Looking for some "to buy" suggestions..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are looking for an odd rocket, look at Art Applewhite, Oddl rockets, or Rocketarium.

What are looking for? Big MPR? HPR? If you want a good MPR try the Semrcoc SLS Brighton. the Mega Max and Leviathan are both great rockets.

What are looking for? Big MPR? HPR? If you want a good MPR try the Semrcoc SLS Brighton. the Mega Max and Leviathan are both great rockets.

Those Mega Max/Leviathan should be here next week. Can they be flown on E engines? I live in PA, and where I am at to launch I don't really have a huge space, so higher flights are not gonna happen. Looking for some rockets like Leviathan/Mega Max etc...

"Eric1", I'll look into them!

If E is your limit, are you talking about Black Powder E (limited to ~12N avg) or AT Hobbyline E? If the former, then I'm fresh out. If the latter, Rocketarium has some cool looking scale kits. The smaller Aerotech kits will also fly well on small fields on Es - everybody has to own an Arreaux at some point, right? Right?

If you want to draw a crowd at a small event, consider a Wildman Blackhawk 29, nekkid, save for a clearcoat. It looks uber-fast just sitting on a cradle in the prep area, and is a lot of fun to fly - and cheap - on Es and little Fs (like the 24mm F39T in an adapter).

Executioner and initiator can both be found heavily discounted. Or if interested in some g's the g-force is untouchable

Kenny

Those Mega Max/Leviathan should be here next week. Can they be flown on E engines? I live in PA, and where I am at to launch I don't really have a huge space, so higher flights are not gonna happen. Looking for some rockets like Leviathan/Mega Max etc...

"Eric1", I'll look into them!

The Mega Max needs an F at a minimum. Even with something like a G77 it only goes under 1000 feet. I have flown my Leviathan on F-52 and F-40, which are spectacular. The recommended engines start at F for that rocket.

I have flown my SLS Brighton on Es ... which Ones I can not recall, I want to say E-18s, E-28, or E-23... The Semroc website says it does 850 feet on an E-15. It has interchangeable motor mounts so you can also fly it with 4Cs or 3 Ds.

Qquake2k: I thought about scratch building my own, where do you get your supplies? I like that rocket in the other thread you built by the way. That's my dream rocket.

Jordan: E's not really my limit, just doing it on a small budget. I've never launch beyond a D engine so I'm gonna do a F or G at least once.

Willmarchant: I've emailed fliskits and got some info today in the mail too.

KenRico: Ill look into those as well.

KurtH: thanks for the info.

The last time I was really into rockets was 15 to 20 years ago, estes was all I knew then. Ill check out all the brands. I like most of the rockets on "The launch Pad" site.

The last time I was really into rockets was 15 to 20 years ago, estes was all I knew then. Ill check out all the brands. I like most of the rockets on "The launch Pad" site.

You are quite welcome. Mid power is certainly the best bang for the buck in the hobby. You can have pretty impressive flights with good sized rockets for not much more than Low Power. If there is a rocketry club in your area I would strongly recommend you go to a launch. Flying with a club gets you a good field and a lot of people to help you, and you can see other people's rockets fly.

Qquake2k: I thought about scratch building my own, where do you get your supplies? I like that rocket in the other thread you built by the way. That's my dream rocket.

I get my supplies from several different suppliers, depending on the project: Balsa Machining, Mercury Engineering, LOC Precision, and Hobbylinc are my top four. I usually buy 1/8" and 1/4" birch plywood from Michael's. I've been able to get some good stuff there, and I always use the coupons. I usually get epoxy from Hobbylinc, but I've also bought it at the LHS when necessary. I also get most of my LPR and MPR motors from Hobbylinc. Their prices can't be beat. I usually get rail buttons from Dog House Rocketry. Hardware (eyebolts, u-bolts, etc.) I usually get from Home Depot, Lowe's, OSH, and Ace.

Which rocket is your dream rocket? I can give you the particulars on where I bought everything.

Edit: I forgot to mention, if you're going to get into scratch building, I highly recommend getting the free program, Open Rocket. It has some amazing design features and it's all free! There is a slight learning curve, but if I can figure it out, anyone can!

Last edited:
You are quite welcome. Mid power is certainly the best bang for the buck in the hobby. You can have pretty impressive flights with good sized rockets for not much more than Low Power. If there is a rocketry club in your area I would strongly recommend you go to a launch. Flying with a club gets you a good field and a lot of people to help you, and you can see other people's rockets fly.

+1000 on flying with a local club! When I started flying with a club a few years ago, my rocketry fun went up tenfold. I love the comradery with the other rocketeers, plus you get to see things you would never see otherwise. And rocketeers are the nicest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people I associate with. If you forgot something, or need help with something, chances are someone there can help you. I'm a member of two clubs now, and love both of them!

Looking for some suggestions, already have the Mega Der Red Max, and Leviathan on my wish list. Any other I should consider?

Could I suggest the FlisKits Richter Recker or our kit pack for the 24mm Tres upscale? Another popular one would be the 3X 24mm StarLoad pay loader... :)

Not sure if any rocket clubs are around here. I when I got started into rockets about 9 or 10 years old our local high school had a "Super Saturday" program and one of the courses you could sign up for was model rocketry. I had a few childhood friends that I used to launch with but I really don't know anybody now.

Qquake2: it was "the shadow xxl" I believe. That's was nice, maybe something for me a little smaller than that. And thanks for the info!

Last edited:
All very good suggestions. My advice is to try new techniques with each rockets. Diffrent glues, paints, or materials. Learn more in less time.

LOC onyx can be had for $38. Good way to play around. Just toss an Estes 29mm retainer on it.
I'm just starting to play around with mid power fiberglass kits from wildman. Seems easy so far.

Scratch building is also very fun and rewarding. Take your time and enjoy it

Executioner and initiator can both be found heavily discounted. Or if interested in some g's the g-force is untouchable

Kenny

I am interested in some G's, just received a GForce from Wildman! I

Am gonna think about mods, already know it is great stock.

Woot!

Kenny

I did a search I love the G-force! What launch pads/controller/ignitors do you use for F, G engines? These are new to me. Thanks for the help so far to all. Still searching for clubs also..

PML AGM-256 Pit Bull

Wildman Blackhawk 29

Wildman Mini Eagle Claw

Wildman Wild Child

LOC 4" V2 (Flies great on big G's)

Those two are what I'm looking for/scratch build!

I made an Optima out of bluetube. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?24502-29mm-Optima-Build
Could be done out of cardboard high power tubes much lighter...or estes tubing REALLY light.

Built some smaller ones too: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?28567-BT-60-Optima-downscale&highlight=mini+optima

Low cost, scratch build.... I'd make it out of LOC tubing with a 29mm mount. I should have done the Bluetube as a 38 and dual deploy.

The original plans to get you started: https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est2035.htm
And semroc sells balsa fin reproductions.

I'm kinda an Optima junkie. I've got 4 full size built, one kit unbuilt, 2 BT60's, a mini semroc kit unbuilt, and parts for two Estes style builds :)

Last edited:
I made an Optima out of bluetube. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?24502-29mm-Optima-Build
Could be done out of cardboard high power tubes much lighter...or estes tubing REALLY light.

Built some smaller ones too: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?28567-BT-60-Optima-downscale&highlight=mini+optima

Low cost, scratch build.... I'd make it out of LOC tubing with a 29mm mount. I should have done the Bluetube as a 38 and dual deploy.

The original plans to get you started: https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est2035.htm
And semroc sells balsa fin reproductions.

I'm kinda an Optima junkie. I've got 4 full size built, one kit unbuilt, 2 BT60's, a mini semroc kit unbuilt, and parts for two Estes style builds :)

That's a cool build. I do like the Optima too. I need to start looking around for build parts so I can get started on something this winter. I'm off work so I need something to fill my time. I wish I had a close hobby shop to go buy parts for a build but looks like I'm gonna have to shop around online. Thanks for the info.

I did a search I love the G-force! What launch pads/controller/ignitors do you use for F, G engines? These are new to me. Thanks for the help so far to all. Still searching for clubs also..

Clubs out here have their own launch equipment, hopefully when you find your closest they will too.

There is something you will need if you are gonna pop some $10 G's a Aerotech Hobby line RMS 29 40/120 reload able case. I

https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/ShowProducts.aspx?Class=380&Sub=817

The reloads come with an igniter, The drill tool is highly recommended also.

Kenny

The G-Force is very popular. I see them a lot at club launches. If you use the Aerotech Copperhead ignitors, you'll need a high capacity 12 volt source. Copperheads are current hogs. They also require a special clip or one of several unorthodox attachment methods.

Copperheads are two very thin strips of copper with a thin layer of plastic between them. So you have to somehow attach to each side. You can use the Aerotech Interlock clip, a piece of tape on each side, a piece of paper or card stock with a hole in it, or melt the end with a lighter to separate the two copper strips.

03_copperheads.jpg

05_interlock.jpg

10_paper.jpg

11_tape.jpg

13_lighter.jpg

Back