Chicago Rocket Mafia at LDRS XXX

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mannyskid

Reaction score
I have more pictures but this is it for now, pictures by Sather Ranum (SMR). Justin Farand, Gus piepenburg and I flew my rocket Carbon Nightmare on an L2375 White thunder. This flight really rocked and rolled! It hit 19,000 flat, just above mach 2 at 40 Gees. It was a picture perfect flight/recovery other that the fact that it took me 27 hours to find it! Pretty good for a 3" rocket on an "L"! Post pics if you have 'em!

Manny

Carbon Nightmare takeoff.jpg

Carbon Nightmare close up.jpg

Last edited:
I have more pictures but this is it for now, pictures by Sather Ranum (SMR). Justin Farand, Gus piepenburg and I flew my rocket Carbon Nightmare on an L2375 White thunder. This flight really rocked and rolled! It hit 19,000 flat, just above mach 2 at 40 Gees. It was a picture perfect flight/recovery other that the fact that it took me 27 hours to find it! Pretty good for a 3" rocket on an "L"! Post pics if you have 'em!

Manny

Manny,

I told you you'd get it back--congrats!

-Tim

It all just worked out very good. Right as we were about to leave the event. I stoped to talk to Tim and Jim for a little while, Jim offered to help me find it, he pointed me in the right direction and what do you know, we finally got a signal again. Now, I have to get CJ a present...............

Manny

I have more pictures but this is it for now, pictures by Sather Ranum (SMR). Justin Farand, Gus piepenburg and I flew my rocket Carbon Nightmare on an L2375 White thunder. This flight really rocked and rolled! It hit 19,000 flat, just above mach 2 at 40 Gees. It was a picture perfect flight/recovery other that the fact that it took me 27 hours to find it! Pretty good for a 3" rocket on an "L"! Post pics if you have 'em! Manny

Very nice flight. My 3 inch G10 rocket on an L640 Dual thrust only did 14.5 K. How much did yours weigh? Mine was 13 pounds loaded.

Mine weighed about 18 lbs. The reason why mine went 4500ft. higher is because the L2375 has ~2100 more Ns than the L640.

Manny

Mine weighed about 18 lbs. The reason why mine went 4500ft. higher is because the L2375 has ~2100 more Ns than the L640.

Manny

I was looking at Thrustcurve.org and saw the total of 2225ns which made me wonder how it went higher. After checking the Cesaroni website I see it does have ~2100ns more at 4878ns total. Thrustcurve.org needs an update! Another example of why its important to cross check sources. Anyhow, great pics and nice results on your flight. Are you planning on going with a bigger motor in the future? I want to try the CTI L935 Imax but have heard that it can shred the Acme fin can.

UnNamed54mm.jpg

Jim offered to help me find it, he pointed me in the right direction and what do you know, we finally got a signal again.

Jim would know... He has a LOT of experience finding stuff that flies out-a-sight. Do you have any idea, distance-wise, how far your rocket was laterally? Oklahoma?

Congrats on getting her back. Nice flight.

:clap:

I was looking at Thrustcurve.org and saw the total of 2225ns which made me wonder how it went higher. After checking the Cesaroni website I see it does have ~2100ns more at 4878ns total. Thrustcurve.org needs an update! Another example of why its important to cross check sources. Anyhow, great pics and nice results on your flight. Are you planning on going with a bigger motor in the future? I want to try the CTI L935 Imax but have heard that it can shred the Acme fin can.

UnNamed54mm.jpg

I do plan on going with a bigger motor. At MWP this year I will be competeing in a little drag race with an 8000ns M2000 research load. I would say go with the L935. If you feel uncomfortable, you can always reinforce the fin can.

Jim would know... He has a LOT of experience finding stuff that flies out-a-sight. Do you have any idea, distance-wise, how far your rocket was laterally? Oklahoma?

Congrats on getting her back. Nice flight.

:clap:

Thanks Sather, and thanks for the pics:wink:. I found it aproximately 2.5 miles out from the flight line near that big oil rig to the south of the pasture.

Manny

I want to try the CTI L935 Imax but have heard that it can shred the Acme fin can.

I've seen this flight (the only one?) happen. The conclusion was that it probably was an incident. It was a very old fin can and may have become a little brittle. It also had unknown history.

But the L935 is a powerful motor.

Jeroen

I've seen this flight (the only one?) happen. The conclusion was that it probably was an incident. It was a very old fin can and may have become a little brittle. It also had unknown history.

But the L935 is a powerful motor.

Jeroen

I think that is about the only way an ACME fincan can be shredded..Those things are nearly indestructible!

It all just worked out very good. Right as we were about to leave the event. I stoped to talk to Tim and Jim for a little while, Jim offered to help me find it, he pointed me in the right direction and what do you know, we finally got a signal again. Now, I have to get CJ a present...............

Manny

How's about a ChiTown Mafia shirt Xlarge! My skills failed me on Tues, mine [rocket] got away!

Jim, i just learned that you were appointed to a TAP position and wanted to offer my congratulations! Its been along time coming.....sorry we did not get a chance too talk at LDRS but, we will at MWP9.
To the guy who sat down with me 7 years ago and helped me get my L1 and L2 that day at a place call Walcott Ia. I can't think of anyone more deserving than yourself.
If you do not recieve a CRM shirt from Mannyskid at Bong, i will have an extra one from own private stock to donate in October....call it well deserved present.
Take care......

Thank you Gus,

I remember that day well.

A perfectly built black Wildman on a H-123 for L-1

Then after all had left, just you, me & Tim... you had the guts to fly a J-350 using motor ejection, no tracker at Walcott! [After you took the test] In a field surrounded by corn & beans.

Not bad for all in one day!

Unbelievably the darn thing landed ON the grass. Thinking back about that now, would you have done it knowing what you do now? LOL

Jim

Ps. I also remember you saving MY butt by bringing your pad to NSL so I could fly the Gone Bananas on a M-2200 skid in Indiana.

Last edited:
Back