My Cats And Rockets.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
I have 8 Cats. I started with one, but it had Kittens, and before I could place them all with Homes, the Kittens had Kittens. I was finally able to get the whole Lot of them spayed and nuetered, and the 8 I own are my Keepers. It's really not that bad since they go outside to use the Bathroom.
Anyhow, when I was a Kid, I remember that the Cats we had would chew on my Fins on my Rockets. It was like they had a thing for Balsa and Paint.
Does anyone have any stories of Cats attacking Rockets?

I once tried to test a parachute by tying it to one of our cats and having him run around the house. He sorta freaked out once he realized that a thing was attached to him. The test did not go well and I got "one of those looks" from the wife. The cat quickly forgave me and I never tried that again.

My cat got ahold of a shockcord I hadnt glued on yet....chewed in in 5 pieces, she always has liked rubber bands though, now I try to only use cloth/elastic sc

My cat got ahold of a shockcord I hadnt glued on yet....chewed in in 5 pieces, she always has liked rubber bands though, now I try to only use cloth/elastic sc

I have the same problem - any elastic cord is fair game apparently. My Estes Amazon shock cord will never be the same again :)

I have six. But the workshop is no place for them. Too many things I worry getting on their coats and them licking. But that's just me.

I once tried to test a parachute by tying it to one of our cats and having him run around the house. He sorta freaked out once he realized that a thing was attached to him. The test did not go well and I got "one of those looks" from the wife. The cat quickly forgave me and I never tried that again.
Haaa, now i have something planned for the weekend!!!

I have six. But the workshop is no place for them. Too many things I worry getting on their coats and them licking. But that's just me.

My Workshop is in my living room but I keep my Paints and Chemicals away from the Cats. These Cats don't really bother my Rockets, but sometimes I'll have one on the Bench and a Cat will come in from outside, all wet, then leap onto my Bench to shake off their Coat.

Haaa, now i have something planned for the weekend!!!

Ill second that! Our cats like to help with shock cords and shroud lines, but just to play. They've never been chewers fortunately.

I remember Odo's cat had a habit of bombing his rockets. The cat loved knocking them off of the shelf he kept them on.

Last edited:
The late great Biroc liked Red. Didn't matter waht it was, if it was red, he'd try to eat it.

our cat doesn't eat rocket parts ...she is always there to help though under foot so , I have foot print stickers that I had Stickershock make looks like cat tracks on rocket

Oh yea. I had a tuxedo Angora back in 1970 when I got a number of rockets for Christmas and built them all during vacation. When I got back from my first day of school after vacation, I found all the rockets had neat little fang holes in their fins. Fast forward to 1995 and my calico picked one rocket to chew on (a Blue Bird Zero). Still have the rocket and it still has one of the chewed-on fins in her memory. Currently, my two siamese mixes love to ramble through any stuff I have out while working on rockets, and like to zero in on shock cords, parachutes and shroud lines.

Thank you all for the cautionary tales of cats and rockets.

Unfortunately, my daughter has already decided that we must adopt/admit two stray cats into our house, and so they are already here.
Fortunately, they leave my rockets alone and we have trained them not to jump up on the table.
However, my wife is not happy with me assembling my rockets on her dining room table and is working on training me not to jump up there.

So, even as I write this, the big Tom is sleeping curled up next to my feet, and the other smaller female has jumped up onto the back of the small recliner chair where she is sleeping, keeping an eye on all who pass through the room. I am more worried about what my wife will do with my growing number of rockets that are all over the fireplace mantle and increasing exponentially! (Why didn't someone warn me that rocketry was addictive???)

Thank you all for the cautionary tales of cats and rockets.

So, even as I write this, the big Tom is sleeping curled up next to my feet, and the other smaller female has jumped up onto the back of the small recliner chair where she is sleeping, keeping an eye on all who pass through the room.

Cats leave paw prints on your heart... just sayin...

Cats leave paw prints on your heart... just sayin...

Indeed. I was mostly always a "Dog Guy", but after having the Cat Bomb dropped on me, they've really softened me up.
I used to get startled by everything after I came home from Iraq. Cats have really helped me reduce the amount of Excitement and Exhilaration I feel from Spontaneous Noises.
Thank You Cats.

There's 8 of them, and there is always a Toy Mouse Chase or General Mischief occuring somewhere in my House. Cat Nip seems to make them pretty upitty too.

Last edited:
Two dogs, no cats.

abbikirby.jpg

One dog and 8 Cats. The Dog is more of a Mythilogical Creature around here though.

I'm a dog person myself but I like some cats, not the three free loaders that we have now. I did have one cat that I loved. He liked to munch on my balsa fins and elastic shock cords too, although once the balsa was painted he left it alone.

He was smart as could be, came when I called him, and he would bite my wife's ankles when she would yell at me. :)
He would lay on my lap and let me rub his super soft bunny fur on his belly. He would try so hard to sneak the shock cords when he thought I wasn't looking. He only lived 7 short years and died from kidney failure. I have no shame in admitting I cried like a little girl when he died.

TA

I'm a dog person myself but I like some cats, not the three free loaders that we have now. I did have one cat that I loved. He liked to munch on my balsa fins and elastic shock cords too, although once the balsa was painted he left it alone.

He was smart as could be, came when I called him, and he would bite my wife's ankles when she would yell at me. :)
He would lay on my lap and let me rub his super soft bunny fur on his belly. He would try so hard to sneak the shock cords when he thought I wasn't looking. He only lived 7 short years and died from kidney failure. I have no shame in admitting I cried like a little girl when he died.

TA

That's understandable. I've lost Friends in the War and been able to hide my Anguish, but when one of my Animals dies, I'm a Waterfall of Tears. No shame either. I love my Critters.
Animals are innocent of everything.

I was never a dog guy. Never understood the attraction. Yappy ones, big ones... never understood it.
Cats were just what I needed.

Now I work for Dogvacay.com and we have pooches in the office everyday. Now I get how they are cool too. Still not my pets, I am owned by cats, but dogs are cool! It just took meeting the right dogs... :)

Sometimes, a Cat will come in with dirt in the Corner of its Eye. It will reject your Efforts to remove the nastiness, but once it's done the Cat loves you like your're its Superhero. I really enjoy my Cats. They can be an Expensive hobby like Rockets. They need Yearly Immunizations and sometimes they get a Scratch that need Stiches. I prefer to not talk about the bad Things, but my Cats are well taken care of.
One of mine came inside one Day with a 4 Inch "Slice" Through his side. I took him to the Vet, and it was $800.00 to get him repaired. Really made an Impact on how I talk to my Cats. I now try to spend my time telling them to not get hit by an Owl or Eagle.
I used to like Owls and Eagles, but according to my Vet, they are likely what hurt my Mister Whisker, so for now, they are on my Enemy List.

We have two cats. One of them will chew everything and anything - including the nose cone on my Nike Smoke :mad:

So yeah, if you were to look closely at my Nike, you'll see a nice little set of tooth marks...

singing-gato.jpg

I'm just going to leave this here.

:)

Also, I am a cat hater. I hate cats and cats hate me. No cat has ever gotten into my arms (or within a 10 foot radius of me) without scratching me.

Dogs are better. But I am not talking about those little toy purse dogs. I am talking about real dogs. Like the big 90 pound lab that we have.
:)

THAT is a real dog.

Back