L2 Test Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketmaniac

Reaction score
Well I have decided I am going to try for level 2 during our (Orangeburg SC) annual Freedom Launch over the Labor Day weekend. I have started studying the test........ And after 10 minutes..... I have a question.......

In the first section, Applicable Regulations.......

Question A6

What is the maximum launch weight allowable for a rocket when complying with the FAA notification requirements?

A. 4 ounces
B. 4.4 ounces
C. 1 pound
D. 3.3 pounds

Answer D.

3.3 lbs??? Am I missing something here? What about all of the 10-15 lbs rockets I hear about?

Question A7

What is the maximum propellant weight allowable for a rocket when complying with the FAA notification requirements?

A. 4 ounces
B. 4.4 ounces
C. 1 pound
D. 3.3 pounds

Answer B

4.4 ounces??? How much does a J570 or K550 weight?

Originally posted by Rocketmanic
Well I have decided I am going to try for level 2 during our (Orangeburg SC) annual Freedom Launch over the Labor Day weekend. I have started studying the test........ And after 10 minutes..... I have a question.......

Rocket <= 454g, 1 lb. and propellant <= 113g, 4 oz. Unregulated, you need to do nothing.

Rocket <= 1500g, 3.3 lb and/or propellant <= 125g, 4.4 oz. but exceeding unregulated limits. Notification required.

Anything above the second limits requires a waiver that may be denied. Waivers specifically allow exceptions to the FAA regulations.

Notifications tell the FAA you are flying the rocket and are not subject to denial. Flying in the approach path to an airport is not reasonable, obviously, and may bring law enforcement personnel to your launch

In the first section, Applicable Regulations.......

Question A6

What is the maximum launch weight allowable for a rocket when complying with the FAA notification requirements?

A. 4 ounces
B. 4.4 ounces
C. 1 pound
D. 3.3 pounds

Answer D.

3.3 lbs??? Am I missing something here? What about all of the 10-15 lbs rockets I hear about?

Question A7

What is the maximum propellant weight allowable for a rocket when complying with the FAA notification requirements?

A. 4 ounces
B. 4.4 ounces
C. 1 pound
D. 3.3 pounds

Answer B

4.4 ounces??? How much does a J570 or K550 weight?

Again, the larger motors operate under a waiver.

Question A6

A. 4 ounces
B. 4.4 ounces
C. 1 pound
D. 3.3 pounds

Answer D.
~1200 grams. LOC EZI-65 with a H123 just hinges on the the limit. The last time I flew it with a H123 on a notification day, it weighed 1212 grams... I said, "Wait, Let Me Remove the Decals!" :D. That was not neccesary, the RSO put it back on the scale and it weighed 1199 grams... yep, flyable :D

ANything bigger requires a waiver, which can be denied, and cancled at a moments noticed.

Question A7

A. 4 ounces
B. 4.4 ounces
C. 1 pound
D. 3.3 pounds

Answer B

~125 grams. This will give you everything G and Below, plus the loads for the RMS 29/180, RMS 29/240 (excluding the H97), and RMS 38/240 (including the H73).

Originally posted by Rocketjunkie
Rocket <= 454g, 1 lb. and propellant <= 113g, 4 oz. Unregulated, you need to do nothing.

Rocket <= 1500g, 3.3 lb and/or propellant <= 125g, 4.4 oz. but exceeding unregulated limits. Notification required.

Anything above the second limits requires a waiver that may be denied. Waivers specifically allow exceptions to the FAA regulations.

sooooo, anything up to 1lb you really need to do anything
anything between 1lb and 3.3lbs notification required
anything over 3.3lbs waiver required

same true for propellant, same three levels

up to 4oz
between 4 and 4.4oz
over 4.4oz

Randy,

I would believe that the 15-17 pound rockets flying on J570's and the like are happening at waivered launches right? If so then the 3.3 lb. and the 4.4oz. limits would only apply on non-waivered launches as a max that you can put into the air without notification to the FAA.

If I am missing something here and there are people you know of flying above the limits without notification...well anyways, good luck with your test, and concern yourself with the correct answers, that is the important part. The flying of the L2 is the best part anyways. We will of course want a full report with pics, mpegs...:)

Johnnie Paul

Originally posted by n3tjm
~1200 grams. LOC EZI-65 with a H123 just hinges on the the limit. The last time I flew it with a H123 on a notification day, it weighed 1212 grams... I said, "Wait, Let Me Remove the Decals!" :D.

Smart move Doug. I remember a story about a car in a race. They weighed the cars and this one went over. some ingenious engineer said "remove the paint". They did so and the car made it in the race

Paint weighs alot :D

I have been doing a bunch of studying..... but I am still more worried about this da%% test than I am about launching the rocket on a "J" motor.

So how many questions are there on the test? How many do you have to get right to pass?

I have been doing a bunch of studying..... but I am still more worried about this da%% test than I am about launching the rocket on a "J" motor.

So how many questions are there on the test? How many do you have to get right to pass?

From NAr website:

"# A written examination is required to demonstrate knowledge of the regulations and laws pertaining to high power rocketry. Questions concerning basic rocket technical knowledge, e.g., center of pressure and center of gravity relationships, will also be included.

1. The examination will contain 33 questions in the multiple choice format.
2. The questions will come from a 50 to 100 question pool of previously published questions and answers.
3. The passing grade is 88%.
4. The test may be taken only once in a 30-day period.
5. The test must be completed prior to the flight attempt. The flight attempt should be made as soon as reasonably and safely possible after successful test completion. The written test will not have to be repeated if the flight attempt is completed within one year of taking the written test. Tests should be retained until the completion of the certification flight and sent with the application form to NAR Headquarters.
6. Tests are available from:

Stephen Lubliner
9968 E. Domenic Lane
Tucson, AZ 85730
(520) 296-1689 (home)
[email protected]

Tests will typically be provided to a certification team member or to a Section officer (e.g., advisor, president). Tests can be provided to the individual on a case by case basis to be evaluated when the test is requested. The tests are sealed to prevent accidental disclosure of the questions. The tests should remain sealed until taken. Allow one week minimum prior to a certification attempt to receive the test in the mail.

Section advisors or officers can request a supply of tests (typically three to 12 tests) in advance of launches or Section events. Address requests to the above address.

# Certification at this level permits single or multiple motor rocket flights with motors having a maximum total impulse of 5120.00 Newton seconds."

end quote

The only gotcha that I came across was the NAR website had a revision of the study questions that was older than the L2 test I took. No big deal, I still passed.

Patrick

If you just read the questions and answers over and over again, you will memorize them. Don't worry about the test. I read all the questions and memorized them in October, didn't look at them until May, studied them for about 10 minutes before the test, and I got a 100. Don't worry about it. Make sure you get pics of the flight!

I've got another question for all you L2 brains.

The section on "Range and Safety Practices" has a few questions that ask "what is the minimum safe distances from a high power rocket containing a " single "I" motor; two "H" motors and two "K" motors.

My question is this; Is there a system that this distance is figured out or do I just need to memorize this distances?

The answers for the above questions are;100 ft, 200 ft and 500 ft

Rocketmaniac,

There are not set patterns to memorize...You just need to know the info. The question on clustering can always throw you off as it is one impulse class up from the total you are flying. I have had the pleasure of giving the NAR test to many people over the years and that is one that tends to get them. Note, I am not telling you anything that is not on the website. If you can answer ALL off the questions on the web correctly, the same exact questions in a smaller random quantity will be on the test. It almost got the guy I tested last week, but he remembered it.

Carl

Are these questions from the NAR test? I don't remember any of them on TRA.

Thanks, I thought I was going nuts.

Just remember, if you get in a bind on your test, the answer is always 42.

Originally posted by PGerringer
Thanks, I thought I was going nuts.

Just remember, if you get in a bind on your test, the answer is always 42.

In the Air Force we would use the clock method. if the second hand was between the 12 and 3 answer A, between 3 and 6 answer B, between 6 and 9 answer C and between 9 and 12 answer D

Can someone explain temperature cycling? The test question seems straight forward, just wanted to know more about it.

In the Air Force we would use the clock method. if the second hand was between the 12 and 3 answer A, between 3 and 6 answer B, between 6 and 9 answer C and between 9 and 12 answer D

Too much work. I always rely on good ole ABACADABA. ;) :p

Back