TOGinator - 30 motor cluster - 5th flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delta22

Reaction score
The TOGinator will fly on a 30 motor cluster:
27x Estes D12
2x ProX H133 (29mm 3gr) Blue
1x ProX I236 (38mm 3gr) Blue
1200 Ns full J cluster with onboard video

Going for its fifth flight Saturday, 7/17/10, at the CMASS launch in Amesbury, MA. Has fired 101 motors in the previous 4 flights.

Rocket has a fin design based on the FlisKits TOG, is 7ft tall x 4in diameter and flies at about 14lbs.

Pictures show rocket loaded with BP motors, AP motors not installed yet. Last pic shows 7ft main in deployment bag.

More info and previous flight pictures at www.bpasa.com

Will be fired with cluster box just built and tested which will push about 85A at 14V (1200W) to launch this. Powered by 14.8V 5Ah Lipo (4S 40C) battery, 200A Ford relay (triggered by a smaller relay to isolate from club launch system) and 10awg power leads. TRF thread: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=11766

Original thread on TOGinator: https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=42692&highlight=toginator

IMG_3489.jpg

IMG_3494.jpg

IMG_3496.jpg

IMG_3502.jpg

Last edited:
We're NOT worthy! (mentally insert your favorite "animated bowing in submission" icons here)

I always like hearing about this rocket...can't wait for the report (with photos and video, of course). [repeat bowing smilies]

That thing is just unreal!

Out of curiosity, what's the white on the motors? is that tape?

-Kevin

On a different thread, I stated I might stay away from the LCO duties this next launch.

With the chance to announce this beast again, I may have to reconsider.

Ever since I've heard about this beautiful beast and seen it in the latest issue of SR, I've had a question- now is a great opportunity to ask.

What is the purpose behind the four canted motors mounted forward on the body tube? Do they help stabilize or are they a 'just because we can' sort of thing?

Thanks for the kind words.

That thing is just unreal!

Out of curiosity, what's the white on the motors? is that tape?

-Kevin

The white is masking tape used for motor retention. 19 of the lower motor mounts for 24mm engines are 1.75" long rings that allow the motors to hang out at both ends. The rings are cardboard with a thin fiberglass wrap.

I call them engine bikinis, enough to get the job done, but not leaving much to the imagination :D

The 3 AP motors have positive retention using screws.

Ever since I've heard about this beautiful beast and seen it in the latest issue of SR, I've had a question- now is a great opportunity to ask.

What is the purpose behind the four canted motors mounted forward on the body tube? Do they help stabilize or are they a 'just because we can' sort of thing?

The first flight of the TOGinator recovered very fast and required a rebuild. The rebuild expanded the forward section to 4" diameter and added the 4 upper motor mounts purely for effect. They are pretty close to the rocket's CG and do not affect its stability.

At the tail, the outboard clusters of 6 engines on each side are canted towards the rocket's CG, so the effect of any uneven motor ignition is minimized.

In flight 3 at NERRF 5, a G71 outboard fired 2 seconds late, and an E15 catoed in one of the 4 upper motor mounts, but the flight was still stable and went over 1100ft.

I have had my eye on that rocket ever since i first saw it.
Cant wait to see it fly again. Those flames look ridiculous cool !

I would not mind a highrespictire to print and hang at my desk :)

Now, whenever someone challenges me with a statement like "Why are you using a cluster when you can get the same thing done with ONE motor with greater reliability?", I show them a picture of the TOGinator in flight....

You either "GET" clusters, or you don't... Simple as that :D

jim

Like a lot of what we do, the answer to "why" on something like the Toginator, is "Because I can".

Boris can, and it makes him happy to do it. Hmmmm... I'm failing to see any sort of problem with it.

-Kevin

jim

EXACTLY! Do the math. The wow factor goes up as the number of engines goes up. Two engines have 2x the wow factor of 1, 30 have 30x the wow factor of 1. Just like 6 Flags, more flags, more fun! :clap::clap::clap:

I'll let you guys in on a little secret. If you really want to impress your wife or girl friend with your rockets, cluster them. :wave:

Verna
www.vernarockets.com

What about clustered and staged? The rocket in my avatar is Andy Woerners 1/16 scale 3 stage clustered rocket with I believe 30 J motors in the first stage. The best part was winning the raffle to push the button. It was the best rocket launch I have ever seen.

The flight went well. Maybe too well.

The good news is that all 30 motors lit and there was a clean dual deploy recovery.

The bad news is that sparks from the 4 upper motor igniters dropped into the tops of several lower D12-0 motors and it appears that about 20 motors burned at both ends as the rocket lifted off!

All flame is supposed to be at the back of the rocket, the tail of the rocket is not supposed to be lit up like a barbecue. Several burning motors dropped onto the field and I had to stomp out flames caused by one.

Used D12-0 motors for the first time on this rocket because Estes no longer makes the D11-P motors. Will have to cover the tops of these motors next time.

IMG_3646.jpg

IMG_3647.jpg

IMG_3648.jpg

IMG_3649.jpg

Last edited:
Another way of looking at it is that there were 50 ignition events on one launch, despite the rocket having 30 igniters and motors.

Unfortunately the onboard video camera quit on me one more time, even after repeated tests on the ground. Definitely time for a plan B on that one.

Damage to tail is moderate. Will require a little fiberglass and a lot of paint before flying again, probably in October or November.

IMG_3673.jpg

IMG_3675.jpg

Despite the creative approach to burning the BP motors at both ends, the power of the central I and outboard H motors sent the rocket up quickly to 1343ft.

Thanks to Curtis Heisey for these two pictures.

2010-07-17-CMASS-180.jpg

2010-07-17-CMASS-181.jpg

awesome Boris. The first picture almost give the 2canted outboards a purple hue to me. Very cool! :clap:

Ben

The flight went well. Maybe too well.

Used D12-0 motors for the first time on this rocket because Estes no longer makes the D11-P motors. Will have to cover the tops of these motors next time.

Hmmm... the D11-P are listed in the Estes 2010 catalog, I wonder if they will come back?

Nice flight!!

What type of video camera was used on board? Do you know when it stopped recording?

Bob

Evidently there was more than one small fire. I thought I was going to get a chance to try out the new fire brooms that the NAR paid for but it was stomped it out before I got there. Alan did give us lessons on the proper way to use the brooms for the next time.

Open the battery compartment on your camera and see if it has springy contacts. If it does, jam a piece of cardboard behind the battery so it can't move. That did the trick on one of my cameras.

Now, whenever someone challenges me with a statement like "Why are you using a cluster when you can get the same thing done with ONE motor with greater reliability?", I show them a picture of the TOGinator in flight....

jim

Yep, so true. Besides, look at the Saturn 1B and V -- NASA was into clusters too. And the Russians were insane over clusters -- the N1's full name I think was actually the N1 TOGinatoreyevich.

Last edited:
I wish I could have been there to see that flight!!! Unfortunately I had to miss this weekends launch because I had surgery on my shoulder this past week and wasn't quite up to the drive and the day in the field. I'll be looking forward to the next time though!!!

Back