Magnum on a K670GG?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPatell

Reaction score
I bought a K670GG this past week, and I will be putting it in my Magnum!:) I have to wonder though, do you think it will hold together? It's body tube is unreinforced LOC 5.5" BT. The coupler has been internally glassed with 4oz. glass. The fins are glassed to the MMT with 7.5 oz glass. After it's first flight, the tube kinked above the fins, but it was glassed with 4oz. so I imagine it's tougher now than it was before. The weight with everything but the motor is 11lbs even. Rocksim says 5223 ft. at 509mph. Is flying it the only way to find out if it will hold together??:rolleyes:

Are you going to launch it at the September Invitational? I'm going on sunday. I have to work on saturday.:(

Yea, I dunno what day yet, prolly Saturday, but Sunday if the weather's better.

I want everyone's opinion on strength:)

Doug Gardei, aka N3TJM, has flown his Magnum on J500's several times. He has told me that is starting to develop stress marks. I would say no, don't fly it on the K670. Try something gentler, like a J350 or J415.

Jason

I would say no, don't fly it on the K670. Try something gentler, like a J350 or J415.

True, but I'm sure many Magnums have flown on K's like this. If one part of the tube kinked on a previous flight, and that part was glassed, you should be ok considering that was probably the rockets biggest weak spot. So, really, you never know. And if you have go fever like I do, well, yeah do it! I think you were right in saying that flying it is the only way to find if it says together:D

IMHO

I think the tube will be fine...your main problem would be fins coming off. But, since they are glassed on it shouldnt be a problem.

I agree with marv!

I forgot to mention the first flight was a J460T, and after the crimp and repair it flew on a J350W with no issues.

that magnum could be flown on an M with glassing the tube, it is just a matter of how the fins are attached, but since you glassed them with 7.5oz. it should fare just fine on the K and come back asking for more.

I would take the paint off the fins and do a tip to tip layup of fiberglass. Glassing them to the motor mount keeps them from being ripped off, but it doesn't stop fin flutter. Better yet, use carbon fiber if you have it.

Nah... don't even need that... Ken Finwall used to fly his stock Magnum on K1100Ts all the time with no problem... I even saw him put it up with an experimental L350 that went 14,000 feet, but then it came in ballistic... you should be fine. Take pictures! :D

If you do it, pretty please wait til sunday?:( I'm only going to be making a couple flights. My Tethys will be going up on an H210R. Me and my cousin decided to have some fun with that rocket. We stuck a 6 foot military surplus cargo chute in it. Should come down nice and slow.:) My extreme performer will go up on an I284 with a cool mil surplus chute. It's the 36" ballistic drouge from Aerocon. That should be pretty cool. I'll probably fly my Aerotech HV Arcas on an F40W.

What else have you got planned? You and your dad always have cool stuff.

Stupid me had to edit because I couldn't spell "and" right.

Yea I'm gonna do it! It's gonna be awesome! Nick, if you fund it, I'll wait...;) I will have to see what the weather's like for both days, if it's real nice Sat. I'll do it, but I'd like to wait for you!

We're also going to fly these:

Alien Enterprises Monocopter 24 on an AT E6 longburn!!!

Loc Lil Nuke on an H220T

4" PE Bull Pup on a J570W

4" Rocket R&D Standard Arm on a J350W

38mm Monocopter on an Ellis H48 (Still up in the air)

38mm Minimum Diameter on an H180W

NCR Phantom on an H128

NCR Big Brute on an H128

Loc Stovi on a G64W (My little bro's, so it's a must fly once or twice)

and finally....My dad's 6" Lil' Nuke Upscale on a K240 RATT, fully fiberglassed this time after blowing it up.

Should keep us busy:D

Here she is all ready to fly! I tried my hand at some Duplicolor, so the upper tube and the flames (gimme a break, my first shot at them, kinda lame!!:D ) are Metal Flake Blue. Looks good to me, here's hoping she flies well.

The "Fred" on the fin is for my deceased grandfather.

Go here : https://www.geocities.com/dpatell2000/DanRockets.html?1062456743171 to see a pic, at the bottom of the page!

Back