Anyone Know When the Next Upgrade of Open Rocket is Due Out?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EeebeeE

Reaction score
Version 15.03 has been out a long time and the motor library isn't up to date.

Good question. I've been wondering the same thing. I'm a contributor on GitHub and on the dev mailing list and as far as I know, none of the sr. devs have mentioned any target date but I do know it's still being worked on.

It would be nice if they at least updated the motor list. For some reason too, it will no longer do 3D renderings for me. I tried updating JAVA, but that didn't help. Win 10 gets periodic updates and I think one of the updates messed it up. Tried downloading a new version and it didn't help.

You can always add the motors it's missing. I don't quite remember how to do it. I just search "adding motors to OpenRocket" here or in Google every time I need to do it.

It looks like OR sources their thrust curves, aka "engines", from thrustcurve.org:

https://github.com/openrocket/openrocket/tree/master/core/resources-src/datafiles/thrustcurves

I could be wrong as I don't know the software architecture at all. Just poked around the repo.

Last update in stable branch was 2 years ago.

In the unstable version (live development version?), there isn't any data files at all:

https://github.com/openrocket/openrocket/tree/unstable/core/resources-src

This tells me that it may be built/obtained at build time. I'll try to dig in more when I get a chance.

If the files are just static downloads from thrustcurve.org, one could just download them all and import them (RockerSim had an Import Engine feature that took an XML file, so that tells me they both most likely share the same source).

Another option is if OpenRocketnl itself uses the flat files straight downloaded, then you could open your OpenRocket.jar file (it is just a zip file) and find the directory that has the files, dump them into it, and rezip.

As explained to me by noffie79, here's how to add motor files to OR...

1) setup a folder for your motor files
2) download the motor files you need from Thrustcurve.com
3) in OpenRocket, go to "Edit" -> "Preferences"... Then "Add" the folder containing your files.
4) continue adding whatever files you need whenever you need them. Just save them to that folder

As explained to me by noffie79, here's how to add motor files to OR...

1) setup a folder for your motor files
2) download the motor files you need from Thrustcurve.com
3) in OpenRocket, go to "Edit" -> "Preferences"... Then "Add" the folder containing your files.
4) continue adding whatever files you need whenever you need them. Just save them to that folder

Oh, you can import several at a time? Well then, that's the method. :)

I haven't updated motor files for mine yet. I'll try that.

Good example why TRF is the official support forum for OpenRocket. Plenty of folks who know "how to do it". Several tutorials already otherwise just ask here and someone will have an answer.

Have any of you tried importing my complete by manufacturer files? Can the import function take a rse or eng with multiple motors in it?

Files available of www.rocketryfiles.com username and password both guest.

Under flight simulation/motorfiles

Have any of you tried importing my complete by manufacturer files? Can the import function take a rse or eng with multiple motors in it?

Files available of www.rocketryfiles.com username and password both guest.

Under flight simulation/motorfiles

Bingo! It can. I downloaded the Loki file and followed the same steps a few posts up

Before adding(Loki 38mm):
Capture006.PNG

After adding and restarting(same Loki 38mm):
Capture007.PNG

Thanks Mark!

Last edited:
That's the advantage of paid staff.

+1, however I am appreciative to the OR team for the work they do voluntarily.

This is an interesting conundrum of Open Source. The volunteer collaboration vs. profit motive. At the end of the day, volunteers will always attend to more pressing matters and get around to the free stuff later.

In my day job, the most successful providers of Open Source combine the two. The Open Source code is the foundation of the product, but the product is customized and commercialized and offered at a much lower price than traditional proprietary software.

If OR cost $20-$50, that would be perfectly acceptable under GNU public license, and most rocketeers would probably be cool with that, too. :2:

I'd drop $20 to get tube fins right now. But I don't want to lay out $90 for RockSim.

This is an interesting conundrum of Open Source. The volunteer collaboration vs. profit motive. At the end of the day, volunteers will always attend to more pressing matters and get around to the free stuff later.

In my day job, the most successful providers of Open Source combine the two. The Open Source code is the foundation of the product, but the product is customized and commercialized and offered at a much lower price than traditional proprietary software.

If OR cost $20-$50, that would be perfectly acceptable under GNU public license, and most rocketeers would probably be cool with that, too. :2:

Of course if it was a product for money people would then have expectations of regular updates and feature upgrades. Such a change might not be in line with the nature of the development teams wishes. I have no problem waiting impatiently for the next version the way OR is currently being developed.

Will it work, simply in a non-complex way, with Windows 10? Downloaded it in to this still relatively new machine this morning and can't figure out how to get it to run. I remember it being simple on the old Vista machine, click on it and it pretty much ran itself.

Will it work, simply in a non-complex way, with Windows 10? Downloaded it in to this still relatively new machine this morning and can't figure out how to get it to run. I remember it being simple on the old Vista machine, click on it and it pretty much ran itself.
Works fine on my windows 10 computer. I just click on it and it goes.

You probably need to upgrade Java.

You probably need to upgrade Java.
Hmm. Now that Java is mentioned I remember when I got this new computer in October a bunch, and I mean a bunch, of people, including some who build computers for a living said do not, do not, do not, install Java because of huge security holes in it.

As a hacker myself, I can attest to how many exploits Java surfaces (100s). They patch it, and more are found.

Hell, it took them almost 2 years to find one exploit (and it was listed on the CIA's Vault 7 leak earlier this year).

Java is not included with any Windows install. Some Windows applications installs Java (eww) so it may "just work" for some people that have those awful programs installed earlier.

Java isn't even included with MacOS any longer as well, if that tells you anything.

In short, most Java exploits these works like this:

- you hit a website with some java code hidden in the background (mostly it is an Advertisement and the website itself doesn't know it is spreading the hack).
- that java code is built in a way that doesn't ask for permissions to run.
- once running, it tries a number of exploits. one of the easiest and keeps-coming-back is the one to access IP address 192.168.1.1 (your Wifi/Router/Gateway in your house!).
- then, simply try admin/admin, admin/password, admin/no-password, no-username/password, no-username/admin, etc etc (do any of those sound like your current router's password?).

If you bought a wifi router, and didn't change the password, most likely you are vulnerable if you have Java installed.

So that's correct... DO NOT INSTALL JAVA!

----

Now, how to run OpenRocket? There are a number of "alternative" ways, but they are a bit difficult to explain.

In short, you want to download just the JRE runtime WITHOUT the browser plugin. The thing is, Oracle has made it very difficult to find these installers these days that do not have the web plugin built in.

This is one reason why I only use OpenRocket on my MacOS (OSX) machines. With MacOS, there is a package manager called Homebrew and they have already figured out the latest version that doesn't have the Web Plugin. Well, at least not a version that Google Chrome will execute (Windows Internet Explorer and Safari are more than happy to execute it though!).

$ brew cask install java

And it just installs the command line version. You also need to add it to your path.

Once done, then you can just click the OpenRocket.jar file and it opens.

As for Windows... Since 8, I haven't found a non-Web PLugin version of Java to install for Windows - mainly because I just stay away from it and develop solely on macos now.

When I get home I'll try to poke around.

But... There is a better way.

You can package a Java application (the "jar" file) with a self executing/distributable Java runtime wrapper that has the JAR file within the executable itself. This basically turns OpenRocket.jar into OpenRocket.exe - that you can just click on.

I've been thinking of contributing to the OpenRocket project by trying to get it under a wrapper; but, I just don't know Java that well.

That's why it is open source... if someone has the ability, they can contribute and build a runtime wrapper.

There may be licensing issues with Oracle to distribute the latest release of Java. But, usually you just have to list the disclaimer that Java is included or something like that.

Of course if it was a product for money people would then have expectations of regular updates and feature upgrades. Such a change might not be in line with the nature of the development teams wishes. I have no problem waiting impatiently for the next version the way OR is currently being developed.

That's why I'm not ranting, but rather hoping that they have not given up the project.

As a hacker myself, I can attest to how many exploits Java surfaces (100s). They patch it, and more are found.
Java isn't even included with MacOS any longer as well, if that tells you anything..
If you bought a wifi router, and didn't change the password, most likely you are vulnerable if you have Java installed.
So that's correct... DO NOT INSTALL JAVA!

Now, how to run OpenRocket? There are a number of "alternative" ways, but they are a bit difficult to explain.
Okay, so that wasn't an inaccurate memory. My internet is cable and a PC. I have no wireless devices or smart phone thing. Since my health is a huge mess with Social Security Disability being what's for income it's likely there won't be money to afford fixing a seriously compromised computer; which puts me solidly on the paranoid side of things. This computer wouldn't be here if my parents hadn't bought it. And with that messy health from several neurological, endocrine, and immune, dysfunctions, things which are beyond a certain complexity are off the table. For example, speaking of tables, literally off the table are the board games Star Fleet Battles and Starfire, my mind just won't do that any more. There are randomly about 1/3 of the days in a month where I have no, as in zero, business driving because either my physical coordination or ability to focus at any speed beyond walking, or both, are off. There are days where I can still read 100 pages a day and there are days where a page of print might as well be paint spatters. With all that, complex computer stuff frustrates me quickly.

I was hoping to have a go at finishing this one which has been dormant for several years while I worked on trains with our little club here in our little burg.

8790049396_c6c18697e0_c.jpg

But... There is a better way.

You can package a Java application (the "jar" file) with a self executing/distributable Java runtime wrapper that has the JAR file within the executable itself. This basically turns OpenRocket.jar into OpenRocket.exe - that you can just click on.

I have done this for both windows:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dfpo0pzztgsscqf/OpenRocket-15.03-installer.exe?dl=0

And Mac: https://www.dropbox.com/s/33o53vlle5b0uex/OpenRocket-15.03.dmg?dl=0

The Windows version has successfully gotten a couple of forum members up and running, after having trouble going the normal route.

I have done this for both windows:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dfpo0pzztgsscqf/OpenRocket-15.03-installer.exe?dl=0

And Mac: https://www.dropbox.com/s/33o53vlle5b0uex/OpenRocket-15.03.dmg?dl=0

The Windows version has successfully gotten a couple of forum members up and running, after having trouble going the normal route.

Well there we go! (if you can trust someone with *just* 2000+ messages. :) )

For others that may not be able to interrupt this message, @neil_w has packaged up OpenRocket into a self-executing package that requires no java at all!

Click on the link above for Windows or Mac, and run them without java!

@TRFfan: if it runs fine on your machine, then you know you have full java installed and everything I mentioned above might put you at risk. At least use Google Chrome as your browser that prevents Java from running now.

@ModelTrains: try downloading the Windows only version above that @neil_w linked to.

Well there we go! (if you can trust someone with *just* 2000+ messages. :) )

For others that may not be able to interrupt this message, @neil_w has packaged up OpenRocket into a self-executing package that requires no java at all!

Click on the link above for Windows or Mac, and run them without java!

@TRFfan: if it runs fine on your machine, then you know you have full java installed and everything I mentioned above might put you at risk. At least use Google Chrome as your browser that prevents Java from running now.

@ModelTrains: try downloading the Windows only version above that @neil_w linked to.
Yeah i do use chrome.

Back