Quest Triton-X

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cydermaster

Reaction score
This kit has caught my eye, whilst surfing, but I can't find any comments/reviews.

Does anybody have one?

Is it any cop? - I know its a 'Quick-Kit', so its going to be plastic-y.

Any pics? ;)

Hobbylinc's site is where I first came accross the Triton. The pic that is on that site is the only one I can find of this bird, and I wondered if anybody had any non-package-art photos of it.

Cheers for posting the link, John. I've brought a few things from Hobbylinc, and I've found them a superb company to deal with (and cheap - especially at the current £/$ exchange rate! ;) ).

Welllllll, I've got one, but it's still in the package.
If you'd like, I could dry fit the parts together and take a pic, but it'd be sometime tomorrow.
It's basically a simple kit: 3 tubes of different diameters joined by plastic transitions, with a plastic fin set. It has a few little red plastic pieces to decorate the fins with.
Actually I could probably build it almost as fast as dry fitting.
I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Tim

Johnnwwa, thanks for posting that link! Quest is still selling Lightning kits. Poor man's Mach Buster. I've only got six left, and they don't last very many flights when your using G80's.
-Braz

Did I say tomorrow? I meant today. Sorry about the wait.
Well here it is. The Triton-X. I've had this rocket in the package for a while and I'm really glad this post got me to build it. I really like the size of it, and the colors are nice too. Haven't flown it yet, but it says it'll get up to 900 ft on a C6, so I should be able to keep it in my yard on a B6. Maybe I'll fly it soon.
Well here'e the pics.
This one is the Triton before adding the little plastic extras.

Tim

And here's all the extras that came with it. It's more than what is shown on the cover art. I didn't use all of them. I went with the cover look. Those little rockets are notched to fit on the outer edge of a fin, but I thought it would be a bit much, so I saved them for something else.

And here it is finished with the extras I decided to use. I hope they don't pop off on landing.

Here it is next to a few other rockets to give you an idea of its size. From left to right are: Chrome Dome (about the same size as most Estes RTF's), Quest Apollo, Triton-X, Blue Ninja, and Fat Boy. The Triton is on its stand, so it's actually about the same length as the Blue Ninja.

Tim

Cheers for the pics, Tim. :D

It looks like a good rocket. Gonna be in my next order.

BTW: I like the outdoor shot - my 4 1/2yr old nephew has one of those Red & Yellow 'Little Tikes' cars. Hes far too big for it, now, but he won't stop playing with it!

Glad you liked it.
Every kid should have one of those cars. I've got 3 kids, ages 1, 2, and 5. They all love to play in that car.

I hope to fly the Triton later today, so maybe I can post some launch pics tonight.

Tim

Oh, and when I say tonight I mean in about 3 days. :D

Tim

Hi all,

A friend of mine is building this kit, and noticed an error in the instructions. In step 4, bottom illustration, it shows the lower transition being glued into the lower and middle body tubes with the upper and lower bulkheads on the transition piece still in place. The instructions never mention cutting away those bulkheads.

If you do this as instructed, you won't be able to pass the shock cord through to the middle tube, where the parachutes ride. The ejection gasses won't be able to get up there either, of course...if you actually got as far as launching it this way I'm sure you'd have a rather spectacular ejection of the motor mount / fin can :)

I wrote to Quest about this and they quickly acknowledged the problem and offered to send my friend a replacement kit. It wasn't necessary, as he actually read the instructions carefully before starting to build, but this was a nice offer and I wanted to mention it.

I don't know what Quest will do about the instuctions, but I was impressed with their rapid and friendly reply, and wanted to let the group know about it, and the problem in the instructions.

Cheers.

I built one and flew it last year. It flies great, about 800 ft on a c6-5. It came with two chutes but I just tied the elastic to the upper body section, then connected chute to upper section. I launched it twice and it recovered good like that. Do yourself a favor and use cya when connecting the body tubes to the plastic parts. If you like that rocket try the Quest penetrator, it is very similar only larger.

Originally posted by JSvolfan
I built one and flew it last year. It flies great, about 800 ft on a c6-5. It came with two chutes but I just tied the elastic to the upper body section, then connected chute to upper section. I launched it twice and it recovered good like that. Do yourself a favor and use cya when connecting the body tubes to the plastic parts. If you like that rocket try the Quest penetrator, it is very similar only larger.

I have the Quest Apollo, which is similar to the Triton-X, only each body tube section is the next smaller size. It's currently under construction, and I am using CA to glue the transitions to the body tubes.

Hi all,

A friend of mine is building this kit, and noticed an error in the instructions. In step 4, bottom illustration, it shows the lower transition being glued into the lower and middle body tubes with the upper and lower bulkheads on the transition piece still in place. The instructions never mention cutting away those bulkheads.

If you do this as instructed, you won't be able to pass the shock cord through to the middle tube, where the parachutes ride. The ejection gasses won't be able to get up there either, of course...if you actually got as far as launching it this way I'm sure you'd have a rather spectacular ejection of the motor mount / fin can :)

I wrote to Quest about this and they quickly acknowledged the problem and offered to send my friend a replacement kit. It wasn't necessary, as he actually read the instructions carefully before starting to build, but this was a nice offer and I wanted to mention it.

I don't know what Quest will do about the instuctions, but I was impressed with their rapid and friendly reply, and wanted to let the group know about it, and the problem in the instructions.

Cheers.

I was working on this build just today and did not notice the instructions before starting to build it!! I was able to cut one side of the bulkhead because only one side was glued. Then, I got the drill out with various bits and eventually chewed threw enough plastic that I feel confident that the ejection gases will make it to the top and push out the nose cone. I know this is an old thread, but it is the first that came up when I researched this build!

I used plastic cement for the tube connectors/bulkheads - not as clean as I would have liked, but I think it should work. Why do some of you recommend CA glue for those? I assume not the thin stuff, but the thicker one? Stronger than plastic cement I assume? Anyways, it's built now - just parachute and stickers tomorrow. Hopefully it will fly well!

Bristen.

The Triton X was one of our first rockets almost ten years ago. I was always impressed with the altitudes on C6 motors! I too used a single parachute.

I am on constant lookout for alternatives to Estes E2X rockets. I stumbled on to Quest "Quick Kits" late last year. I have collected an assortment of Quest Triton-X, Penetrator, Seeker, Q4C and others. I have flown them quite a few times.

Based on my experience with these rockets, I have two suggestions: First, add an additional launch lug towards the top of the main body tube. Second, as others have mentioned don't mess with the "dual parachute" design. I have found these rockets to be much more reliable if you build them "Estes style" with a single parachute.

Yes, there are mistakes in the instructions. Yes, these kits occasionally come with reducers that need to be modified. Yes, Triton-X and Seeker occasionally come white nose cones. Yes, the nose cone parts for Q4C are molded poorly. I have exchanged emails with Quest and they are aware of these issues.

That being said, now that I have learned the idiosyncrasies of these rockets they can be reliable and fun to fly. Seeker flies well with a B and jumps off the launcher with a C. Triton-X is OK with a B and really nice with a C. Penetrator needs a C. I would love to see what Penetrator would fly like with a D...

Back