Well, well, well LDRS 04 dates set

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrogers

Reaction score
Geneseo NY 7/1/04 through 7/6/04

Who's goin?

Joel
L2

I will definitely be attending as this will be my FIRST LDRS! It should be a blast, litterally! ;)

Carl

I hope to make it. Should be a great time. Hopefully I will have two big rockets ready. Maybe I will be able to pour my own propellant for the EX days. If I am not ready for that I will get someone to pour it for me.

I am so exited already:D :D

Oh, I'll be there in full flying force!!! 6" Der V3 upscale with a 54mm and 2 38mm, flying on at least 2 J350W's, maybe a K in the central, depends on what my job is!

I am seriously looking forward to this launch, I will get to meet ther Legendary Carl Tulanko and Sandman!

FlisKits hopes to be there. I am not sure of our schedules and that may interfere with my Alaska fishing trip (that's when the King Salmon run)

jim

I might go... that is the same week as my Church's bible camp that I goto every week. I am thinking about going to the camp in Penn View, PA instead which is latter in the year... so if I go to that, my schedual would be clear for LDRS (Unless my new work scheudual does not allow it).

I can't think of a better way to spend the Fourth! Hopefully the wife will agree...:D

There is NO EXCUSE for any of us East-Coasters to miss this. Who knows when any of us would be able to make it out west?

This forum has an uncanny ability to make me think of lines from Animal House or the Blues Brothers:

"ROAD TRIP!"

"We're on a mission from God."

"We've got half a tank of gas, a pack of cigarettes, and it's six hours to Buffalo."

All of us midwesterners should plan on meeting at Magnum June 30th and have ourselves a convoy...
:cool:

East coast LDRS... *mumbles* it's SO far away *mumbles* why can't they move it out west like it used to be then I could go AND fly a high altitude project *mumbles* If only my parents would let me drive cross country with a truck full of rockets and my best friend we'd be all set *mumbles*...

Hmmm... gotta think about that last one ;)

Y'all have a good time now! What are you guys planning on flying? :D

I told you about the 6" Der V3, K550W and 2 J350W's, equating to my first L powered flight.

Maybe my Magnum on a K.

A whole bunch of RATT motors, maybe a 29mm Minimum diameter on an I80!!!

Lil Nuke on the H220T that we didn't fly this year!

and other pending projects

Originally posted by jrogers

Who's goin?

Joel
L2

Joel:

Big rockets on the 4th. That's kind of like leagal fireworks.
Hope your going to bring another M to fly.

Blast I forgot I'll have to work there!

Well I've got a few months to figure out what to build and how to get some time to fly it.

Al Sterner
BRS BOD
:D

Yep, I'll be bringing at least one "M" to cert with and another for sh&*% and giggles ( Maybe an M2500 or M3000 )

Joel
L2

I will be there for sure, already booked the days off at work. I hope to do my L3 cert using a Smokin' Rockets Amraam (my winter build project). I'll have to figure out an interesting combination of motors for the Mission Impossible and Bruiser-EXP, don't know what else I'll be flying.

Yep, I'll be bringing at least one "M" to cert with and another for sh&*% and giggles ( Maybe an M2500 or M3000 )

Joel
L2

Cool. Last time I had heard there were more than 20 M+ flights already in the works.

Probably won't be doing the M thing myself. Just got started playing with floating injector hybrids. Probably do something in the L range for LDRS - like a 7.5" Nike Smoke on an L.

Al

Which rocketry club is sponsoring the July 1-6, 2004 LDRS event in Geneseo, NY? Is it the Buffalo Rocket Society (BRS, https://www.buffalorocketsociety.org/ ), Monroe Astronautical Rocket Society (MARS, https://www.marsclub.org/ ), or some other club in that area? Neither of those web sites have anything about LDRS.

What will be the FAA waiver for HPR flights during LDRS? Geneseo, NY is east of Buffalo and south of Rochester, NY. When I visit my mom next summer, I may swing over there for a look....

Originally posted by daveyfire
East coast LDRS... *mumbles* it's SO far away *mumbles* why can't they move it out west like it used to be then I could go AND fly a high altitude project *mumbles* If only my parents would let me drive cross country with a truck full of rockets and my best friend we'd be all set *mumbles*...

Well, good news and bad news. LDRS '05 is in southern Alberta, Canada (cross the border from Montana... or if you have time, come up through Washington State, and take beautiful British Columbia Provincial Hwy 3 through the mountains), or so I hear. Good news: it's out west, and I doubt you'll have any problems bringing your rocket stuff across the border. Bad news: I don't know how easy it will be to bring your rocket stuff back into the United States.

We don't keep track of people buying rocket motors, but if you buy more than two bottles of drain cleaner at once, you're a suspected drug lab operator. ;)

I'll be at LDRS '05... I plan on setting the Complex H-Impulse altitude record there. There's no Canadian record yet, so I can set that, and if nobody improves on the Tripoli record by then, I'll crack that too. :D

o man its gonna be so cool, I am gonna try to build some big stuff hopefully I will be ablet to do it in time!

Originally posted by dluders
Which rocketry club is sponsoring the July 1-6, 2004 LDRS event in Geneseo, NY? Is it the Buffalo Rocket Society (BRS, https://www.buffalorocketsociety.org/ ), Monroe Astronautical Rocket Society (MARS, https://www.marsclub.org/ ), or some other club in that area? Neither of those web sites have anything about LDRS.

What will be the FAA waiver for HPR flights during LDRS? Geneseo, NY is east of Buffalo and south of Rochester, NY. When I visit my mom next summer, I may swing over there for a look....

The Buffalo Rocket Society is sponsoring LDRS 23 in Geneseo.

The standard 8000' AGL will be in effect. Windows to 10K may be available.

Since I'm not the web site designer I can't comment on the web site. There will be a LDRS web site and there will be a link off the BRS home page. For the moment email any questions to the president.

Al:)

Justy, which Canadian rocketry club is sponsoring LDRS 2005? Where in Alberta will the event be held? The SPokane Area Rocket Club (SPARC) folks in Eastern Washington State can easily drive up there. We can get to Calgary in about 8 hours; XPRS at the Black Rock Desert is 13 hours away.

You bring up a good point about whether we'll be able to bring any HPR stuff BACK into the United States. My LEUP is only good for INTERSTATE transportation of APCP, not INTERNATIONAL transportation. I guess I'll have to use up everything at the launch, or buy some of those Canadian Cesaroni Pro38 reloads on-site!

Justy, which Canadian rocketry club is sponsoring LDRS 2005? Where in Alberta will the event be held? The SPokane Area Rocket Club (SPARC) folks in Eastern Washington State can easily drive up there. We can get to Calgary in about 8 hours; XPRS at the Black Rock Desert is 13 hours away.
I'm honestly not sure who's handling LDRS 2005. I would expect it to be any of the Canadian Association of Rocketry, Calgary Rocketry Association, or Lethbridge Rocketry Association.

I -think- LDRS 2005 is being held at a large prairie farm about 30min SE of Taber, or about an hour ESE of Lethbridge. It's the traditional site for the yearly Roc Lake launch, and the Sullivan Lake launch was held there this year due to the forest fire risk around its usual site. I went there for Sullivan Lake, the terrain is flat with the occasional gash with a creek at the bottom. There are no trees. There are a couple of oil pumps on the horizon. Somewhere out there is a pile of powder that once was a rocket with a tracking transmitter and a deployment altimeter that wasn't armed (*bip* *bip* *bip* *bip* *bip* ... ... ... "I guess it's down."). I don't know why they call these launches xxx Lake, because the nearest lake I saw was at least 10km away. Those crazy Albertans just get too much sun, I guess.

The site is big enough to launch pretty much anything you like. The most powerful amateur rocket ever launched in Canada, a scale model of a French "Dauphin" sounding rocket powered by an Pro150 O + 2 L's, was launched at Roc Lake this year.

But I could be wrong. The club handling the launch will set up a website closer to the event, then there will be details a-plenty.

You bring up a good point about whether we'll be able to bring any HPR stuff BACK into the United States. My LEUP is only good for INTERSTATE transportation of APCP, not INTERNATIONAL transportation. I guess I'll have to use up everything at the launch, or buy some of those Canadian Cesaroni Pro38 reloads on-site!
We appreciate any and all contributions to the Canadian economy, including but not limited to supporting on-site rocketry vendors, hotel reservations, and ensuring that Luigi's Pizza in Taber (best steak I've ever had, Alberta beef rocks) is constantly packed.

Justy, I know what the LDRS 2005 site is like. In 1980, a college friend and I biked across the Canadian Rockies and ended up in Medicine Hat, Alberta. The last 110-mile day biking across the FLAT, DRY high plains area was memorable. We could easily see 12-15 miles ahead down the road. There are prickly-pear cactus and antelope out there. It's a great place to launch rockets (if it's not too windy).... :))

Who's goin?

Joel
L2

If I can find the time I am going to do my L3 - 12 ft high, 11.5" diameter carbon V2 on an AT M1939 and/or HyperTek M. It's going to be a blast.

Originally posted by als57
The Buffalo Rocket Society is sponsoring LDRS 23 in Geneseo.

The standard 8000' AGL will be in effect. Windows to 10K may be available.

Since I'm not the web site designer I can't comment on the web site. There will be a LDRS web site and there will be a link off the BRS home page. For the moment email any questions to the president.

Al:)

Did somebody say web site designer? :cool: Present.

The site is under devlopement and I expect to have something of substance up over the coming weekend.

For now you can set your book mark to: www.ldrs23.org

cheetahanim.gif

Doug aka Cheetah
LDRS23 Web dude

Originally posted by Justy
Well, good news and bad news. LDRS '05 is in southern Alberta, Canada (cross the border from Montana... or if you have time, come up through Washington State, and take beautiful British Columbia Provincial Hwy 3 through the mountains), or so I hear. Good news: it's out west, and I doubt you'll have any problems bringing your rocket stuff across the border. Bad news: I don't know how easy it will be to bring your rocket stuff back into the United States.

We don't keep track of people buying rocket motors, but if you buy more than two bottles of drain cleaner at once, you're a suspected drug lab operator. ;)

I'll be at LDRS '05... I plan on setting the Complex H-Impulse altitude record there. There's no Canadian record yet, so I can set that, and if nobody improves on the Tripoli record by then, I'll crack that too. :D

No problem crossing the border either way with rocketry stuff - EXCEPT motors, etc. Plan to purchase motors and fly them, which is what I generally do anyway.

Murray

Im comin! I have a ton to fly. A lot of Hs and Is, proabably, and defintetly one L2 motor. Still dont have a rocket for that, but it is coming.

I was wondering if anyone on these forums is either a part of BRS or knows the contact information for someone involved that I could email with specific questions I have about LDRS 2004.

Back