Where are the good pics?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astronwolf

Reaction score
You'd think with 1000's of public domain photos of all kinds of rockets that have been built and flown over the last 60+ years, someone, somewhere would have put up decent high-resolution images of our favorite scale subjects.

Where are they all besides stuck in some hobbyist's file cabinet somewhere?

You'd think with 1000's of public domain photos of all kinds of rockets that have been built and flown over the last 60+ years, someone, somewhere would have put up decent high-resolution images of our favorite scale subjects.

Where are they all besides stuck in some hobbyist's file cabinet somewhere?

If you knew the answer to the question why'ed ya ask?
Most of the serious amatuer Rocketry history buffs have litterally tons of NASA photos WE PAID FOR in our files. As the Scale Modelers leave the hobby, retire or pass away most of these collections are either dontated to local museums or chucked in the trash by unknowing relatives.
Many of these b&w or Color photos have not been scanned. Remember Decent Scanners really haven't been around all that long, not to mention High Res scans take a lot of storage space that until recently was also limited and fairly expensive. Happily both of those restrictions have changed in the last few years. Perhaps as time go's along as the modelers build we'll have a chance to Scan and Share what we've collected.
Much of the archives at the National Air and Space Library is in the process of being re-cataloged and scanned we'll have to see how long that takes since they have at least copies of every bit of avaition and Space history complied since the beginning of manned flight;)
Hopefully someday I'll get all the photos and plans in my 6 file draws full processed and scanned...I know I've only scratched a tiny portion of what's been collected over the past 48 or so years.

Last edited:
NARTS !!!

Please. I ordered the Sandhawk data hoping to get a decent print of the red Sandhawk on the launcher out in Tonopah. I got a crappy pixelated print off of a bad ink jet printer.

There's a lot of decent digital photos of sounding rockets out there. Stuff that one can make a decent print on a good printer. Not exactly "camera ready" but good enough. But mostly it's small "thumbnail" type files that look OK on screen, but make lousy prints.

Still searching.

-W

Please. I ordered the Sandhawk data hoping to get a decent print of the red Sandhawk on the launcher out in Tonopah. I got a crappy pixelated print off of a bad ink jet printer.

There's a lot of decent digital photos of sounding rockets out there. Stuff that one can make a decent print on a good printer. Not exactly "camera ready" but good enough. But mostly it's small "thumbnail" type files that look OK on screen, but make lousy prints.

Still searching.

-W

Wolf,

Isn't "Karma" an amazing thing ?

I just happen to have Sandhawk scale data, including pics . . . Not the NARTS stuff.

I hope your e-mail address is still with Windstream,net . . . You've got mail, "Wolfie" !

Dave Fitch

If you need anymore data let me know, although most of mine is Terrier/Sandhawk related. I do have the hi-res jpg of the NARTS single stage picture if you don't already have it.

snip... NASA photos WE PAID FOR in our files....snip
What do tyou mean by that, Micro? Paid for in taxes or paid for as in to aquire them? You don't have to pay for NASA photos. Your taxes cover that.

Or, perhaps, in the days before the internet you had to pay for prints and postage? Just wondering.

Ya know , I have to get off my duff and start scanning my mil days pics in. Deb and I pulled out the file box the otherday of pics. I've got some really good stuff that I can't share.I need to change that!

Back