binoculars?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atticus

Old and in the way
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for binoculars to track rockets.
Thanks, Tim

I use bino's at every launch I attend.. Makes the launch much more interesting, instead of just looking for it, you are actually watching the event, etc... I purchased bino's that I could use at night also, wanted something with widefield. Orion telescopes makes great binos.. Here is the link https://www.telescope.com/jump.jsp?itemID=353&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1,2,5,37&KickerID=583&KICKER I purchased the 10x50's. Big enough to see pretty close, but also light enough to hold without shaking.. For another neat accessory, look into getting a photo tripod and use an adapter to connect the binos to it. Sit in your easy chair and the make the mount do all the work!! Good luck...

Here is what I know about binoculars.

The numbers are Magnification x Objective Lens diameter.
12x50
12 is the magnification, it makes images appear 12 times closer than they really are.
50 is the diameter of the "Objective" lens in millimeters; the objective lens is the one away from your face.
3-9x40
Variable magnification, 3 times to 9 times.
40 mm obj lens.
The stronger the magnification the "bigger" the viewed object will appear.
The problem is that any shake or wobble you create will also appear more significant.
The larger the Obj lens the more light that passes through; the more light the more crisp and bright the image (more vivid colors).
If you divide the Obj diameter number by the mag number you get what is called the "exit pupil".
The higher that number the better the image will appear, upto around 5.
50/12=4.167.
Not bad; 5 is really about the max most people will benifit from.
I have a pair of binos that are 16x32; exit pupil is 2.
That's crappy kind of low, but for a hunter or infantryman scanning the woods or fields for movement of pray/targets and not worried about pretty images, they work pretty well; you don't want them for watching rockets.

I'd suggest a pair of 10x50 or 12x50 for the light transmission.
Don't worry too much if at all about variable magnification; during a rocket flight you won't have time to be tinkering with it anyway.

One other thing to consider, especially if you wear glasses (I'm near sighted, ie, can read fine without glasses, but need them to see distant) is to look for a pair that has adjustable diopter on BOTH eyepieces.
Diopter is the ability to turn the eyepiece to focus it for your eyes.
Most can have the diopter adjusted on the right eyepiece, but not both.
This just means that the left eye is not focused all that well and just sort of fills in the image mostly; usually pretty well, but....
You may look through a pair with the right eye only adjustable and think "that's OK", but when you get a chance to look through a pair that can have both adjusted and take the time to do it, there's a BIG differance.
At least IMNSHO.
Also, from my experience, forget about trying to wear glasses and use binos.
Doesn't work.

In summary, students,
Get your own binos.
Get them set for YOU.
Don't let others used them too much.
Take care of them.
Be willing to spend more than the $29.99 at Wacky World.
Unless you've looked through the same model, don't order them.
LOOK through the ones you buy before you buy.
If they won't let you take them out of the clam-shell packaging, go elsewhere.
Take care of them.

When binos work, Tony says it best, "They're GRRRRRREAT!".
A cheap pair is a hassle and will end up being a waste of money.

Uh, does this help?

Greg

Note also that the higher the magnification, the smaller the angle being viewed - if you use very high magnification binocs, you'll get a nice close-up view of the rocket provided you can actually keep track of it!

I'm not convinced of the advantage of diopter adjustment on both lenses. In theory, they're both adjustable anyway. Block the right lens, focus using the left only; then block the left lens, unblock the right lens, and focus the right using the diopter adjustment.

Normally, as usual with optics, you get what you pay for. However, I've had surprisingly good results from a brand called Piccolo - mine are 10x25. They're cheap normally and were even cheaper at the airshow. (I don't know if this is true in the US, but in the UK, don't buy your binoculars from a high street shop. Go to an airshow. Among the vendors there will be some selling binoculars and cameras cheaper than the normal street shop prices.) I was able to compare these to other binoculars of similar specification from other manufacturers, and found that they easily outperformed similarly priced models for brightness and clarity, and matched significantly more expensive models. (These are compact binoculars, the type you can put in your pocket. I like to travel light. :))

Originally posted by 11Bravo
Also, from my experience, forget about trying to wear glasses and use binos.
Doesn't work.

If you wear glasses, the really important specification is "eye relief". This is basically how far away your pupil can be away from the binocular, and still see the whole field of view. A minimum eye relief for eyeglass wearers is maybe 14mm, longer is better. I have some bausch & lomb with 16mm eye relief, and fold down rubber eye cups, and they work just fine with my glasses. Look specifically for "long eye relief" binoculars, and make sure to try them with your glasses.

-Paul

Tim, the Orion site is a good recommendation. Go to it, read the information on binoculars, & request their catalog. I've been interesting in rocketry & astronomy since the late 1960s. I'm 52 now.

If you primarily intend to use the binoculars in the daytime for rocket activity, I'd recommend some "extremely wide angle" 7X35s or 8X40s. Get porro prisms, not roof, unless size is a MAJOR factor. Look for something lightweight. Even the least expensive pair from Orion will be suitable for rocketry use, but I'd recommend getting the best pair you can afford.

If you are thinking about buying from Orion, if you wish, let me know by PM. I have a recent catalog & can make recommendations from it. Good luck.

Tim, You might check the Orion clearance area. They have a couple of models of 8X40s(2nds) that are very well priced. Both have at least 9 degree fields & even the pair that is <$40.00 would be adequate for use at a rocket launch.

Tim

I would suggest going to https://bhphotovideo.com/

They are the best source of cameras and optics that I am aware of and carry virtually everything and generally have the best prices.

I would suggest you purchase a wide-field binocular with a long eye relief. The most useful maginfications are between 6 and 8 if you hand-hold. Anything more powerful is likely to have a field of view that is too small to easily follow a rocket, and if you aren't very stable, shake effects your ability to keep the rocket within your field of view. The long eye relief is a must if you wear glases, and if you don't want to keep the binoculars firmly on your head.

Many folks believe that 7x50 is the ideal size. It great for night vision since your pupil diameter is 7 mm fully open, and the exit pupil of this binocular is 50/7 = 7.1mm so it doesn't limit the light gathered by your eye. Since you would be using the binocular in daylight at 7x35 is a good compromise, being lighter, and the exit pupil is still 35/7 = 5 mm, much larger than your pupil in daylight.

I would also suggest that you make sure the binoculars chosen are waterproof and fog proof so they work well in all weather conditions. The optics also should be anti-reflection coated to maximized brightness and contrast.

Don't cheap out, but don't get suckered in by some of the high price brands. Expect to pay $100-$200 for a decent pair of binoculars.

The Konica Minolta Activa WP-FP series appears to be a high quality line of reasonably priced binoculars. They have a decent range of powers. It appears to be the KM top line, and at the BH low prices, this is the only KM series I would consider.

My first suggestion would be the Konica Minolta 7x35 Activa WP-FP Weatherproof & Fogproof Wide Angle Porro Prism Binocular with 9.3-Degree Angle of View Mfr# 8460117 • B&H# MI7X35A B&H Kit Price: $ 134.95

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...818&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Other variants are here.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=

All power variations are listed at the Konica Minolta USA website below.

https://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/epris...uct_pages/Activa_WP_FP?mDetail=Specifications

Of the same quality, but a bit heavier, is the Nikon Action EX Extreme WP/FP series.

My first choice in Nikon would be the Nikon 7x35 Action EX Extreme Waterproof & Fogproof Wide Angle Porro Prism Binocular with 9.3-Degree Angle of View Mfr# 7237 • B&H# NI7X35AE Price: $129.95

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...406&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

The rest of the Action EX Extreme series is here.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...&b=2&shs=&ci=11480&ac=&Submit.x=12&Submit.y=8 and sort for price.

The Nikon USA website for these is

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/group.php?group=13&subgroup=142

Canon make a number of image stabalized binoculars. The only reasonalbly priced one is the Canon 8x25 IS Image Stabilized Porro Prism Binocular with 6.6-Degree Angle of View Mfr# 7562A002 • B&H# CA8X25 Price: $ 249.95 Rebate Available $ 50.00 Price After Rebate: $ 199.95

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...431&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

The rest of the Canon line is pricey.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=DTYh8DQjtM!1028225190?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=

Here's the Canon website.

https://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=107

But the way, the above choices are also good for general use as well.

Bob Krech

Thanks for the suggestions.
I had a pair of B & L 8 X 40's years ago, but they disappeared years ago before I got back into rocketry. I been using an old pair of WW I signal corps glasses - way to much magnification.
My main concern is if 12 (or even 10) mag would give too small a field of view to be practicable and conversely if 7 would be enough. I saw a pair of 7 X 35 (I think Minolta) with tripod mount that were reasonably priced, but I was looking for a telescope accessory at the time and didn't make a note. I 'm not in a rush.
Maybe I'll save the money and bid on Garcia's toilets-Heh Heh.
BTW I do wear glasses and learned early on to take them off.
Thanks again, Tim

I know with my widefield binos from Orion that are 10x50s, I have no problem watching a rocket go up. Having widefield bak4 binos is the best thing for me in rocketry. To be honest, I would rather watch with these, then launch my own....

Latest posts

Back