2.6" Javelin Modroc

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnie

Reaction score
All,

Sept 1998 I certified L1 on a Vaughn Brothers 2.6" Javelin, thereby proving that a mid-power Vaughn Brothers kit can handle High Power without any re-enforcement. I lost my L1 bird to an under-powered G33 that did not come up to preasure, where it plowed my Javelin into the pasture, sacrificing everything but the fin can.

I purchased yet another VBR 2.6" Javelin from Discount Rocketry a year ago, and squirled it away...Nearly 4 years to the day since I certed L1, I have completed all but painting my HPR Modroc Javelin.

Here is the 1st picture showing the main mod which is swapping the 10" long 29mm motor mount, with the 24" long 54mm motor mount. Also in the picture is the fin cuts needed so the fin will fit the 54mm mount, inside the 2.6" airframe.

Johnnie Paul

The first order of the day was to mount the fins to the 54mm mount using 5-minute epoxy. I like this method, as all the fins can be mounted in about 30-minutes time. The resulting fin can will be glassed resulting in excellent fin can strength.

Johnnie

it took longer for to post these pics and words than it did to mount all the fins.

here is the 5-minute epoxy fin mount...

Johnnie

...a total of 2 centering rings were added on each side of the fins, for a total of 6 CR's for the motor mount.

Johnnie

...6 ounce glass is added, in the tip to fin tip method. For those unfamiliar, the glass is started at one fin tip,and continues to the tip of the other fin. This gives superb strength.

Johnnie

The tubes are glassed with 1 layer of 6 ounce glass, and the coupler with 2 ounce glass. The airframes will receive an additional layer of a 2 ounce glass "veil" once the fin can has been installed.

Johnnie

The airframe is sanded to remove the "seam", and then the airfrmae is slotted with a Dremel tool to accept the fin can...nice fit too!

Johnnie

to make short work of a couple weeks of work, here is the short:

The second mod was the extended airframe of 6 3/4", which is apparent in this photo. But the finished work included the addition of the 2 ounce glass, and the sanding. On the Verb sanding, we all know what that means, so I will not repeat verbatim how much sanding there was throughout this build, just know I always do my share...

Just for a test run to see what she looked like, here is the finished Vaughn Brothers 2.6" Javelin ala Nude (No Paint) sitting on my new launch pad. Almost looks stock...

Johnnie

don't forget the launch pic Johnnie...
( It may be the the first and last one..! )

I also own a javelin and it scoots just on 29mm loads!!

Here is another pic of the Javelin on the pad, as if it were to launch any minute...good lookin ain't she??:D

Last minute mod post here:

RRC2 in the coupler/electronics bay

Set up for drogueless dual deploy

launch lugs replaced with rail buttons from Railbuttons.com

added extra bulkheads for altimeter bay/coupler, (2) each side. 1 for inside the coupler, and 1 outside.

EX motor hardware will contain eyebolt for hard mount of mid-section shockcord. (Dual deploy only)

fillets on fin outside the airframe made from Bondo Marine epoxy and micro balloons to reduce weight.

This baby will scream on any EX motor, but will reconfigure and gather composure for those G64 loads at the commercial launches...

cheers

Johnnie Paul

Action shot of the VB Javelin.

Named "Grey Ghost from Coast to Coast" The Javelin recently flew @ Tripoli South Carolina's EX weekend on Nov. 8th & 9th. Weighing a mere 4.5 pounds at liftoff, the Javelin reached an Altitude of 3,362 ft. on a KNCP "I" motor.

Johnnie Paul

Final pics to officially end this thread;

My Javelin sporting a new blue PJ, and launching on a 29mm SRS H78 motor.

these next three photos are coutesy of Ray Cole from HARA.

last pic of the rocket on it's way to 1,189 ft.

This thread ends because the following day a 38mm KNDX motor CATO's in the javelin disentigrating the booster of the Javelin...R.I.P. :(

Bummer, man. Hey, at least it was a sweet model that got some good flights in!

That's a real bummer about the CATO. And the rocket was looking so nice... Too bad you never put a 54mm motor in there:)
Reed

EDIT: was the KNCP motor a 54mm? I was assuming it wasn't.

Are you using cloth(twill weave) that they use for body shops on the tubes and finishing glass after that? What is veil glass? I have trouble in cloth comparison,, could you send a pic of the cloth used for strength and a cloth used for finishing, if possible.
Thanks.
Mark

Originally posted by Johnnierkt
The tubes are glassed with 1 layer of 6 ounce glass, and the coupler with 2 ounce glass.

Originally posted by Mag
Are you using cloth(twill weave) that they use for body shops on the tubes and finishing glass after that? What is veil glass? I have trouble in cloth comparison,, could you send a pic of the cloth used for strength and a cloth used for finishing, if possible.
Thanks.
Mark

Originally posted by Johnnierkt
The tubes are glassed with 1 layer of 6 ounce glass, and the coupler with 2 ounce glass.

The 6oz glass has a very large weave, and needs to be covered with a fine weave glass to make for a smoother finish. The finer 2oz glass makes for a nice "veil" covering.

Originally posted by Reed Goodwin
That's a real bummer about the CATO. And the rocket was looking so nice... Too bad you never put a 54mm motor in there:)
Reed

EDIT: was the KNCP motor a 54mm? I was assuming it wasn't.

Although outfitted with a 54mm mount, this rocket never saw service with a motor that big in diameter. There was a good photo taken by the BRB TRA president of the CATO, but he has not released it yet.

Here is the last picture of the javelin. The payload was blown out of the picture frame at this point...:kill:

:(

photo coutesy of Lee Brock

Back