SCALE - Nike Smoke Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
My first foray into scale rocket as a BAR was a Nike Smoke. It was the choice because I was privileged to be asked to beta test the then new offering from InFlight.

The original build thread is in the archive: https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=47397

The thread does not mention it, but I think I entered the rocket in an informal scale contest my club had at its inaugural outing. I think it placed. In any event, I can guarentee that it flew very well indeed.

The photo albums are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/collections/72157607443384287/

NS-decal-1.jpg

NS-decal-2.jpg

NS-flt-2a.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my Nike Smoke made up from the three piece nose cone and fin can from the Quest website. This is one sturdy rocket.

Check out the front end of the body tube from the last flight.
That's some of the soot left from a German made B6-4 Quest engine.
It wiped right off with a damp paper towel.

The Nike Smoke build thread is on my blog at:
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com

Nike Smoke 010_WEB.jpg

Nike Smoke 012_WEB.jpg

Nike Smoke 013_WEB.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nike Booster Sounding Rockets has been one of my main Scale subject prototype series.
The Nike Smoke has a permanent place in my heart as one of those Gotta have models from Centuri, then Quest.
Scratch building in the micro maxx Scales from minimum diameter up to BT-5 the Nike smoke makes a Great flight testing model.
Below are some of the several nike smokes I've built and am still currently flying.

MM 279a-sm_Nike-Smoke 36,8715_02-21-04.jpg

I only recently got a Nike, but since I got it this spring, my Performance Rocketry 4" Nike Smoke has been one of my mainstays for any launch (it's on the right in the drag race shot). It looks good (although it needs a new paintjob - the current one is getting kind of beat up), and flies incredibly well.

The only way I could ever purchase FSI products was to order directly from the company.

One of the kits I ordered from them was a Nike Smoke scale model. Talk about poor quality control. No two fins were the same shape/size, the motor mount centering rings looked like they were cut out with scissors, the nose cone 'dipped' in the center, etc.

I decided to build the kit, replacing the 27mm motor mount tube with a 29mm I.D. piece of tubing. Even so, I've only flown it with 24mm 'E' motors.

My FSI Nike Smoke first flew at NARAM-33 in 1991 and it's latest flight was at NARAM-52. It does fly pretty well. :D

FSI Nike Smoke Kit.jpg

FSI Nike Smoke NARAM 33.jpg

FSI Nike Smoke NARAM-33 E15-7W.jpg

I built an old Centuri Nike Smoke kit, replacing the balsa fins with built-up paper fins (build thread here)

Finally got to fly it a couple weeks ago, really straight boost!

DSC_2689MR.jpg

DSC_2802CropMR.jpg

Here`s my 4" Polecat fiberglass Nike Smoke.Added bands ,access hatches and launch lug standoffs and pin stripes.White gloss lacquer main body ,gloss red & yellow lacquer fins and clear coat.
Vinyl UNITED STATES by Stickershock (of course)

Paul T

phpYnnyg4AM.jpg

phpAbTO4FAM.jpg

phpiK20DoAM.jpg

php5vkPWfAM.jpg

phpQ4PmsGAM.jpg

Very Nice Detailing Paul!
Super looking model!

Thankyou plenty John !It`s nice to be jugded by your peers. I plan to fly it ASAP this spring.....but with this snowstorm we are having :confused2:

Paul

Last edited:
Paul T
Did you do a build thread? I'd like to learn about the detailing you did. Wonderful job! I was thinking about the 4 inch Polecat kit... :D

Heres some pictures of my PR 1/4 scale Nike Smoke

Picture 1: Paint job complete
Picture 2: On the pad, ready for launch at NEFAR site
Picture 3: L2 cert on Gorilla J607WC (photo credit Jim Harris)
Picture 4: Aerotech I366R

DSC_0053.jpg

IMG_4880.jpg

Chris L2 J607WC.jpg

SAM_0723_2.jpg

Welcome to the SCALE - Nike Smoke Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Nike Smoke and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Centuri: Nike Smoke: KE-3 or #5183
Centuri: Nike Smoke: KS-15 or #5145
Cosmodrome: Nike Smoke:
Estes: Nike Smoke: #9704
Flight Systems Inc. (FSI): Nike Smoke: #1030
InFlight: Nike Smoke: IF-K114
ModelRockets.US: Nike Smoke 2.6: #01039
Neubauer: Micro Nike Smoke:
Performance Rocketry: 1/4 Scale Nike Smoke
Performance Rocketry: 1/3 Scale Nike Smoke
Polecat Aerospace: 4" Nike Smoke: #23
Polecat Aerospace: 10" Nike Smoke: #6

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Polecat Aerospace 10" Nike Smoke (#6) Basic Information.

polecat_aerospace.gif
Polecat Aerospace

10" Nike Smoke

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Scale
Motor Mount: 1x98mm
Recovery: Dual Deploy Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 11' 8"
Diameter: 10.25"
Span:
Weight: 29 pounds

Mfg. Description: This is a 2/3 scale replica of the famous sounding rocket from the 1950s and 1960s.
One of the favorites of rocketry enthusiasts, the Nike Smoke is a very stable and great looking rocket. With a fiberglass nose cone, pre-fiberglassed and slotted body tubes, and machined Baltic Birch fins and rings, this kit is a quick build and a solid flyer. (Polecat 2011 Web Ad)

polecat-nike%20smoke%20(10)-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
What's Up Hobby 2011 Web Ad

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
InFlight Nike Smoke Basic Information.

inflight.gif
InFlight Model Rocketry

Nike Smoke

IF-K114

Introduced: 2008
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Recovery: Parachute
Length: 22.62"
Diameter: 1.64"
Span:
Weight: 2.8 oz

Mfg. Description: DESC

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Performance Rocketry 1/4 Scale Nike Smoke Basic Information.

performance_rocketry.gif
Performance Rocketry

1/4 Scale Nike Smoke, 4" Nike Smoke

NUMBER

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount:
Recovery:
Length:
Diameter: 4"
Span:
Weight:

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
FSI Nike Smoke (#1030) Basic Information.

fsi.gif
Flight Systems Inc. (FSI)

Nike Smoke

Introduced: 1990
Final Year: 1994
Designer:

Motor Mount:
Length: 26.6"
Diameter: 2"
Span:
Weight: 4.75 oz

Mfg. Description: The Nike Smoke is a 1/8 scale model of the solid propellant sounding rocket used by NASA to measure wind velocities up to 75,000 ft. Chemicals released from the nose cone formed a dense white smoke that was photographically recorded to show wind movements. (FSI 1990 Catalog)

fsi-nike%20smoke-1990%20cat%20livery.jpg
FSI 1990 Catalog

fsi-nike-smoke-facecard.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Centuri Nike Smoke (KS-15 or #5145) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

Nike Smoke
(1/10 Scale)

KS-15 or #5145

Introduced: 1969
Final Year: 1981
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Length: 23.65"
Diameter: 1.64"
Span:
Weight: 2.3 oz

Mfg. Description: A real collector's item and challenge for all rocketeers. Nearly 2 feet tall, this big impressive looking model lifts slowly off the pad, streaks skyward almost out of sight, and then returns safely suspended from a large 20" parachute. Kit includes decals plus "Scale Data Sheet" with photos and scale drawings of the real NIKE SMOKE. (Centuri 1969 Catalog)

=====

This realistic replica of a famous NASA rocketsonde is impressive at rest or in flight. Nearyly 2 feet tall, this sleek beauty, with its break-through-design plastic nose cone, is a scale flying model of which you will be proud -- and will make you the envy of your friends. The realistic, slow liftoff and arrow-straight flight to altitude, is capped off by a safe recovery on its 20" parachute. (Centuri 1970 Christmas Catalog)

=====

A real collector's item and an exciting challenge for all rocketeers. This big, impressive model lifts slowly off the pad, streaks skywards almost out of sight, then returns safely from a large 20" parachute.

This kit is an exact 1/10th scale model of the solid propellant rocketsonde used by NASA to measure wind velocities at altitudes up to 75,000 feet. Chemicals emitted from the nose cone of the real NIKE SMOKE during the upper portion of flight form a dense white "smoke" trail which is photographically recorded to show wind movements. (Centuri 1971 Catalog)

centuri-nike%20smoke%20ks15-1969%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1969 Catalog
centuri-nike%20smoke%20ks15-1970%20xmas%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1970 Christmas Catalog
centuri-nike%20smoke%20ks15-1971%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1971 Catalog

centuri-nike%20smoke%20ks15-1972%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1972 Catalog
centuri-nike%20smoke%20ks15-1979%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1979 Catalog

centuri-nike%20smoke%20ks15-facecard.jpg
Centuri Nike Smoke Facecard

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Centuri Nike Smoke (KE-3 or #5183) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

Nike Smoke

KE-3 or #5183

Introduced: 1972
Final Year: 1976
Designer:

Motor Mount:
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Polecat Aerospace 4" Nike Smoke (#23) Basic Information.

polecat_aerospace.gif
Polecat Aerospace

4" Nike Smoke

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x54mm
Length: 58"
Diameter: 4"
Span:
Weight: 3.5 lbs

Mfg. Description: This 1/4 scale replica of the famous Nike Smoke is a rugged workhorse and a great level 1 and 2 rocket. Featuring a fiberglass nosecone, pre-fiberglassed and slotted body tube, Machined Baltic Birch fins and rings, and a full hardware package.

This rocket has a built weight of only 3.5 pounds, making it great for G through K motors. The kit is very easy to build and comes with fully illustrated instructions. Kit comes with rail guides for a standard rail.We recommend a 36" to 50" parachute. (What's Up Hobbies 2011 Web Ad)

polecat-nike%20smoke%204-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
What's Up Hobbies 2011 Web Ad

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Performance Rocketry 1/3 Scale Nike Smoke Basic Information.

performance_rocketry.gif
Performance Rocketry

1/3 Scale Nike Smoke, 5.5" Nike Smoke

NUMBER

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount:
Recovery:
Length: 6' 6"
Diameter: 5.5"
Span:
Weight:

performance%20rocketry-one%20third%20nike%20smoke-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
PR 2011 Web Ad

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Here is my newly completed performance rocketry 1/4 scale 4" nike smoke. It's the new version without fin can, but all fiberglass, tube, centering rins, and 54mm mount. I added a 38mm stuffer tube to get the chute up a bit higher and reduce volume a bit. I can fly on very long 38's, or short 54's, or remove the stuffer and run longer 54's. So far 5 3/4 # without motor and chute/bag.

Frank

WP_001014.jpg

WP_001017.jpg

Cosmodrome Nike Smoke Basic Information.

cosmodrome.gif
Cosmodrome Rocketry

MODEL NAME: Nike Smoke Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x29mm
Length: 36.5"
Diameter: 2.63"
Span:
Weight: 17oz

Mfg. Description: Balsa nose cone
Self-adhesive decals
24" rip-stop nylon parachute
E through H power
Through-the-wall fins
Motor retension (Cosmodrome 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

cosmodrome-nike%20smoke-2002%20web%20livery.jpg
Cosmodrome 2002 Web Ad
cosmodrome-nike%20smoke-2003%20web%20livery.jpg
Cosmodrome 2003 Web Ad
cosmodrome-nike%20smoke-2005%20web%20livery.jpg
Cosmodrome 2005 Web Ad

cosmodrome-nike%20smoke-2009%20web%20livery.jpg
Cosmodrome 2009 Web Ad
cosmodrome-nike%20smoke-2012%20web%20livery.jpg
Cosmodrome 2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

cosmodrome-nike%20smoke-facecard.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

cosmodrome-nike%20smoke-instr%201.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Neubauer Micro Nike Smoke Basic Information.

neubauer.gif
Neubauer Rockets

MODEL NAME: Micro Nike Smoke Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x13mm
Recovery:
Length: 10.5"
Diameter: 0.76"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description:
This kit features finely turned balsa nose cone.

Laser cut hardwood fins.

Kit comes complete with color adhesive decals and can be built in only 1 to 2 hours (except paint and decals). (Discount Rocketry 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

neubauer-micro%20nike%20smoke-2012%20web%20discount.jpg
Discount Rocketry 2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
I was poking around in the forums and saw this thread in the galleries. I figured I would offer a pic of my 10" Polecat Nike Smoke that has flown twice at GHS and Spring Blast here in Phoenix. Certified first try with it and it flies very nice and straight. Rocket is 12'6" and is right at 70lbs. loaded ready to go. Had a small problem with my ejection charge canisters vaporizing during it's maiden flight. Has flown twice on an M1315W. It is now hanging in my living room, (I'm probably the only one that has a 10" Nike Smoke in their living room, or at least one that is married.)

ozwald said:
I was poking around in the forums and saw this thread in the galleries. I figured I would offer a pic of my 10" Polecat Nike Smoke that has flown twice at GHS and Spring Blast here in Phoenix. Certified first try with it and it flies very nice and straight. Rocket is 12'6" and is right at 70lbs. loaded ready to go. Had a small problem with my ejection charge canisters vaporizing during it's maiden flight. Has flown twice on an M1315W. It is now hanging in my living room, (I'm probably the only one that has a 10" Nike Smoke in their living room, or at least one that is married.)

Are you flying at Spring Blast 2012? Hope so!

Probably not this year but quite possibly at GHS later in the year. May make the Spring Blast launch though. Oz Backman

Back