Liquid Fueled Model Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1974_Trident

Reaction score
Last week my son, Rocketeer41, brought his Estes Executioner to his Cub Scout den meeting for the "Build a Model" achievement. Two of his den-mates came to me separately to tell me about their own model rockets. Both of them were certain that their rockets were powered by gasoline and that their rockets smell of gasoline after being launched. I am inclined to think that they may be confusing model airplanes with rockets or may have been referring to their R/C cars. I did google liquid fueled model rockets and i found a few references to some kits which were available in the U.K. during the 50s and 60s which seem to have been powered by some fluid called "Petrol" whatever the heck that is.

Does anybody here know of any currently available commercially produced liquid fueled model rocket kits? I am asking about liquid fuel combustion rockets. Not the liquid Freon propellant rockets from the 1960s.

Other than Hybrids, there is nobody in what we call the hobby community actively doing true liquid fueled rockets. Leastwise not at a sanctioned launch. I believe the Reaction Research Society has dabbled there from time to time, however they are way heck and gone beyond scouts.

Note - there is a Tribrid by Rattworks that could qualify as a liquid fueled as during one part of it's operation it burns NOx and Alcohol. Still, way hack and gone beyond scouts.

I did google liquid fueled model rockets and i found a few references to some kits which were available in the U.K. during the 50s and 60s which seem to have been powered by some fluid called "Petrol" whatever the heck that is.

Does anybody here know of any currently available commercially produced liquid fueled model rocket kits? I am asking about liquid fuel combustion rockets. Not the liquid Freon propellant rockets from the 1960s.

"Petrol" is the popular British term for what folks in the US call gasoline.

I would not say NOBODY does liquid fueled rockets. I know a BUNCH of guys in the UK that fly Them on a regular basis. remember solid fueled rocket motors are not as easy to access there as they are here.

Check out these videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IewyiY7GSY4&p=33C803088C9209F8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wel...ay&list=PL33C803088C9209F8&index=8&playnext=1

Of course to the OP I am sure the boyscouts in your area are NOT doing this kind of stuff. it takes some real skill . money and experience.

Last edited:
There are no, and AFAIK never has been, liquid fueled hobby model rocket motors, as hobby model rocket motors use only solid fuel by definition.

The current tribrids are as close as we have for certified liquid hobby high power rocket motors. There have been uncertified liquid hobby rocket motor kits such as Systeme Solaire, but they have very poor thrust to weight ratios so they do not perform well and they are not well made. A total waste of $1000.

What the scouts may have seen is an old Dynajet pulsejet engine. These jet engines were popular in the 50's and 60's. A modern analog can be purchased from Beck Technologies. https://www.beck-technologies.com/index.html

Bob

Emailed Beck-Technologies twice in the last week and a half, and no response...I even wanted to give them some money...
am I to impatient?
Larry

Back