Need advice on where to mount key-fob sized action camera on L2 Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlabrasca

Reaction score
Not sure if this exactly the right section of the forum for this question; but it does have to do with on-board video.

I have a Foxeer Legend 2+ that I want to mount on THIS ROCKET

Here is a dimensioned drawing of the rocket and camera.

locatingfoxeercamera_1.jpg

The camera masses about 60 grams (about 2 oz). On the pad, the rocket will mass 2.2 kg (about 78 oz.).

I am working on a mount now. It will have a mechanical attachment to the airframe, so some advice on optimal (or potentially disastrous) placement would be helpful.

Mounting it above the CG will only improve the CG but the based on weight of camera will probably have little or any noticeable effect.

Thanks again.

I was more worried about the aerodynamics. Should I not be?

I took the guts of one of those things and put it in a 4" long BT20.

With couplers on both ends, it goes between the nose cone and main tube on my LPRs.

weighs less and no odd drag

I took the guts of one of those things and put it in a 4" long BT20.

With couplers on both ends, it goes between the nose cone and main tube on my LPRs.

weighs less and no odd drag

I've done something similar with cheap "spy cam" cameras. I was able to use a coupon, and got it for about $40 -- but the Foxeer camera is still a little too expensive for me to attempt that kind of surgery. <smile>

Ages ago I used Velcro to attach a keychain camera to a fin on my Velociraptor. The thing coned a little on the way up as expected...

I would recommend something more substantial than Velcro, and also consider balancing the aerodynamics, maybe with a dummy shape, on the other side of the airframe. There might be more drag but a straighter flight.

Thanks again.

I was more worried about the aerodynamics. Should I not be?
I expect further forward, it may affect stability. Because of this, I mount mine just above the fins. I do this on my 2in and 4in rockets, with excellent results. Mounting consists of lots of masking tape, to both secure the camera, and create an aerodynamic wedge. This is removed and reapplied each flight. I want to minimize drag and prevent the camera from being being sheared off. I use the 808 style keychain cams.

Well, this is turning out to be a bigger PITA than I'd anticipated. I am going to try to mill a camera platform from HDPE. It will mount to the airframe with two nylon screws, one of which will also act as a stop at the back of the camera. Two nylon screws at the front -- one on either side of the lens, and a piece of carbon fiber plate on top, to keep the camera moving with the rocket. I am going to cut it tomorrow or the next day, if I can free up a couple of hours.
cameraplatform.png

Attachments

• cameraplatform.png
    cameraplatform.png
    738.6 KB · Views: 58
I think you're way over-doing it. You can just wrap the thing with black electrical tape. djs (Glen) does it all the time with key-fob cameras and has never had a problem

Also with the 808 cameras (and other LiPo devices in general) don't leave them in a drawer and not charged for a year or so. Once the battery discharges it is permanently NBG (no bloody good). I am getting three of these ready currently and all the batteries are stuffed :(.

I think you're way over-doing it.

Oh yes. Without a doubt.

However, the Foxeer Legend 2+ is not a key-fob camera. It has the same form-factor, but it is not disposable (at least not to me). I was fortunate to get it at a substantial discount, but it would cost me $70 to replace it.

Also there is no part of the rocket that is NOT over-done, over-thought, over-engineered, over-built. It seems wrong to jury-rig a camera mount. <smile>

Last edited:
Electrical tape works great for attaching a camera to a rocket. Just wrap it around the body tube and camera. It holds well and usually removes cleanly. And, you can buy it in colors matching your rocket.

Electrical tape works great for attaching a camera to a rocket. Just wrap it around the body tube and camera. It holds well and usually removes cleanly. And, you can buy it in colors matching your rocket.

Yes. Thank you. I have considered sensibly low-cost, low-effort, and easily-implemented solutions for attaching the camera. I decided to go a different way.

Also with the 808 cameras (and other LiPo devices in general) don't leave them in a drawer and not charged for a year or so. Once the battery discharges it is permanently NBG (no bloody good). I am getting three of these ready currently and all the batteries are stuffed :(.

Thanks for the reminder. I have a couple of cheap cameras (one made to look like doll-sized 35 mm camera, and one boutonniere/lavaliere-style spy camera) that I'd planned to disassemble and mount inside the airframe of small diameter rockets. I've had these for a while. I will remember to check the batteries.

Yes. Thank you. I have considered sensibly low-cost, low-effort, and easily-implemented solutions for attaching the camera. I decided to go a different way.

Thanks for the reminder. I have a couple of cheap cameras (one made to look like doll-sized 35 mm camera, and one boutonniere/lavaliere-style spy camera) that I'd planned to disassemble and mount inside the airframe of small diameter rockets. I've had these for a while. I will remember to check the batteries.
https://www.additiveaerospace.com/products/808-16-camera-shroud

Attachments

• DSC_029023.jpg
    DSC_029023.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 3
Back