oh well make a note to pack spare pants next time.

See ya in October.

You must have been the guy I see standing there with WET shoes in hand and soaking wet from the waist down???The wife wants to go to the next one. I told her I should wear a name tag so as I can hook up with people from TRF. As I said ,I took a trip to the marsh also. The wind did pick up some in afternoon.I guess thats why they have a thing called a "Spillhole" Im learning :bangpan: Scotty Dog

Last edited:
Back