Carl's AGM-65A-X Maverick

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketmaniac

Reaction score
I was looking through some of the scratch built reviews on EMRR and came across Carl Tulanko's AGM-65A-X Maverick.

Carl, I must say that is a very beautiful rocket!!!!! I too really like the military missiles. The Maverick is kind of special to me because I worked on the A-10 while I was stationed at Myrtle Beach AFB, SC and was able to see these missiles up close. Someday I will build me one, but I am not sure will be able to come close to yours.

Again, beautiful rocket.

Randy,

Glad you liked it man...it was one of the most challenging builds I ever completed and I finally got it tuned in at NARAM 45 an few weeks ago. It weighed in at over 8 1/2 pounds (lots of noseweight) and flew great on an I211W-Med ... Rocketman248 got a great shot I attached below and SCM86 got a good video. The pic is cool...it looks almost like a real one since the flame is longer than the rocket! :) All I need now is some more reloads.

<a target="_blank" href="https://www.rocketryforum.com/reviews/mav.jpg">Maverick AGM-65A on a I211W at NARAM 45</a>

Thanks again,

Carl

Carl,

She needs a slightly bigger moter to look prototypical. The flame needs to be a wee bit longer.

I think it needs to launch horizontally too!

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
Carl,

Wait a minute.... Is that picture real? A Maverick being launched from a F-16? Or was that during the time the AF was trying to replace the A-10 with F-16? The F-16 will NEVER be able to handle the punishment the A-10 took!!!!!!!!

Carl-----Have any thoughts of doing a fullscale missile in a 13.5" diameter? I have the data if you have the desire. (What am I thinking? of course you have the desire---you're incurable!
Probably gonna need an M though.

Carl,

She needs a slightly bigger moter to look prototypical. The flame needs to be a wee bit longer.

sandman

And you definantly need to get one of those F16s too :D

hey CTimm...is that a Maverick in your garage? :D

Carl has an F-16 (unless he's sold it - which I doubt). A Byron Originals, ducted fan, radio controlled, F-16. I hauled it from Ohio to Minnesota and back.

If you ask him nicely, he *might* post a pic of it (even though that would be kind of OT).

Originally posted by KenParker
Carl has an F-16 ..............If you ask him nicely, he *might* post a pic of it (even though that would be kind of OT).

Carl Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee post of pic of your F-16.

Originally posted by KenParker
Carl has an F-16 (unless he's sold it - which I doubt). A Byron Originals, ducted fan, radio controlled, F-16. I hauled it from Ohio to Minnesota and back.

If you ask him nicely, he *might* post a pic of it (even though that would be kind of OT).

Does that mean it has a real jet engine?

A ducted fan uses a highly modified 2 stroke single cylinder model aircraft engine to drive a fan in a closely fitting shroud (hence the term "ducted fan"). Ducted fans turn in the neighborhood of 20K rpm (maybe more) at full throttle. It is not a "real" jet engine. "Real" jet engines turn in the neighborhood of 100K rpm.

Although..... they do have those now. And I think they are down in price from what they used to be - they only cost in the neighborhood of $5K to $10K now.

Carl has threatened to build a scale jet powered by one of the new miniature jet turbines. That was before some old buddy of his turned him onto MPR and HPR. Don't know who that would have been.
:rolleyes: :D :cool:

Originally posted by Ryan S.
And you definantly need to get one of those F16s too :D

hey CTimm...is that a Maverick in your garage? :D

Not a Maverick. Not my garage.
Its a SUPER FALCON (I think).

I flew my "visual aid" BT55 boilerplate model at NARAM-45.
I hope to have the drawings done soon to submit to Sport Rocketry. Just a few close-ups of the details need to be done.

I flew it on A8-3's, B4-2's, B6-4's, C6-3's and C6-5's.
All from the HPR pad!!! Much to the amusement of CTulanko.

It really could have used a D12 or E9.

Chris,

I gotta ask before someone else does.

WHY do you have it in your garage?

This otta be good!

sandman

Chris,

I gotta ask before someone else does.

WHY do you have it in your garage?

This otta be good!

sandman

I guess that the neighbors would notice if he put it in the flower garden ;)

That has got to be one of the funniest pics I've ever seen!!!! Nice looking rocket, but the rail is almost as wide as the rocket!!! I love it!

Loopy

Carl,

sandman

I agree. How about a J570:D Maybe a J350:)

Nick,

GREAT choice...the J350 would be cool, but I am willing to bet the J570 would actually work and it should still stay together since it's build pretty tough. The only problem I see is parachute deployment...it would have to be a way calm day.

OK, I will give in to the prodding...back when I originally designed and built the Maverick, I planned on doing a 6" half scale version, followed by a full scale 12" diameter 8 foot long version. ALL THREE Versions were designed at the time and I built the smallest of the three, but still have all my data and RockSim files for the other two designs.

I have so many things on my wish plate, but since this would be the least expensive of a few of the projects, it is do-able...maybe by Spring, 2004. We will see and I am a bit more excited now that I have the CG worked out; besides, I really want a 12" model!

Carl

The mavericks they use to train the Aviation Ordinancemen how to attach the missiles to the planes don't have the set of aft fins. They have the large triangular fins but not the small rectangular fins. Also, the camera on the front is replaced with a piece of a hard rubber like substance. I was at an airshow yesterday and I saw a bunch of mavericks on the static display planes. For some reason, I didn't take any pictures of them. Sorry.

Nick - I went Saturday! I thought it was pretty cool, the jet truck...drool....

Back on topic, I saw the Mav's too, and took pictures. The Sidewinders were pretty cool...I have a feeling I wasn't the only person to take off the nose protector and have a look:rolleyes: Everyone at the show was sitting there going "Wow, that looks like a fast plane!" I was the only one saying "Wow...full scale model? Dad, help me with the funds??" :D

Back